Green days attitude

scottrowan200

This may seem strange

After watching broadway idiot I've been sitting on you tube watching old green day footage

This one from just before insomniac came out

It's crazy how much the guys have matured and grown up and changed

Billie seems so dull and rude and u happy

Compared to now. Like in broAd way idiot how happy he is and doing the show ect

Then back in 95 he was talking about how he hates actors and musicians ect

Also they say how they would alway want to keep ticket prices low. Because why do they need money ect

Then 2013 tickets are around £60

Just interested about how you guys feel about this and just to start a conversation up

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this thread doesn't turn into a shitstorm I know nothing.

Just to throw my two cents in there: while I greatly prefer current Billie to Dookie-era Billie (in terms of live performances anyway [save the "JOY"-ing and, recently, his fucked-up voice], not his ego), I don't think he's all that happy these days, either.

I just cant if it's an act ... For his image to be that punk i don't give a fuck. Dull image that went along with insomniac as opposed to the colourful fun dookie time

Angry/depressed/bored Billie makes the best music. If he doesn't recapture some of that negativity his songwriting is only going to suffer more. He's far too content now, he's got nothing to be angry about.

Angry/depressed/bored Billie makes the best music. If he doesn't recapture some of that negativity his songwriting is only going to suffer more. He's far too content now, he's got nothing to be angry about.

I'm rather worried that even not being content isn't enough. I'm sure he was far from happy pre-IHEart, and that's what yielded us the Trilogy. Maybe he's just written every good song he's going to.

I'm rather worried that even not being content isn't enough. I'm sure he was far from happy pre-IHEart, and that's what yielded us the Trilogy. Maybe he's just written every good song he's going to.

I don't even really count that as Billie. He was drinking and drugging way out of control. Almost like a different person.

There's no other explanation for the Trilogy :P

This may seem strange

After watching broadway idiot I've been sitting on you tube watching old green day footage

This one from just before insomniac came out

It's crazy how much the guys have matured and grown up and changed

Billie seems so dull and rude and u happy

Compared to now. Like in broAd way idiot how happy he is and doing the show ect

Then back in 95 he was talking about how he hates actors and musicians ect

Also they say how they would alway want to keep ticket prices low. Because why do they need money ect

Then 2013 tickets are around £60

Just interested about how you guys feel about this and just to start a conversation up

Yes!! I've noticed this so much! I often wonder if 1995 green day would like the current green day.

People change over time, they grow up. I was a total introvert in high school who felt kinda suicidal, now I'm generally happy ( not all the time) and I enjoy being social. So the trilogy was not their greatest piece of work, even Bob Dylan and the Beatles had some shitty songs (in my opinion).

This thread will probably be closed anyway.

This. No good music ever came from happy circumstances. Even with the happiness that clearly came with the success of American Idiot, they were still angry at all the shit in the world, and that's how Breakdown managed to be good. But in career terms they've got everything now, which is why there's no edge to the Trilogy and it's mostly poor sex jokes.

I totally get the whole. People chance. Mature and grow older

Perspectives and opinions change ect

I'm more just looking at this with curiosity and just too see what you all think

As i said it seems that they are trying more so to alienate themselves more to prove they are not sellouts after the backlash of dookie. Since some songs on insomniac touch on the subject

Pars of that interview with billie stoping the band from justifying them selfs and talking about how he hates celebs ect

Just so strange

Tre is just fucked up as per haha

Also I don't see why this should be closed

It's a discussion

One that I personally find interesting

And wanted to see what you all thought

What about the ticket price comments lol

They ain't cheap now haha even after they cut production ( compared to 21cb tour that must have cost a bit to run )

They've just grown up is all! Like billie said, "it's sexy to be an angry old man, not a bitter old bastard". He's said himself he wishes he'd enjoyed that time a lot more, not been as grumpy. I guess it was a part of who he was at the time.

As for ticket prices, everything gets more expensive over time. Twenty years ago a Mars bar cost 20 odd pence, now it's pretty much triple that haha.

I miss "old Billie," personally. I mean, I love "new Billie," too, but I can't identify with him anymore. But 22-year-old, "everyone is a fucking asshole, I am fucking poor, and I am so fucking angry" Billie? Oh man, of course I can identify with that. I don't see myself in a 40-something year-old man who has a house worth millions of dollars and a beach house worth a million dollars and 20 guitars, a wife, and two kids. I just don't get it.

In regards to music, I could relate to it all until the Trilogy happened. Before American Idiot, even though Warning is a bit more poppier and upbeat than the normal stuff I listen to, I could always find something in the lyrics and the music that sounds like me. With American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, I felt attached to it because the world sucks, politics suck, and being a loner going nowhere sucks. The Trilogy is about sex, and I don't get that. I can't identify with 30-something songs about sex. Maybe one or two, but definitely not three albums' worth. So I prefer "old Billie" because he was young and angry and he knew how to talk about it. I like "new Billie" but I just don't understand him, and that makes it a lot harder for me to get into their new stuff.

They need money to keep making music and keep touring, the price has probably gone up a lot since 1994/95.

Ticket prices have clearly gone up at a faster rate and inflation, though. It's partly down to the fact Green Day don't have a 360 deal, so they have to pay for everything themselves. Given the size of the production on the 21st Century Breakdown tour prices were bound to go up, and you also have to take into account the venues and promoters, who basically set the price. Green Day are big business now, and as inconvenient as it is we kind of have to accept that their ticket prices are going to continue going through the roof. They're not even that bad compared to a lot of similar level acts, but I paid three times as much to see them in 2010 as I did in 2005.

That's nothing to do with their attitude, though. It's because they're more successful and people are willing to pay seemingly anything to see them. I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper if it was just up to the band.

