My theory of the Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack

GreenDay_Demolicious

I can't seem to find any of the articles. Same deal with the thing about "Too Much Too Soon" being on C&V.

Billie said Too Much Too Soon was on C&V in a radio interview, we all listened to it and there was lots of discussion about it at the time. Someone recently found the thread about it in another thread where this came up, but the link to listen to it didn't work anymore. I'm not going to bother to find it again since the link doesn't work, but he definitely said it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can find them in the magazine articles post on gda...

check the RS or billboard but any of the big articles that was published in 2012

Pay me my current hourly rate and I'll do the research for you... lol

I have no idea about the too much too soon thing as far as I know thats a b side from the AI single

Check the RS interview the one that talked about the trilogy or one of those articles that was published before the trilogy

If you're going to be my research monkey, I'm going to pay you accordingly! :-P

I checked a couple of the Rolling Stone articles. Haven't gotten to the Billboard write-ups yet, but Amy was mentioned as one of the home demos having made the final cut.

If you're going to be my research monkey, I'm going to pay you accordingly! :-P

I checked a couple of the Rolling Stone articles. Haven't gotten to the Billboard write-ups yet, but Amy was mentioned as one of the home demos having made the final cut.

My current rate is 100/hr but just for GDC I'll do 60/hr

Samuel Clemens always said to be suspicious of people who work for you for an hourly rate (or something like that - it was something about plumbers).

Also, please tell me that rate is in Woolongs or yen or pounds or some other non-dollar currency (rubles especially - they are at an all-time low right now).

Samuel Clemens always said to be suspicious of people who work for you for an hourly rate (or something like that - it was something about plumbers).

Also, please tell me that rate is in Woolongs or yen or pounds or some other non-dollar currency (rubles especially - they are at an all-time low right now).

Well I dont normally work hourly rates but that's the breakdown of what I earn if you break down by hourly

And no idea about the other currency

Done. 60 Hershey's Kisses for every hour of work you put in. If you want to break it down even further, that's arguably more chocolate per minute than any person needs.

Done. 60 Hershey's Kisses for every hour of work you put in. If you want to break it down even further, that's arguably more chocolate per minute than any person needs.

Hey im may be fat but I dont accept candy ill take cash or debit/credit

Hey im may be fat but I dont accept candy ill take cash or debit/credit

Mmmm, dollars? I dunno, that's a little rich for my blood.

Mmmm, dollars? I dunno, that's a little rich for my blood.

I didnt get where im at by being cheap lol

Also I think Horseshoes and Handgrenades was actually written circa 2003. I can't remember if they said it was written "For American Idiot" or "Around 2003" but that could be a possibility

Are you sure about this? Because Gloria is spelled out in the lyrics at the end of the song.

Are you sure about this? Because Gloria is spelled out in the lyrics at the end of the song.

I remember hearing that as well, that it was one of the first songs they wrote for it and written around that time. Wouldn't have had to be exactly the same, they easily could've added the GLORIA bit later.

I can't seem to find any of the articles. Same deal with the thing about "Too Much Too Soon" being on C&V.

The Trilogy, though, sounds sort of C&V-ish, now that I think of it. "Too Much Too Soon" seems like it would have fit perfectly on one of the albums (although "Let Yourself Go" was very thematically similar, albeit inferior [in my opinion]).

It really does have that same sound I would have imagined C&V having.

I'd love to see the source on that. I thought they always said Modern World was the first one they wrote for 21CB though?

I always pictured C&V sounding like a cross between Warning and Nimrod, which I believed is what the band described it as. Obviously they went with American Idiot because it was a much better career choice and had much more potential, although it would have been cool to hear the album and see what road they would have went down in that scenario. Before American Idiot, Green Day was long forgotten about. I find it hard to believe that they would be where they are today had they released C&V instead.

Like I said before, this album is the missing piece between "Old Green Day" and "New Green Day". It's because of this album that we have these two different ideas of Green Day. Punk kids, and eyeliner adults. This album is the missing piece that connects the two

I'd love to see the source on that. I thought they always said Modern World was the first one they wrote for 21CB though?

That doesn't contradict anything.

I always pictured C&V sounding like a cross between Warning and Nimrod, which I believed is what the band described it as. Obviously they went with American Idiot because it was a much better career choice and had much more potential, although it would have been cool to hear the album and see what road they would have went down in that scenario. Before American Idiot, Green Day was long forgotten about. I find it hard to believe that they would be where they are today had they released C&V instead.

I feel like it would've been more like a Warning X Dookie or Tre('s more guitar heavy stuff)

Like I said before, this album is the missing piece between "Old Green Day" and "New Green Day". It's because of this album that we have these two different ideas of Green Day. Punk kids, and eyeliner adults. This album is the missing piece that connects the two

I hope someday they decide to release that connector. Although it's kind of nice, it being the Green Day fans little secret.

Nimrod is the connecting piece between Old Green Day and New Green Day. Too Much Too Soon and C&V are more like American Idiot than they are anything from before.

There's just no way Warning gets to be on the Old Green Day side of the division.

Nimrod is the connecting piece between Old Green Day and New Green Day. Too Much Too Soon and C&V are more like American Idiot than they are anything from before.

There's just no way Warning gets to be on the Old Green Day side of the division.

Nimrod, Warning, and C&V make up that middle section between Old and New Green Day. None of them really fit in to the sections as they all seem to be really experimental compared to the other albums!

I have to go with Zack on this one. Nimrod. was the start of their experimentation with different styles, and the sound is clearly a mix between their more "punk" offerings and the arena rock of the 2000s. Warning had social commentary to spare, and Billie was already telling stories with his lyrics ("Misery" is their first third-person song, and "Deadbeat Holiday" is clearly describing someone else); in addition to that, they were moving towards regular incorporation of acoustic guitars, and Billie's voice sounds very similar to AI. AI is clearly the point where they became an arena rock band, but Warning is firmly in the New GD camp.

Technically, they've had four stages: Old Green Day (39/Smooth-Kerplunk), "Sellout" Green Day (Dookie-Nimrod), New Green Day/"Sellout" Green Day Mk. II (Warning-21CB), and Um...What? Green Day (the Trilogy). :P

Dookie and Insomniac certainly had narrative and social commentary as well. Brat, Coming Clean, etc...

Dookie and Insomniac certainly had narrative and social commentary as well. Brat, Coming Clean, etc...

But they also had that older, rougher sound like Kerplunk.

Sorry, should've specified--I meant specifically *political* commentary (Minority, arguably the title track).

Sorry, should've specified--I meant specifically *political* commentary (Minority, arguably the title track).

Macy's Day Parade and Prosthetic Head as well. At least if you mean "political" the way that people think AI is political, which isn't really governmental politics but rather media and the social status.

Coming Clean is autobiographical.

Archived