My theory of the Cigarettes and Valentines soundtrack

GreenDay_Demolicious

After a few hours of research and increased interest in the "lost" album, I think I have compiled a decent track list of the album. Replies and your thoughts would be very appreciated. Next to most of the songs is where the track is from.

Cigarettes and Valentines Theory

Cigarettes and Valentines (Confirmed)
Dropout (Confirmed)
Walk Away (Likely Tre version/Confirmed)
I Fought the Law (Cover-The Clash-2004)
Too Much Too Soon (B Side)
Olivia (Live)
Carpe Diem/Nuclear Family (Uno)
Dream Catcher (Live)
Thing I've Heard Today (Audio Message)
Favorite Son/Governator(B Sides)
Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Both 21st Century Breakdown
Shoplifter (B Side)
Stop When the Red Lights Flash/See You Tonight (Tre)
Maria (International Superhits!)
Hybrid Moments (Cover-Misfits-2011)
Roshambo (Money Money 2020-The Network)
Life During Wartime(Pinhead Gunpowder)/Hearts Collide(B Side)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a few hours of research and increased interest in the "lost" album, I think I have compiled a decent track list of the album. Replies and your thoughts would be very appreciated. Next to most of the songs is where the track is from.

Cigarettes and Valentines Theory

Dropout (Confirmed)

Walk Away (Likely Tre version/Confirmed)

I Fought the Law (Cover-The Clash-2004)

Too Much Too Soon (B Side)

Olivia (Live)

Carpe Diem/Nuclear Family (Uno)

Dreamcatcher (Live)

Thing I've Heard Today (Audio Message)

Favorite Son/Governator(B Sides)

Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Both 21st Century Breakdown

Shoplifter (B Side)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash/See You Tonight (Tre)

Maria (International Superhits!)

Hybrid Moments (Cover-Misfits-2011)

Roshambo (Money Money 2020-The Network)

Life During Wartime(Pinhead Gunpowder)/Hearts Collide(B Side)

Pretty damn sure there's no way "American Eulogy" was in any form written back in 2003.

Why would they re-release Maria for the third time, and why would they release a Pinhead Gunpowder song? Out of all of them? Green Day has never covered PHGP, only Big Yellow Taxi originally by Joni Mitchell. And the rest of your list dude. I know you're new, but damn....

Olivia was unknown until 2010 when they played it live. If anything, it would've been a 21CB or Trilogy session song.

And Murder City was written Jan 8th, 2009 after the riots about the BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant

And how many times do I have to make it clear.... Dream Catcher, not Dreamcatcher. It's like "It's Fuck Time" all over again :cry:

What makes you think that these songs were on C&V?

Well the first three songs are already confirmed. I'm not very sure but Murder City and Too Much Too Soon sound kind of similar, and Too Much Too Soon was around during that time period. "I Fought The Law" could have been recorded for C&V. "Carpe Diem" and "Nuclear Family" kinda sound like they fit the fast, "punk" category that the band was intending. I'll post more about it later, I gotta get to bed soon anyway.

Why would they re-release Maria for the third time, and why would they release a Pinhead Gunpowder song? Out of all of them? Green Day has never covered PHGP, only Big Yellow Taxi originally by Joni Mitchell. And the rest of your list dude. I know you're new, but damn....

Olivia was unknown until 2010 when they played it live. If anything, it would've been a 21CB or Trilogy session song.

And Murder City was written Jan 8th, 2009 after the riots about the BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant

And how many times do I have to make it clear.... Dream Catcher, not Dreamcatcher. It's like "It's Fuck Time" all over again :cry:

Thanks for your feedback , i'll correct "Dream Catcher"

I'm not very sure but Murder City and Too Much Too Soon sound kind of similar , and Too Much Too Soon was around during that time period. "I Fought The Law" could have been recorded for C&V. "Carpe Diem" and "Nuclear Family" kinda sound like they fi t the fast, "punk" category that the band was intending. I'll post more about it later, I gotta get to bed soon anyway.

That kind of connecting the dots won't exactly hold up in a court of law. :P

I actually like "Fucktime" better as a title. :P Not that I'd ever actually use it.

Are we being trolled?

List de-bunked

Dropout (Confirmed)
Walk Away (Confirmed)
I Fought the Law - released before American Idiot - possible
Too Much Too Soon (Confirmed)
Olivia - Played live once in 2010, probably 21CB or Trilogy Outtake

Carpe Diem/Nuclear Family - Written in 2010/2011, earliest of trilogy songs. Most likely not on C&V
Dream Catcher - Soundchecked in 2010 alongside Oh Girl, when Green Day were working on trilogy songs. Probably 21CB or Trilogy outtake
Things I Heard Today - posted on Greenday.com in 2001 as phone message... possible
Favorite Son/Governator - released as AI B-sides, so maybe
Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Murder City was written January 2009 after shooting of Oscar Grant, Modern World was first song written for 21CB
Shoplifter - online only single released before American Idiot.. possible
Stop When the Red Lights Flash/See You Tonight - SWTRLF written in 2010 with early trilogy songs, SYT was done in Billie's home studio
Maria - this was released on the 2001 Waiting single and then re-recorded for Int SH, why would they release it again???
Hybrid Moments - Green Day didn't start playing this one until 2011, so I don't think so.
Roshambo It's possible, but Green Day had multiple projects going in 2003, along with a Christmas album, so this was probably recorded just for The Network.
Life During Wartime - This is a cover of another band that Green Day has never played live. Billie did it accoustic on KALX along with Beastly Bit, but He's in PHGP, so he can play their songs and represent them separately from green day, can't he? Just because he does something solo doesn't mean it's Green Day

Please use the search function to find other C&V threads and mods please pick your favorite to combine this with. Every time a new thread gets started people just argue about shit we already know.