It's not crazy at all that they've changed in 19 years :P That's a lot of time, if they hadn't changed then that would be crazy.

Basically, they used to be twats, but aren't any more. I prefer their attitude now.

As for ticket prices - they're a bigger band now, they can get away with charging more money.

I miss "old Billie," personally. I mean, I love "new Billie," too, but I can't identify with him anymore. But 22-year-old, "everyone is a fucking asshole, I am fucking poor, and I am so fucking angry" Billie? Oh man, of course I can identify with that. I don't see myself in a 40-something year-old man who has a house worth millions of dollars and a beach house worth a million dollars and 20 guitars, a wife, and two kids. I just don't get it.

I think that's really interesting, like people can relate to the different albums at different stages in their lives. I was listening to Nimrod the other day and I remembered how I used to put on Reject, Platypus and Take Back when I was angry back in my school days. Yesterday I found that I no longer related to them in the same way, I'm a little less angst-y now :lol: but they remind me of a time when I used to feel like that and the music helped me feel better.

But I want the wonderful man to be happy... :(

I think that's really interesting, like people can relate to the different albums at different stages in their lives. I was listening to Nimrod the other day and I remembered how I used to put on Reject, Platypus and Take Back when I was angry back in my school days. Yesterday I found that I no longer related to them in the same way, I'm a little less angst-y now :lol: but they remind me of a time when I used to feel like that and the music helped me feel better.

Yeah, I do think it's interesting. Then again, Billie has proven that he can still make his work relatable, even if they can't relate directly. I mean, I can relate to American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown even though he wrote them when he was in the same stage of his life (or pretty close to it) as he is now. It's just that now he's alienating his audience. I mean, I'm all for songs about sex but I can't identify with 30 of them. I can identify with them as long as there's something else of substance on the record (like he did with American Idiot or 21CB). It's interesting and I feel he could do a lot better than he did on the Trilogy. He knows how people feel and he knows how to communicate with people. He just didn't utilize that skill with the Trilogy.

Yeah, I do think it's interesting. Then again, Billie has proven that he can still make his work relatable, even if they can't relate directly. I mean, I can relate to American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown even though he wrote them when he was in the same stage of his life (or pretty close to it) as he is now. It's just that now he's alienating his audience. I mean, I'm all for songs about sex but I can't identify with 30 of them. I can identify with them as long as there's something else of substance on the record (like he did with American Idiot or 21CB). It's interesting and I feel he could do a lot better than he did on the Trilogy. He knows how people feel and he knows how to communicate with people. He just didn't utilize that skill with the Trilogy.

It's quite weird, when you think about it most of Billie's lyrics pre-Trilogy are relatable in some way (be it mental issues, generalised politics, whatever), whereas on the Trilogy it's very much lifestyle-based, and as such harder to relate to. I mean, even their more political songs can be related to on a personal level because Billie's just such a clever lyricist, but when it comes to Dos, it's like... if you're not into wild, debauched parties and fucking random strangers, what is there to relate to? There's not even much clever word play to relate to when all else fails, which was one of the key elements of his writing up until at least Warning.

His Steve Jobs tangent sure did wonders for him...

You are correct. Hopefully his during/post rehab period was a catalyst, even with him having recovered (by all accounts) at this time.

It's quite weird, when you think about it most of Billie's lyrics pre-Trilogy are relatable in some way (be it mental issues, generalised politics, whatever), whereas on the Trilogy it's very much lifestyle-based, and as such harder to relate to. I mean, even their more political songs can be related to on a personal level because Billie's just such a clever lyricist, but when it comes to Dos, it's like... if you're not into wild, debauched parties and fucking random strangers, what is there to relate to? There's not even much clever word play to relate to when all else fails, which was one of the key elements of his writing up until at least Warning.

In retrospect, with the Occupy WS movement being dead and all, it makes the lyrics of 99 Revs seem even more foolish. Surely Billie new the situation would blow over and become unrelatable in the future.

In retrospect, with the Occupy WS movement being dead and all, it makes the lyrics of 99 Revs seem even more foolish. Surely Billie new the situation would blow over and become unrelatable in the future.

That song would have been great if it had been released at the right time. They should have put it out as a standalone single, if it was finished by that point. I'd have left it off the album entirely given how outdated it already was by that point. To name the tour after it and play it first every night just seemed ridiculous. You'd think they'd know this, given how American Idiot's success was partly down to how acutely relevant it was. It should have been obvious that the timing of political songs is just as important as the content itself.

That song would have been great if it had been released at the right time. They should have put it out as a standalone single, if it was finished by that point. I'd have left it off the album entirely given how outdated it already was by that point. To name the tour after it and play it first every night just seemed ridiculous. You'd think they'd know this, given how American Idiot's success was partly down to how acutely relevant it was. It should have been obvious that the timing of political songs is just as important as the content itself.

Even now the last minute of the song makes it seem like it wasn't finished anyway. Uuhh... yeah, let's just repeat x 50, should work.

Placing the song as the opener also made it seem like a replacement for KYE, I definitely got the same vibe from both songs live last March. That said, Nuclear Family and Let Yourself Go both do a better job of that.

Even now the last minute of the song makes it seem like it wasn't finished anyway. Uuhh... yeah, let's just repeat x 50, should work.

Placing the song as the opener also made it seem like a replacement for KYE, I definitely got the same vibe from both songs live last March. That said, Nuclear Family and Let Yourself Go both do a better job of that.

See also: Uptight.

Yeah, I see what you mean. If they had to use a song from the Trilogy as the opener they should have gone with Nuclear Family. To go from American Idiot, to 21st Century Breakdown, to 99 Revolutions as the opener was a real disappointment. There's no need for both, because as you say, there's already KYE. No one needs two piss poor protest songs back to back, however energetic they are.

Archived