My theory of the Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack

GreenDay_Demolicious

I like to think if Mike or Tre played new Green Day songs someone would've downloaded/kept them. Even if they don't care about them enough to keep their voice messages.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208152315/http://www.greenday.com/byo-ar.php3

There's two counts of "noodling" and four "new songs" (as opposed to the three we know) as well as Tré getting a new drumset which could have had him playing.

That's from October 28th. I'm not sure how far into 2004 we were when these were all removed.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is there is no Cigarettes And Valentines album they made it up to fuck with hardcore fans...

Truth is there is no Cigarettes And Valentines album they made it up to fuck with hardcore fans...

Generally for the sake of discussion we take all presented facts at face value. If you introduce the concept of lying the whole canon just goes to shit.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208152315/http://www.greenday.com/byo-ar.php3

There's two counts of "noodling" and four "new songs" (as opposed to the three we know) as well as Tré getting a new drumset which could have had him playing.

That's from October 28th. I'm not sure how far into 2004 we were when these were all removed.

Damn. Couldn't it just be them talking about new songs and stuff? If not then I don't know what the internet using Green Day fans of the early 2000's were thinking! But I still think if a new song had been there someone would've most likely recorded it, I mean people always get excited about a new song.

I'm among the C&V truthers who think that there isn't actually a "lost album" and that "Cigarettes & Valentines" is more than likely just a bunch of recording sessions that resulted in unsatisfying product. The whole "lost album" story always smacked of a narrative they came up with to make the impetus of AI 's creation sound cooler. Plus they never really got that "stolen tapes" story straight to begin with (the album master tapes were stolen? Oh wait, but there were backups? But it "just wasn't the same"? Uhm...hmm.) I have no doubt that "confirmed" C&V songs like "Too Much Too Soon" and "Cigarettes & Valentines" itself are just songs that resulted from these sessions, and were deemed good enough to be relegated to b-side status. Keeping that in mind, I always thought there was a strong possibility "Favorite Son" was from those aborted sessions as well. If you remove the lyric from the context of the Rock Against Bush comp, it can kind of read as the type of early 2000s character piece that Billie was prone to write. This is all just a hunch though, I could be proven wrong.

Long story short, "Cigarettes & Valentines" is probably a bunch of files gathering dust at GD headquarters, waiting for the right opportunity to be released when the back catalogue eventually gets raided. I'd say to expect Demolicious II: Cigarettes & Valentines at some point down the line.

Generally for the sake of discussion we take all presented facts at face value. If you introduce the concept of lying the whole canon just goes to shit.

Jeez get a sense of humor...

Likely possibilities not mentioned are Lights Out, Hearts Collide, and Clusterbomb (Letterbomb). Lights Out and Hearts Collide sound pre-AI and the missing link from Warning to AI.

What actually happened to the tapes? I can't remember if there was a fire or if they were stolen.

As GD tells it, they were stolen and the backup tapes weren't the same.

Likely possibilities not mentioned are Lights Out, Hearts Collide, and Clusterbomb (Letterbomb). Lights Out and Hearts Collide sound pre-AI and the missing link from Warning to AI.

Forgot to mention Clusterbomb, you're right on that one. The other two are just wild guessing and I'd really like if people would stop bringing them up in these threads.

What actually happened to the tapes? I can't remember if there was a fire or if they were stolen.

They were "stolen".

As GD tells it, they were stolen and the backup tapes weren't the same.

Forgot to mention Clusterbomb, you're right on that one. The other two are just wild guessing and I'd really like if people would stop bringing them up in these threads.

They're a stronger possibility than some others mentioned. Did OP mention Dropout and Sleepyhead?

The part that never made sense to me was the concept of the backup tapes being "not the same."

Is there anyone here who has some experience in this area? I don't have time track down a link, but I vividly remember the guy who ran Ocean Way being interviewed and saying the guys took their "drives" home with them, and so he didn't know how anything could have been stolen. That kind of flies in the face of the tape backup story.

