Green days attitude

scottrowan200

I can tell the difference but they didn't change that much. <<<As for interviews I mean. They're always funny and honest and even when you notice they don't wanna be there anymore they can handle it pretty cool and make it through with those cute smiles and funny comments (Tré, specially <3) :happy:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite weird, when you think about it most of Billie's lyrics pre-Trilogy are relatable in some way (be it mental issues, generalised politics, whatever), whereas on the Trilogy it's very much lifestyle-based, and as such harder to relate to. I mean, even their more political songs can be related to on a personal level because Billie's just such a clever lyricist, but when it comes to Dos, it's like... if you're not into wild, debauched parties and fucking random strangers, what is there to relate to? There's not even much clever word play to relate to when all else fails, which was one of the key elements of his writing up until at least Warning.

isn't Dookie kind of lifestyle based though?

Exactly...

People change and mature over the course of 20 years? Mind = blown :P

Also they say how they would alway want to keep ticket prices low. Because why do they need money ect

Around the same time and before that, they also often went out of their way to point out that just because they'd kept ticket prices low (and even made a loss on tours because of it), it didn't mean it was something they particularly stood for or that it was something they'd always do. They found themselves able to do that at that time, didn't mean it would be the same on every tour. Wish I could remember which interviews it was but they've definitely said things along those lines.

Besides, they do still keep prices low by today's standards. They have a more expensive show to put on and all the hundreds of people involved need to be paid for it, not just them. They even made a loss on the 21st CB tour because of keeping prices low. They might not be as insanely cheap as in Dookie times but they're still reasonable compared to prices for most acts as successful as them.

Angry/depressed/bored Billie makes the best music. If he doesn't recapture some of that negativity his songwriting is only going to suffer more. He's far too content now, he's got nothing to be angry about.

Have you heard the lyrics on any of their recent albums? How is that content?! The stuff he's angry/concerned about has changed of course and he looks at things in a more mature way, but I wouldn't say he comes across as content in his lyrics by any means.

I definitely relate more to the angry and disillusioned lyrics like on Insomniac. That's because of where I am in my life now though. I have a shitty job that I hate. I have medical problems that make me miserable every day.

So naturally I'm not the happiest person out there and I can find some familiarity in the songs. Not to say that there aren't people way worse off than me or anything, of course there are...but it doesn't mean I can't be unhappy.

Have you heard the lyrics on any of their recent albums? How is that content?! The stuff he's angry/concerned about has changed of course and he looks at things in a more mature way, but I wouldn't say he comes across as content in his lyrics by any means.

He doesn't come across as content in his lyrics, the anger of them feels forced though. Can you honestly say that songs like Loss of Control or Let Yourself Go have anything close to the sheer venom of Platypus or No Pride or Chump? They sound like the petulant rage of a manchild.

However, certain songs from the Trilogy still have that bite. Lazy Bones of course, and X Kid. Two songs that were intensely personal and difficult for him to write. It's almost as if the Trilogy is a veneer thrown up by Billie and those songs are his real thoughts leaking though. Or he might just have scraped the barrel of personal experience too much and now all he's left with are dumb songs about clichés and sex.

He doesn't come across as content in his lyrics, the anger of them feels forced though. Can you honestly say that songs like Loss of Control or Let Yourself Go have anything close to the sheer venom of Platypus or No Pride or Chump? They sound like the petulant rage of a manchild.

However, certain songs from the Trilogy still have that bite. Lazy Bones of course, and X Kid. Two songs that were intensely personal and difficult for him to write. It's almost as if the Trilogy is a veneer thrown up by Billie and those songs are his real thoughts leaking though. Or he might just have scraped the barrel of personal experience too much and now all he's left with are dumb songs about clichés and sex.

Well I agree with you on Lazy Bones and X-Kid. I don't think that means the rest is forced though, just as on other albums not everything is angry or extremely near the knuckle. I'd say there's petulant rage as well as sheer venom to be found on any of their albums. There's less sheer venom for sure but since that's never been all they're about it doesn't bother me much.

Kind of, but it seems very personal at the same time, to me. Themes of growing up, boredom, paranoia and anger come through a lot stronger than anything to do with lifestyle, like on Dos.

You forgot that the Trilogy was supposed to be FUN. They said 'Fuck it, we want to release this songs...YOLO'. Those songs werent supposed to be so deep (However the're some deep songs on the trilogy actually).

Give the guys a break geez... wait for the next album. stop whining.

You forgot that the Trilogy was supposed to be FUN. They said 'Fuck it, we want to release this songs...YOLO'. Those songs werent supposed to be so deep (However the're some deep songs on the trilogy actually).

you said YOLO

you said YOLO

Yeah HAHAHAH. I like to say it, but like a joke.. okay? :ermm:. Dont think I'm one of those... y'know. :lol:

Yeah HAHAHAH. I like to say it, but like a joke.. okay? :ermm:. Dont think I'm one of those... y'know. :lol:

ok good haha

That's pretty much my point. They were really happy making the albums, and they sucked. Big time.

There's a difference between whining and well thought out, reasoned criticism of the band's work. Maybe we wouldn't be so disappointed if we didn't love them so much and know how great they can be. "Stop whining" isn't much of a counterpoint to that, that's like saying "yes, you're right, and I can't think of anything to respond with so I'll just tell you to shut up."

