Uproxx ranks Green Day's albums from worst to best

dudley dawson

The trilogy is an awesome piece of work. I believe I made a thread about this :) .

And I believe you were soundly trounced in said thread. :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trilogy is an awesome piece of work. I believe I made a thread about this :) .

That's your opinion, and that's cool. I'm glad you like it. But I just don't agree that it makes people ungrateful if they don't like it.

That's your opinion, and that's cool. I'm glad you like it. But I just don't agree that it makes people ungrateful if they don't like it.

Yes. If you don't have devoted fans to critique work, you're left with the press and casual fans, who both give wildly uninformed opinions most of the time

Yeah I'm not saying that at all. I understand we all have wildly different tastes when it comes to the band's output. What matters is at the end of the day, we are all good fans who respect each other's opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

my worst to best because I want ti share my thoughts

9.kerplunk- this album has some good songs but the tone is just slower and has a different feel than the energetic smooth. but I thjnk my biggest problem us how the production sounds to me flat and has litttle life to it especially the drum sounds.I know because it was independent recording blah blah I dont care

8.dookie- has some good songs but also some forgettable ones. idk if its the mixing or what but this albums production bothers me as well.

7.american idiot

6.breakdown

5nimrod

4.insomniac

3.warning

2.slappy hrs- better production than kerplunk full if enrrgy

1. trilogy - nice clean sound but heavy at times. nice vical sound too.its everything green day has done throughout their career rolled up in a crap load of songs

• 2 weeks later...

It's one person's opinion so I'm not going to get all up in arms over their ranking. I do, however, disagree with some of it.

I agree that 21st Century Breakdown is their worst album. I'm glad The Trilogy doesn't get enough credit also. But I'm glad someone else agrees that American Idiot is one of their worst albums and that Dookie isn't their best.

Please note I do love all of their albums, not implying 21st Century Breakdown or American Idiot are bad, they're definitely very good. but they're just less good than the others.

Here's my ranking:

8. 21st Century Breakdown

7. American Idiot

6. Kerplunk

5. Dookie

4. Insomniac

3. Uno/Dos/Tre

1 & 2. Nimrod/Warning (Tie)

• 2 months later...

ok, just read this list... time to revive an old thread

10-1039 smoothed out sloppy hours. its here mainly cause i never listen to it

9- insomniac. same reason as the above

8- american idiot- i love it but i don't listen to it much, due to me only feeling capable to listen to the whole album, or else songs lose their meaning( i know... I'm strange)

7- 21st century breakdown. i know what you'll say."BULLSHIT. YOURE LIST IS FUCKIN WRONG" . but i spring for this mainly due to the b sides.

6- dookie- classic album. but i go for the next five more often

5- kerplunk- this album takes everything i love about dookie and amplifys it. i like it more without that ep stuck on the end.

4- demolicious- yes i counted this. takes all the trilogy songs i love (minus a few) and makes them heavier, what more must i want?

(THE NEXT 3 FLIPFLOP ALL THE TIME)

3- trilogy- i know what you'll say "BULLSHIT. YOURE LIST IS REALLY FUCKIN WRONG" but these are the first albums i waited for after becoming a fan. they hold special meaning to me also because they were the soundtrack to my summer.

2- nimrod, i like the diversity and the song topics. it offers many different styles while remaining "green day esc"

1- warning. don't crucify me, but i LOVE this album to death. it is my favorite set of songs and i find nothing wrong with any of them.

I don't agree with the list at all, basically. But what bothers me most is the constant disregard of 21CB. It's one of my, maybe even my top, favorite Green Day album. The writing is incredible. The music is experimental and beautiful. IDK. I loved everything about that album.

I don't agree with the list at all, basically. But what bothers me most is the constant disregard of 21CB. It's one of my, maybe even my top, favorite Green Day album. The writing is incredible. The music is experimental and beautiful. IDK. I loved everything about that album.

It's a great album, but I think that when the general public thinks about Green Day, 21CB isn't really the stereotypical Green Day sound.

WOWs!!!......... i really thought Triology was far better than 21CBD....... even better than Nimrod... Nevermind -_-

for me list goes like this..------

Demolicious

Dookie

Dos

Tre

American Idiot

Uno

Warning

Nimrod

21CBD

1039 smooth and slappy hours

WOWs!!!......... i really thought Triology was far better than 21CBD....... even better than Nimrod... Nevermind -_-

for me list goes like this..------

Demolicious

Dookie

Dos

Tre

American Idiot

Uno

Warning

Nimrod

21CBD

1039 smooth and slappy hours

I thought DOS was your favourite :(

What the fuck is going on here :o ??

Anyway...so let's make rankings then

1) American Idiot

2) Warning

3) 21st Century Breakdown

4) Dookie

5) Nimrod

6) Kerplunk

7) Insomniac

8) 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

9.) Tre

10) Uno

11) Dos

I thought DOS was your favourite :(

Yeh Dos is my favorite.......... but the best part about demolicious and dookie is that ...... they just relate to me in my personal life (Though i'm just 15 but Some songs on dookie and demolicious just describe how my life is going on!!) :(

What the fuck is going on here :o ??

