Dollyrots' Reddit IAmA (GREEN DAY RELATED!)

BCap

Before y'all get your panties in a bunch, this actually IS Green Day related - you'll see in just a minute.

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone's heard of The Dollyrots, but they're really fucking awesome. For those of you who have: I love you. For those of you who haven't: they're a pop-punk band from Florida who aren't huge (yet), but are really, REALLY fucking amazing. Their song "Because I'm Awesome" has had some mileage in popular culture (particularly on TV), and the band has opened up for The Buzzcocks, Paramore, Joan Jett (whose label they were signed to), Bowling for Soup (who they are very close with), Screeching Weasel, and others. They just released a new album AND their lead singer/bassist Kelly had a baby with guitarist Luis.

NOW we get to the Green Day part: shortly after the IAmA started (if you don't know what it is, look it up), I asked this question:

"Kelly, Luis, have either of you ever had the chance to meet any of your musical idols, or other people who have left you star-struck? Got any famous fans? Also, any chance you guys might consider putting out some stuff on cassette since it seems to be becoming fashionable again? Rise Against just did it in September, and Green Day is going to in April, and they are both at the top of the heap - and you guys are easily up there with them!

Anyways, can't wait to see you guys next time you come by DC/MD! Good luck with the baby, and congratulations with the album (and vice-versa)!"

This was their response (I bolded and underlined the relevant part):

"HAHHA... we've been really lucky to meet a lot of our idols. I usually get star struck but think I fake being cool pretty well. Joan Jett was the scariest and in the end the SWEETEST. The most awkward... I met Billy Idol and asked for a photo. My friend had a new phone and took a video of Mr. Idol rolling his eyes at our ineptitude. The biggest surprise? We met Drew Carey and handed him a CD... he proceeded to freak out, "Wait. You're the Dollyrots? You're shitting me? Can we get a photo?" Yeah. That was awesome. And at SXSW last year we met Tre Cool. He has us on his iPod! Cassettes are fun but who can even play them? I think we'll stick to vinyl! :)"

Also, I think I saw somewhere else that said that, while they'd love to play with Green Day sometime, they'd be intimidated, so they'd rather open for Foxboro Hot Tubs, so I guess you can say that they really appreciate Green Day quite a lot, too!

(God, I am a chatterbox!)

I love Reddit. There is a sub called something like /r/fansonstage or something, and Green Day has 3 or 4 of the all time most upvoted links.

They would make an awesome opening band for Green Day, so this is nice to know. While they might be intimated by the idea now, if somebody asked them, things would change. If Best Coast could, with far less experience up their sleeves (Bethany's first band was...well, different); why couldn't The Dollyrots?

Oh, and their new album is out as of yesterday, perhaps somebody is interested: http://thedollyrots.bandcamp.com/album/barefoot-and-pregnant :)

Funny how nobody before me left a meaningful response, btw.

As you can tell my my avatar on here, I'm a big fan of the D-Rots! Pledged to them on Pledge Music so I got their new album two weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

I remember when Kelly or Tre (can't remember which) posted a pic on Instagram when they met up at SXSW last year and I thought it was really cool.

I could definitely see them opening for Green Day, much like Best Coast did. But since the D-Rots are more upbeat and punkish, I can see more Green Day fans liking them. Best Coast was fine, but just too mellow for GD fans.

As you can tell my my avatar on here, I'm a big fan of the D-Rots! Pledged to them on Pledge Music so I got their new album two weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

I remember when Kelly or Tre (can't remember which) posted a pic on Instagram when they met up at SXSW last year and I thought it was really cool.

I could definitely see them opening for Green Day, much like Best Coast did. But since the D-Rots are more upbeat and punkish, I can see more Green Day fans liking them. Best Coast was fine, but just too mellow for GD fans.

I thought you were just a fan of fucking like rabbits. My mistake.

Will have to check these guys out.

FYI it was Kelly it's in the pictures of Green day with famoes people I posted it ... I also made their thread on here I love them!!

I've been trying to get them to do a stage it for GD like they did the ramones and Beatles

And Trè has California beach boy on his iPod incase you wanted to know;)!

FYI it was Kelly it's in the pictures of Green day with famoes people I posted it ... I also made their thread on here I love them!!

I've been trying to get them to do a stage it for GD like they did the ramones and Beatles

And Trè has California beach boy on his iPod incase you wanted to know;)!

How'd you find that out specifically? Do you stalk Tre or something? I always figured that he'd be the one doing the stalking XD

How'd you find that out specifically? Do you stalk Tre or something? I always figured that he'd be the one doing the stalking XD

Nope haha they follow me on twitter! Amd I tweeted them and we got talking about Trè and that picture and they tweeted me and told me

Here is the tweet - https://twitter.com/thedollyrots/status/431516928671100928

That crap that I missed the Iama on the Dollyrots. I really should sub IAmA.

Don't feel too bad - I remember I missed Mark Hamill's (which turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be: a bunch of people asking about Star Wars, since he OBVIOUSLY has never been in anything else). I was all set to ask him a question about The Big Red One, too!

Cassettes are fashionable again? Anyway, I can still play them since my car is too old for CDs.

Don't feel too bad - I remember I missed Mark Hamill's (which turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be: a bunch of people asking about Star Wars, since he OBVIOUSLY has never been in anything else). I was all set to ask him a question about The Big Red One, too!

Mark Hamill has been in other movies???? Who knew...

(Joke I loved him as The Joker on Batman TAS)

Cassettes are fashionable again? Anyway, I can still play them since my car is too old for CDs.

Sort of, yeah - Green Day is putting out Demolicious on tape, Rise Against made a cassette of Long Forgotten Songs for one of the pre-order bundles, Foreverly was just released on cassette, and Punk Goes 90s Vol. 2 is getting released on red cassette tape as well (it's limited to a run of 500 tapes, though, and only sold through the company's website).

Cassettes wil always be lovely.

Goo

Cassettes wil always be lovely.

Yes, I agree. There is something classy about them. They just make me nostalgic because they remind me of my grandma. :)

Archived