My theory of the Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack

GreenDay_Demolicious

General question: Why is the thread called "Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack"?

Will there be a C&V movie?

jk about the 2nd

:P

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General question: Why is the thread called "Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack"?

Will there be a C&V movie?

jk about the 2nd

:P

Because trolls

They're a stronger possibility than some others mentioned. Did OP mention Dropout and Sleepyhead?

They have about the same probability as some of the ones mentioned. They're just shots in the dark that every wants to insist would have been on C&V.

Yes he mentioned Dropout and Sleepyhead was just confirmed for Warning, so I don't know how likely that one is. Clusterbomb is different since it was on Warning and then stuck around to be on AI.

They have about the same probability as some of the ones mentioned. They're just shots in the dark that every wants to insist would have been on C&V.

Yes he mentioned Dropout and Sleepyhead was just confirmed for Warning, so I don't know how likely that one is. Clusterbomb is different since it was on Warning and then stuck around to be on AI.

Mike said Dropout and Sleepyhead were on it in the DJROSSAR interview in '11

Did he say Sleepyhead?

yep, the video was somewhere in the Demolicious thread can't find it right now. The three he mentioned were dropout, Sleepyhead, and walk away

Did he say Sleepyhead?

yep, the video was somewhere in the Demolicious thread can't find it right now. The three he mentioned were dropout, Sleepyhead, and walk away

I think like any of you have said before, that they were working on a new album but the outcome was too bad so they said tapes got stolen. I also think it was about the publicity. I mean they got more attention by saying the taps got stolen instead of the band just throwing them away.

I'm among the C&V truthers who think that there isn't actually a "lost album" and that "Cigarettes & Valentines" is more than likely just a bunch of recording sessions that resulted in unsatisfying product. The whole "lost album" story always smacked of a narrative they came up with to make the impetus of AI 's creation sound cooler. Plus they never really got that "stolen tapes" story straight to begin with (the album master tapes were stolen? Oh wait, but there were backups? But it "just wasn't the same"? Uhm...hmm.) I have no doubt that "confirmed" C&V songs like "Too Much Too Soon" and "Cigarettes & Valentines" itself are just songs that resulted from these sessions, and were deemed good enough to be relegated to b-side status. Keeping that in mind, I always thought there was a strong possibility "Favorite Son" was from those aborted sessions as well. If you remove the lyric from the context of the Rock Against Bush comp, it can kind of read as the type of early 2000s character piece that Billie was prone to write. This is all just a hunch though, I could be proven wrong.

Long story short, "Cigarettes & Valentines" is probably a bunch of files gathering dust at GD headquarters, waiting for the right opportunity to be released when the back catalogue eventually gets raided. I'd say to expect Demolicious II: Cigarettes & Valentines at some point down the line.

Your post is the one that made the most sense to me, from the one's I've read so far!

A bunch of recording sessions that didn't prouce enough good songs to make a great album.

Also, the 'stolen record' story works as a great marketing strategy. In case American Idiot didn't do well on the charts they could say: "This isn't the album we were gonna put out". And if the record did well, as it did, it would keep all the fans speculating forever about the "lost tapes", as we're doing now.

For me, an album that had: Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter, Favourite Son, Governator and Cigarettes and Valentines in it would be a good one. Those are all good songs in my book. Not better than the one's in AI, but still all good songs!

Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon, Dropout, Walk Away, Sleepyhead for sure. Shoplifter, possibly. Governator to me sounds like it could have originated as a Network song. Lights Out, Minnesota Girl, Things I Heard Today, Favorite Son and Hearts Collide are also possible, but I seem to remember Mike stating in an interview a few years back that there would be no point in releasing the tracks because everyone has heard them in some mangled form or another, so a lot of the songs were probably re-worked into different songs for Money Money 2020, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown and possibly even Uno, Dos & Tre.

If Cigarrete's and Valentines really was from the album, that would have been one hell of an album.

First, I never understood the whole movement of this album being stolen, then The Network appeared and then Green Day jumps in with American Idiot. For me Cigarettes & Valentines was actually Money Money 2020, maybe with some change on the tracklist.

