Uproxx ranks Green Day's albums from worst to best

dudley dawson

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna use this as an excuse to post my rankings of the albums (from worst to best).

9. The trilogy

8. 21st Century Breakdown

7. American Idiot

6. Kerplunk

5. Warning

4. Dookie

3. Nimrod

2. 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

1. Insomniac

Controversial list, I know, but this is just my way of saying the rankings on that thing you posted was a load of shit. The only thing I agree with is Insomniac being the best.

Absurd.

Warning, Dookie, and American Idiot in any order would have to round out the top three. The rest can go in any order, but those three are their absolute best albums in my opinion.

Not to add to the list-threadiness, but

11. Dos

10. Uno

9. 39/Smooth

8. Tre

7. Kerplunk

6. Dookie

5. 21st Century Breakdown

4. Insomniac

3. Warning

2. Nimrod.

1. American Idiot

Nimrod. and Warning tend to switch places; I prefer the production on the former as well as its variety, but some of my favorite songs are on the latter, its lyrics are fantastic, and I prefer BJ's vocals on it. Dos and Uno also tend to duel for the lowest spot; Dos is an utterly spectacular faceplant in most respects, but at least that's more interesting than Uno's complete sameness for track after track. Finally, 21CB and Insomniac tend to fluctuate; the former is the most ambitious and epic record they've done, and with the exceptions of KYE/LOTAG/Murder City has nary a misstep, but the latter is a completely cathartic blast and has the best bass playing Mike's ever done.

My order:

9. 21st Century Breakdown

8. American Idiot

7. Kerplunk

6. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

5. Uno, Dos, Tre

4. Nimrod

3. Insomniac

2. Warning

1. Dookie

Keep in mind, after 1 and 2, the rest of the list is very close. Best band ever!!!

Is this turning into a list thread? I feel like we've ranked the albums loads of times. Try and expand on your list and tell us why you think what you think, please. :)

Okay, I'll give reasons Tom. :)

9. The trilogy

8. 21st Century Breakdown

7. American Idiot

6. Kerplunk

5. Warning

4. Dookie

3. Nimrod

2. 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

1. Insomniac

9. I just think the whole trilogy is complete garbage. The lyrics are weak, the guitar sound is weak, I feel like 3 quarters of it is filler and the other quarter is just stuff I don't dig.

8. I was rather disappointed with this record when it came out. There's some good songs on it, but still those good songs aren't anything compared to their previous work.

7. Has some really good songs on it, but overall I don't like it as much as the ones ahead. I skip "Blvd. of Broken Dreams" everytime and a few other ones depending on what mood I'm in.

6. Overall a pretty good record. This one has some of my favorite songs by them.

5. Good album overall, but I really don't like "Misery".

4. I like this album overall, I usually listen to it all the way through. Each song is good, but there's other albums I like better.

3. I rather like the variety on this album. The lyrics are more mature on this one, it's rather a departure from their earlier work.

2. I know a lot of people don't like the production of this one, but I actually really like it (I'm a sucker for under-produced music :P ). Probably the record with the most songs I identify with.

1. I'm also a sucker for dark, angry and short music. The album is really intense, the production is pretty good. The guitar tone is sick, the bass is awesome, and the drums just kick ass!

Well most people's orders aren't going to be the same, it comes down to personal preference so no order is right or wrong. I don't agree with his but I think he backs up his opinions pretty well and fairly. And I like what he has to say about the ones he likes!

OK here we go:

11 - iUno! Hands down worst album they've ever done as half of the songs sound the same. There are some good songs (songs Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Let Yourself Go and Kill the DJ) but the bad outweighs them.

10 - iDos! Slightly better than iUno! though I can't really explain why. I like Lazy Bones, Lady Cobra and See You Tonight has its moments. That's about it.

9 - iTre! A billion miles better than the rest of the Trilogy, but still not as good as the rest of their albums. Brutal Love is the best from all 3 albums, which is probably enough to put Tre ahead of the other 2.

8 - 21st Century Breakdown Has some great songs, but a little too many misses - Song of the Century, Chrisitan's Inferno and Horseshoes and Handgrenades, as well as too many average songs to be any higher. Though I appreciate it as one of their most ambitious projects. I must admit, I am appreciating it more in the light of the Trilogy!

It's difficult to order the following albums properly, I like them all pretty much equally, but here's my best shot

7 - Insomniac The good outweighs the bad, but it's never been something I've been able to connect to. For me anyway.

6 - Warning Has one of my favouritest songs - Minority - and one of their funnest songs - Misery - but I'm not a huge fan of the acoustic/rootsy sound of it, but I appreciate them heading in a new direction

5 - 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk! Nothing to chose between these two really. Some good melodies and they showcase the band's talent. Very few misses - Rest and the last four off Kerplunk!, but two great albums - especially for an 'amateur' band.

3 - Nimrod A great album. I love the diversity of sounds - one of their most ambitious albums in that respect. A few misses (All the time, last ride in), but Walking Alone - Good Riddance is one of the best song runs on any Green Day album

And finally we have Dookie and American Idiot. They often change places at the top, but American Idiot wins over all. Though it's a close one. Very close.

well I kind of like this list, it seems honest and its always refreshing to see a ranking of albums that is not trying to please everyone.

Fucking garbage. AI below 39/Smooth? What the everloving hell?

i would have chosen AI as No1 and 39/Smooth as last :lol: ...not that 39/Smooth wasn't good, i just think the others were better and on AI i gotta say that it's been my first album and i just love the record...but i guess No1 always depends on in what era you became a fan ;D

This list baffles me. I respect the author's opinion, but I feel like he made that list just to be different and spark conversation. Insomniac is their worst album, in my opinion. I'll never understand the hate for 21st Century Breakdown. And ranking American Idiot that low is just dumb. And here I am discussing. Fuck. He won.

I'm gonna go with yes. American Idiot may be more focused and a far bigger deal overall, but I love the rawness of Insomniac. It's a fantastic anger album, which is exactly what I need these days. The lyrics are the best Billie has ever written, Mike's bass playing and backing vocals are on absolutely top form, and as an album it just comes in, kicks the shit out of your ears for not a second longer than it has to, and leaves. Absolute masterpiece.

Pretty much everything you said

the list is a total bullshit:

My list would be like

11. 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

10. Kerplunk

9. Dos

8. Insomniac

7. Nimrod

6. Warning

5. Trè

4. Uno

3. 21st Century Breakdown

2. Dookie

1. American Idiot

How could 1039 ever be on the bottom....get real

Some people on this site just get to me...UNO has loss of control, Nuclear Family, Oh Love, Rusty James, Let Yourself Go

DOS...SWTRLF, lazy bones, fuck time, baby eyes, makeout party, Wow! that's loud!, etc...

What happened to the old school fans who were happy enough to see GD make another album after AI? Some ungrateful bitches up in here

What happened to the old school fans who were happy enough to see GD make another album after AI? Some ungrateful bitches up in here

On the contrary, we're just bitches with a sense of taste. :P

How could 1039 ever be on the bottom....get real

Some people on this site just get to me...UNO has loss of control, Nuclear Family, Oh Love, Rusty James, Let Yourself Go

DOS...SWTRLF, lazy bones, fuck time, baby eyes, makeout party, Wow! that's loud!, etc...

People have different opinions. That's life.

I don't see how it's ungrateful of people to expect better from the band they love.

I don't see how it's ungrateful of people to expect better from the band they love.

The trilogy is an awesome piece of work. I believe I made a thread about this :) .

Archived