Anyway, your list -

Cigarettes and Valentines (Confirmed) - Yes.
Dropout (Confirmed) - Yes, but we haven't heard it.
Walk Away (Likely Tre version/Confirmed) - Yes but we don't know for sure that it's the one on Tré.
Too Much Too Soon (B Side) - Yes! Even though you stated earlier that you just guessed at this, it was confirmed in a radio interview.
Thing I've Heard Today (Audio Message) - This one, Minnesota Girl, and What About Today have the most probability of any just because of when they were recorded, but there's no confirming it.
Favorite Son/Governator(B Sides) - Favorite Son was for that Rock Against Bush album, so no. Governator probs not
Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Both 21st Century Breakdown - Tman already illustrated that definitely not for Murder City. American Eulogy probs not.
Shoplifter (B Side) - This one goes along with the audio message ones. We don't know for sure, but it's possible.
Maria (International Superhits!) - That was on the waiting single first, so no.
Hybrid Moments (Cover-Misfits-2011) - What? Why even.
Roshambo (Money Money 2020-The Network) - There are theories that the whole of Money Money 2020 is just C&V, so maybe but probs not.
Life During Wartime(Pinhead Gunpowder)/Hearts Collide(B Side) - Goes along with the audio messages, but Billie Joe recorded this one specifically for some war-related event, so I don't see why it would be likely for C&V.

Ignored your others that were just wild guessing altogether. Those are all the ones with either certain confirmation or a specific reason why it's wrong.

[Edit:] Hey dickfarter you post-sniped me.

Please use the search function to find other C&V threads and mods please pick your favorite to combine this with. Every time a new thread gets started people just argue about shit we already know.

Anyway, your list -

Walk Away (Likely Tre version/Confirmed) - Yes but we don't know for sure that it's the one on Tré.

Too Much Too Soon (B Side) - Yes! Even though you stated earlier that you just guessed at this, it was confirmed in a radio interview.

Thing I've Heard Today (Audio Message) - This one, Minnesota Girl, and What About Today have the most probability of any just because of when they were recorded, but there's no confirming it.

Favorite Son/Governator(B Sides) - Favorite Son was for that Rock Against Bush album, so no. Governator probs not

Murder City/Modern World (American Eulogy)- Both 21st Century Breakdown - Tman already illustrated that definitely not for Murder City. American Eulogy probs not.

Shoplifter (B Side) - This one goes along with the audio message ones. We don't know for sure, but it's possible.

Roshambo (Money Money 2020-The Network) - There are theories that the whole of Money Money 2020 is just C&V, so maybe but probs not.

Life During Wartime(Pinhead Gunpowder)/Hearts Collide(B Side) - Goes along with the audio messages, but Billie Joe recorded this one specifically for some war-related event, so I don't see why it would be likely for C&V.

Ignored your others that were just wild guessing altogether. Those are all the ones with either certain confirmation or a specific reason why it's wrong.

Thanks man, the exact critique I needed. I try getting to researching this more soon, but as of now I am going to bed.

Anyway, your list -

[Edit:] Hey dickfarter you post-sniped me.

Would you say Favorite Son is about George Bush? I've been wondering that

Thanks man, the exact critique I needed. I try getting to researching this more soon, but as of now I am going to bed. There is definitely no way that very many if not any at all were from Money Money 2020.

Thanks man, the exact critique I needed. I try getting to researching this more soon, but as of now I am going to bed.

The best list we actually have is as follows:

Confirmed - Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon

Confirmed but not heard - Drop Out, Walk Away, and I think there was another?

Strong Possibility - Things I Heard Today, Minnesota Girl, What About Today

Weaker Possibility - Shoplifter

Also I think Horseshoes and Handgrenades was actually written circa 2003. I can't remember if they said it was written "For American Idiot" or "Around 2003" but that could be a possibility along with Shoplifter.

Yeah, definitely. First of all it was on that comp and second there was this whole thing about how he only got into politics and made it up there to make daddy proud.

The best list we actually have is as follows:

Confirmed - Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon

Confirmed but not heard - Drop Out, Walk Away, and I think there was another?

Strong Possibility - Things I Heard Today, Minnesota Girl, What About Today

Weaker Possibility - Shoplifter

Yeah, definitely. First of all it was on that comp and second of all there was this whole thing about how he only got into politics and made it up there to make daddy proud.

What do you think of Boys In the Bathroom Stall? I miss having Tre songs on albums :(

What do you think of Boys In the Bathroom Stall? I miss having Tre songs on albums :(

I have no idea. Unless it was another Dominated Love Slave esque track, I don't think it would have had any place on a serious album.

I always wonder what songs we've missed because nobody bothered to download any messages but Billie's.

I have no idea. Unless it was another Dominated Love Slave esque track, I don't think it would have had any place on a serious album.

I always wonder what songs we've missed because nobody bothered to download any messages but Billie's.

Yeah, There were Mike and Tre messages too. They announced news and stuff too, all kinds of details we're missing

It definitely is, but I always thought the "sex machine" and "panty raid" lines fit Clinton better. :P

Yeah, There were Mike and Tre messages too. They announced news and stuff too, all kinds of details we're missing

I don't even think we have all of Billie's. I'd have to check on Wayback Machine to see.

Other songs that could have been from the Sessions: Minnesota Girl, What About Today.

I like to think if Mike or Tre played new Green Day songs someone would've downloaded/kept them. Even if they don't care about them enough to keep their voice messages.

Yeah I don't remember any songs from those guys back then. That was right around the time I was just getting in to them, so I'm sure I wasn't thinking "oh I have to make sure to save these", but I don't remember any.

Archived