Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Also, this is probably shocking but I really like Oh Love. Crucify me.

BROTHER :woot:

I don't love it, but it's certainly better than most of the Trilogy.

• Like 3

Obviously not every song has one meaning for everyone, but songs that can't be at least mostly explained by at least one or a few different meanings are just rubbish lyrics

Bob Dylan says hi. But otherwise I agree with you :P

This is probably heresy of the most blasphemous degree and the ghost of Keith Moon may come an' haunt me and destroy my furniture and what not, but it reminds me of the Who which is always a good thing. And there's more to it than the fact that "Love rain on me" sounds almost the same as "Love reign o'er me"

Bob Dylan says hi. But otherwise I agree with you :P

This is probably heresy of the most blasphemous degree and the ghost of Keith Moon may come an' haunt me and destroy my furniture and what not, but it reminds me of the Who which is always a good thing. And there's more to it than the fact that "Love rain on me" sounds almost the same as "Love reign o'er me"

Lots of people have made a lot of that, but I don't really hear it. What similarities do you notice?

Yeah Oh Love is a good song. Loses some points because it is, at times, an un-engaging mid tempo song, but if you can get past that, there are some great parts that really show a classic rock/AOR side that I'd be interested to hear more of.

• Like 1

Lots of people have made a lot of that, but I don't really hear it. What similarities do you notice?

Something about the feeling of the song, I don't think I can explain it rationally. It may be that the connotation is caused by the "won't you rain on me tonight" line as it instantly reminds me of the Who. But the song has got this stadion-rock feeling. Dunno, it's been ages since I've listened to the 'O or Green Day so it's kind of hard to tell :lol:

I'd say it's in the upper tier, but only when compared to the crap it's mired in. I just find it incredibly boring and by the numbers. If it had been on Nimrod or Warning I believe we'd all consider it one of their weakest songs.

It would be a top 3 song on Nimrod because that album is total shit :)

Bang Bang

I also don't think Nimrod is that special (as previously stated here). Good but not as good as Green Day's other stuff. Only song that cracks the top 20 best GD songs for me is Good Riddance.

There is Hitchin' A Ride on Nimrod, so nope

• Like 1

There is Hitchin' A Ride on Nimrod, so nope

Decent song, not even closerto being one of my favs though. Grouch, King for a Day, and Good Riddance top the album for me.

How's that?

We have had this discussion already. I skip half the album. It's the album that I skip the most songs on...followed by Kerplunk and 1039. The songs just don't appeal to me. They never get stuck in my head, I don't think the lyrics are that relatable. It's just always been my least fav album of theirs.

Decent song, not even closerto being one of my favs though. Grouch, King for a Day, and Good Riddance top the album for me.

Don't really mind about these (I mean, I love them but not as the rest of the album)... except maybe King For A Day :P What's special about Nimrod is the fact that's the first album where the band actually tries out new things and different sounds, so yeah, it lacks consistency and might sound a bit like a medley, but I love every song on its own and I'll never get bored of this record.

Edited by mrduckygoosy
  • Like 1

Everyone bangs on about how good the Wild One solo is - is it even that great?

Anything is great, compared to the rest of the song. :lol:

Enough about the Trilogy... when are they coming out with a new album?- oh wait... that opinion might be popular!

oh wait... that wouldn't be an opinion!

• Like 2

QUICK! CATCH!

*throws flame shield to*

• Like 1

Total shit? Come on, that's too harsh ;P

• Like 3

Nimrod is excellent, and I've never really seen why people say it lacks consistency.

• Like 1

Nimrod is excellent, and I've never reallyly seen why people say it lacks consistency.

Nimrod's consistency is its inconsistency. Now, seriously, it feels more inconsistent and stylistically erratic than it is because most of the more experimental (for Green Day) songs are placed near the end; whereas the first half is more homogeneous.

• Like 2

Nimrod's consistency is its inconsistency. Now, seriously, it feels more inconsistent and stylistically erratic than it is because most of the more experimental (for Green Day) songs are placed near the end; whereas the first half is more homogeneous.

I've never really seen the songs as stylistically erratic though - besides Good Riddance, King For A Day, Last Ride In and possibly Walking Alone, they're all pretty much standard Green Day.

Nimrod's consistency is that it's brilliant all the way through.

Except maybe Last Ride In.

Nimrod is a brilliant example of Green Day experimenting with their sound successfully

Again...that's an opinion. The Trilogy is my fav thing that Green Day has done and Nimrod is a distant last. So yeah...matter of opinion and all that jazz.

Again...that's an opinion. The Trilogy is my fav thing that Green Day has done and Nimrod is a distant last. So yeah...matter of opinion and all that jazz.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion. And I am entitled to my correct one.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion. And I am entitled to my correct one.

That would not work if we got married. Actually, as long I get control of the TV I really don't care about anything else. Also, read your damn PMs :P

• lizziebix featured this topic