If you work under the assumption that they were recording analog at the time, what's the difference between the original tapes and the backups? When you backup your computer, it's the same data; you can restore from that backup and thus safeguarding yourself against catastrophe. There's no reason to believe that what was left wasn't the same as what was lost.

The whole story stinks. I used to believe they were fucking with us because it coincided with the time during which they were doing Money Money. It seems more and more like they just scrapped the sessions entirely and went back to square one. Like what was said a few posts back, the cover was meant to further sensationalize the story and hype behind AI.

Also came in here to say that a GD studio album is really unlikely to feature cover songs, especially at that point in their career.

High_Hopes_album_Bruce_Springsteen.jpg

18th studio album, 3 covers. But then again, it is The Boss :P

Yeeeah I have doubts about more than half of these. Murder City? American Eulogy? No way. And why would they release Maria again?

Since this stolen album was supposed to be more on politics and stuff, I would consider some of those American Idiot released-as-singles songs possible to be on him.

The part that never made sense to me was the concept of the backup tapes being "not the same."

Is there anyone here who has some experience in this area? I don't have time track down a link, but I vividly remember the guy who ran Ocean Way being interviewed and saying the guys took their "drives" home with them, and so he didn't know how anything could have been stolen. That kind of flies in the face of the tape backup story.

If you work under the assumption that they were recording analog at the time, what's the difference between the original tapes and the backups? When you backup your computer, it's the same data; you can restore from that backup and thus safeguarding yourself against catastrophe. There's no reason to believe that what was left wasn't the same as what was lost.

The whole story stinks. I used to believe they were fucking with us because it coincided with the time during which they were doing Money Money. It seems more and more like they just scrapped the sessions entirely and went back to square one. Like what was said a few posts back, the cover was meant to further sensationalize the story and hype behind AI.

Yep. There's no way every trace of it could be deleted. The general theory is that they just felt the songs were weak and wanted to start again, which I have to agree with. The whole story is absolute nonsense, but that said they have kind of been a bit nudge-nudge-wink-wink about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shocked that anyone took them seriously and just kind of ran with it when people did.

billie also said that he thinks one of the engineers got high and deleted the taped

Yeah I'm pretty sure they said it was Trè in an interview then Trè looked really sheepish (guilty)

Yeah I'm pretty sure they said it was Trè in an interview then Trè looked really sheepish (guilty)

late night with Jimmy fallon

Can anyone explain how 'Dropout' was confirmed? I have barely even heard of that title, and I thought it was a Warning song, like Sleepyhead (right?) I want to say there was a setlist paper by tre in an interview that had those songs on it. and some people say Brutal Love is Dropout but, y'know.. lol. oh and what about Why Does It Rain On Me? that's a cover right? but it's far more likely to be on C&V than those other covers! and how could he leave off Minnesota Girl! :lol: I mean, I have no idea if Hearts Collide would actually be on it, but, I suppoooossseeeee it fits the speed. but that's a long shot. anyway, I just didn't know where some of these songs like Walk Away were confirmed?

Can anyone explain how 'Dropout' was confirmed? I have barely even heard of that title, and I thought it was a Warning song, like Sleepyhead (right?) I want to say there was a setlist paper by tre in an interview that had those songs on it. and some people say Brutal Love is Dropout but, y'know.. lol. oh and what about Why Does It Rain On Me? that's a cover right? but it's far more likely to be on C&V than those other covers! and how could he leave off Minnesota Girl! :lol: I mean, I have no idea if Hearts Collide would actually be on it, but, I suppoooossseeeee it fits the speed. but that's a long shot. anyway, I just didn't know where some of these songs like Walk Away were confirmed?

DJ Rossstar interviewed Billie I think at a AI tour show and he said 3 songs were Cigarettes & Valentines, Dropout, and Walk Away.

Now to my understanding, up until that point, the album didn't have a title, but based on that track list we just assumed the album was called Cigarettes & Valentines? It makes sense, they didn't have a tracklist or art or anything, they had only recorded a few rough songs.

Archived