Anyway...so let's make rankings then

1) American Idiot

2) Warning

3) 21st Century Breakdown

4) Dookie

5) Nimrod

6) Kerplunk

7) Insomniac

8) 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

9.) Tre

10) Uno

11) Dos

I agree, just change the 21st century for the second and third warning would go. The rest is what I think! xx :)

1. Nimrod

2. Insomniac

3. Dookie

4. Warning

5. American Idiot

6. Kerplunk

7. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

8. 21st Century Breakdown

9. Tre

10. Uno

11. Dos

Weird list

1. American Idiot

2. 21st Century Breakdown

3. Warning

4. Dookie

5. Nimrod

6. Insomniac

7. Trilogy

11. ¡Uno! - ¡Uno! isn't bad, but as an album I find it very boring. I like most of the songs on there, but I can't listen to the whole album without skipping at least one song. I almost always lose interest during either Let Yourself Go or Kill the DJ and just skip to Loss of Control/Troublemaker (which is rather underrated, IMO). Of the three trilogy albums, ¡Uno! seems to have the most filler.

10. 39/Smooth - I can't think of an explanation for 39/Smooth's placing; I can't place it any higher, but I like it more than ¡Uno!.

9. Warning - Warning's case is similar to ¡Uno!'s: it's not bad, but I just can't get into it. I hate putting Warning this low on the list, but I can't bring myself to place it any higher.

8. Kerplunk - Not bad, just kind of weak.

7. ¡Tré! - It's good, but seems a little all over the place, which brings it down some.

6. Dookie - While it's one of Green Day's best-known albums (next to American Idiot), it's never really been one of my favorites.

5. ¡Dos! - ¡Dos! is without a doubt my favorite of the trilogy albums. It sticks the most of the three to its "theme," and flows well, for the most part. While it probably objectively shouldn't be this high, I just kind of have this soft spot for it.

4. Nimrod - Nimrod was at one point my favorite album, but I listened to the three above it, and it dropped a few spots. It was their first time really experimenting with different kinds of music. It could stand to be a few songs shorter, though.

3. 21st Century Breakdown - I don't think I will ever understand why some people hate this album. It features some of the best music and lyrics in the band's catalog. I will say I almost never listen to the album without skipping a song or two, but it's a fantastic album. Like Nimrod, though, it seems to drag on and could stand to have a few songs omitted.

2. Insomniac - Insomniac gives Warning a run for its money for Green Day's most underrated album. It doesn't drag on, nor does it feel too short. There isn't one expendable song on the whole album.

1. American Idiot - The album that got me into Green Day. It's perfect; not even She's a Rebel or St. Jimmy could be left off the album. Every song is either vital to the story or fits in with the others. 10/10.

BEST

l Dookie - As close to perfect as an album can be. So many of my GD faves are on this.

l American Idiot - Rock operas! The signal of GDs revival from early 2000s relative obscurity.

l Insomniac - The hardest punk on offer from GD which I love. Great lyrics and some really short but sharp tracks.

l Nimrod - Has to be up here just for Hitchin a ride! Otherwise, not a great album.

l Kerplunk - The signs of greatness are there, just not blossoming quite yet.

l Warning - A bit dull and samey for me.

l 21st CB - There are some good tracks on 21st CB, but it's too far away from the punky GD I love, and sorta feels like a B side to AI.

l 1039/Smooth - Too young and raw, lacks any stand out tracks for me.

l The Trilogy - 3 or 4 good tracks, but so many boring, too many poppy, and downright bad songs.

WORST

Can I just say to Doctor the Pepper putting iDos! above Dookie... :huh:

10. 1039 - never listen to it

9. Kerplunk - I have a few songs on my playlist but never listen to it straight through

8. Uno - a few songs that I do love - but it is my least fav of the trilogy

7. Dos - I do really enjoy DOS & play it regularly

6. Tre - has some standout songs for me & fav of the trilogy

5. Warning - love this album - actually can't say anything bad about it - great songs

4. Insomniac - only putting it before Nimrod because I have to be in a certain mood y'know to play Insomniac

3. Nimrod - 22 great songs - I can't understand in Cuatro how billie gives it a little bag about writing the lyrics in the studio

2. AI - well its just a friggin masterpiece & I listen to it still at an unhealthy level

1. Dookie - 1st CD I ever purchased - was the CD of my youth - thought I was so badass for being into Green Day. Still current today.

Woops left out 21CB would but that before AI as it is the first concert I managed to see them live & dont' know why it gets a banging.

• 3 months later...

11. 39/Smooth - There are some cool songs, but overall it is not as exciting as the other GD albums.

10. Kerplunk - Also, a lot of cool songs, but as an complete album? Not that great in my opinion.

9. Uno - Nuclear Family, Kill The DJ, Rusty James, Let Yourself Go.. all great songs but there are to many fillers on this record.

8. Dos - Some cool stuff, but also their worst song: Nightlife (cool bassline though).

7. Tre - I love X-Kid and Dirty Rotten Bastards and there is no bad song but it isn't as good as other GD albums.

6. Insomniac - Great punkrock-record and some of their best songs like Brain Stew/Jaded, Geek Stink Breath, Panic Song and 86, but not varied enough.

5. Warning - Their most underrated album, every song is memorable and emotional.

4. Dookie - So many Green Day classics here, but the last songs of the album make it a bit boring.

3. Nimrod - The first GD record that was very varied and a lot of standout tracks.

2. 21st Century Breakdown - A real masterpiece for me, every songs works as well alone as in the context of the whole album. Can listen to it a 1000 times from the beginning straight trough the end.

1. American Idiot - I have no words for this... one of the best things that ever happened to music. It is not as varied as 21CB, but a bit more emotional and it has a more raw sound than 21CB.

Archived