There's a difference between whining and well thought out, reasoned criticism of the band's work. Maybe we wouldn't be so disappointed if we didn't love them so much and know how great they can be. "Stop whining" isn't much of a counterpoint to that, that's like saying "yes, you're right, and I can't think of anything to respond with so I'll just tell you to shut up."

He's a douche on almost every thread and I can't be one for one post?, C'mon.

He's a douche on almost every thread and I can't be one for one post?, C'mon.

Hardly. And if you think that, why lower yourself?

This. No good music ever came from happy circumstances. Even with the happiness that clearly came with the success of American Idiot, they were still angry at all the shit in the world, and that's how Breakdown managed to be good. But in career terms they've got everything now, which is why there's no edge to the Trilogy and it's mostly poor sex jokes.

Yeah, it's hard for them to still be the green day we want them to be when all the angst that made the has run out. However, I have a feeling Billie might have wrote a lot during his rehab and maybe when they come around again they'll have a handfull of 12 songs that actually have some kind of substance to them.

That's pretty much my point. They were really happy making the albums, and they sucked. Big time.

By all accounts they were happy when making most of their albums though, look at them in the Warning documentary for example. They enjoy making music together and have lots of fun in the studio, that isn't a new thing. Writing is another matter, Billie's gone through good and bad things throughout his life and has written about both on all Green Day's albums (aside from maybe Insomniac when he was at his angriest). You can hardly say he was 100% happy and free from problems when writing the lyrics for the trilogy knowing what we know about his substance problems or even just listening to the lyrics. Not buying the black and white happy/unhappy theory :P

Aside from songs like Fuck Time and Makeout Party, I don't really get why people think the trilogy is any less meaningful than some of their other stuff. If you just looked at Longview as what it is (a song about wanking) you'd definitely think it was meaningless, but people don't see it that way because we know there's a deeper message about loneliness and whatnot. We don't even really know what a lot of the trilogy is about, and we assume it's just random shit because of how we see Billie, which doesn't help, but there's songs like Brutal Love, X-Kid, etc which obviously go deeper even if you don't think the others do.

Billie was a millionaire in what we know as a happy marriage when he wrote most of his albums, so I don't really get why people think he's different in that way, either. Fame and money don't make a person happy by any means, their problems are still there and whilst they don't have to worry about some of the things we do, they have other issues that we don't.

I totally get the whole. People chance. Mature and grow older

Perspectives and opinions change ect

I'm more just looking at this with curiosity and just too see what you all think

As i said it seems that they are trying more so to alienate themselves more to prove they are not sellouts after the backlash of dookie. Since some songs on insomniac touch on the subject

Pars of that interview with billie stoping the band from justifying them selfs and talking about how he hates celebs ect

Just so strange

Tre is just fucked up as per haha

Also I don't see why this should be closed

It's a discussion

One that I personally find interesting

And wanted to see what you all thought

What about the ticket price comments lol

They ain't cheap now haha even after they cut production ( compared to 21cb tour that must have cost a bit to run )

I think the ticket prices issues are because it's easier to illegally download music now. Tour used to be about promoting an album. Now the artists have to earn a lot more money off their tours.

I think their ticket prices are still immensely cheap for such a huge band.

As for the happy/unhappy songwriting theory - I agree with Hermione that it's not a black and white situation. I don't think the point is whether or not Billie is happy when he's writing, but whether or not he believes in what he's writing. When that passion is there, you can feel it. Billie is at his best when he's writing from his purest emotions, because he's brilliant at connecting with his audience when he does that. Those emotions don't need to always be negative, though.

Personally, I couldn't connect with some of the trilogy music because they weren't quite as introspective as most of Billie's writing - they were more about sex and partying (with several exceptions of completely brilliant writing sprinkled throughout - Lazy Bones and Brutal Love are IMO two of the best songs he's ever written), which is fine and dandy if that's what he wanted to write about, but those weren't really emotions that I could click with.

As for "older Billie" and "current Billie" - I'd be disturbed if he never changed his attitude! He grew up. And I think that's great. There's nothing cool about still acting like a child when you have a wife and children of your own. I know I'm only 20, but I like and relate much better to who he has become over the past several years than who he was during the beginning of their career. But I've always been a happy and (hopefully) fairly mature person, so that's probably why.

Billie was a millionaire in what we know as a happy marriage when he wrote most of his albums, so I don't really get why people think he's different in that way, either. Fame and money don't make a person happy by any means, their problems are still there and whilst they don't have to worry about some of the things we do, they have other issues that we don't.

That's a very good point. A band in their position could easily laugh all the way to the bank and never write anything meaningful ever again. But, having built their empire out of literally nothing, they’ve chosen to use their platform to stand up for people who need the empathetic voice which they can provide. It would have been all too easy for them to join the hordes of rancid pop tarts and start employing nameless idiots to pen crass, tuneless non-songs about shagging strangers in club toilets for them, but instead they remained true to their convictions. It’d be grossly unfair to suggest that the acquisition of wealth through one’s own success erodes a person’s ability to care about political issues, sympathise with people worse off than them, or have beliefs which aren’t stereotypically congruent with being rich. But that's part of the problem. As soon as they write a song that isn't as meaningful as something like Holiday, it's easy to criticise them for it because they're so good at writing songs with important, deep meanings.

Archived