But if they didn't worry about it anymore, why would I? :whistle

First, I never understood the whole movement of this album being stolen, then The Network appeared and then Green Day jumps in with American Idiot. For me Cigarettes & Valentines was actually Money Money 2020, maybe with some change on the tracklist.

But if they didn't worry about it anymore, why would I? :whistle

But C&V was a "upbeat punk" album, while 2020 was a new wave experiment album. We know C&V, Walk Away, and Too Much Too Soon were all on there, there's no way those could've fit in with the 2020 tracks. And if Money Money 2020 is actually C&V, why weren't those tracks on there like Green Day said they were?

But C&V was a "upbeat punk" album, while 2020 was a new wave experiment album. We know C&V, Walk Away, and Too Much Too Soon were all on there, there's no way those could've fit in with the 2020 tracks. And if Money Money 2020 is actually C&V, why weren't those tracks on there like Green Day said they were?

Because they always seem to make changes in the last minute. With songs and lyrics for ex.

¡TRÉ!'s Walk Away was actually on this album? You sure?

Are we being trolled?

List de-bunked

Cigarettes and Valentines (Confirmed)

Dropout (Confirmed)

Walk Away (Confirmed)

I Fought the Law - released before American Idiot - possible

Too Much Too Soon (Confirmed)

Olivia - Played live once in 2010, probably 21CB or Trilogy Outtake

Carpe Diem/Nuclear Family - Written in 2010/2011, earliest of trilogy songs. Most likely not on C&V

Dream Catcher - Soundchecked in 2010 alongside Oh Girl, when Green Day were working on trilogy songs. Probably 21CB or Trilogy outtake

Things I Heard Today - posted on Greenday.com in 2001 as phone message... possible

Favorite Son/Governator - released as AI B-sides, so maybe

Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Murder City was written January 2009 after shooting of Oscar Grant, Modern World was first song written for 21CB

Shoplifter - online only single released before American Idiot.. possible

Stop When the Red Lights Flash/See You Tonight - SWTRLF written in 2010 with early trilogy songs, SYT was done in Billie's home studio

Maria - this was released on the 2001 Waiting single and then re-recorded for Int SH, why would they release it again???

Hybrid Moments - Green Day didn't start playing this one until 2011, so I don't think so.

Roshambo It's possible, but Green Day had multiple projects going in 2003, along with a Christmas album, so this was probably recorded just for The Network.

Life During Wartime - This is a cover of another band that Green Day has never played live. Billie did it accoustic on KALX along with Beastly Bit, but He's in PHGP, so he can play their songs and represent them separately from green day, can't he? Just because he does something solo doesn't mean it's Green Day

Where's the source about "See You Tonight" being recorded at Billie Joe's home studio?

¡TRÉ!'s Walk Away was actually on this album? You sure?

Well Mike said in a 2011 int there was a song on C&V and then Tre comes out and theres a Walk Away

No proof however they are of the same song tho

Again I say C&V would have been one hell of an album!

Where's the source about "See You Tonight" being recorded at Billie Joe's home studio?

Is there proof of this? The only indication I can think of would be the finished track playing underneath footage of Billie recording in the home studio on Cuatro.

Is there proof of this? The only indication I can think of would be the finished track playing underneath footage of Billie recording in the home studio on Cuatro.

It was stated numerous times in articles...

Link please?

I can't seem to find any of the articles. Same deal with the thing about "Too Much Too Soon" being on C&V.

The Trilogy, though, sounds sort of C&V-ish, now that I think of it. "Too Much Too Soon" seems like it would have fit perfectly on one of the albums (although "Let Yourself Go" was very thematically similar, albeit inferior [in my opinion]).

Link please?

You can find them in the magazine articles post on gda...

check the RS or billboard but any of the big articles that was published in 2012

Pay me my current hourly rate and I'll do the research for you... lol

I can't seem to find any of the articles. Same deal with the thing about "Too Much Too Soon" being on C&V.

The Trilogy, though, sounds sort of C&V-ish, now that I think of it. "Too Much Too Soon" seems like it would have fit perfectly on one of the albums (although "Let Yourself Go" was very thematically similar, albeit inferior [in my opinion]).

I have no idea about the too much too soon thing as far as I know thats a b side from the AI single

Check the RS interview the one that talked about the trilogy or one of those articles that was published before the trilogy

Archived