Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I think it's just the highest falsetto he's done? I can't think of a time he's sung higher, and 21st CB was the first time he'd really tried to do falsetto aside from maybe on some Foxboro songs so it must've been a challenge. If I recall right he mostly attempted it near the beginning of the tour/when they first started playing it live and tended to do it less later, I guess it's just difficult (although I love him doing it perfect or not :P). Even though it was quite late in the setlist I don't think that would've affected his ability much since as Ceadog mentions he's skipped it even when it's the only song he's singing, and also since he's able to do stuff like hanging on a strong "hey oh" for 30 seconds near the end of shows too, and I've just never really noticed his voice get much weaker as shows go on in general.

• Like 2

Interesting. I've heard him hit falsetto's live. Why not on 21 Guns. I'm not a singer but I wonder if it is just a hard song to sing.

It's a lot to do live, he proves he can do it at the end of the AAF version. But the live version is less soft, has more of a hard edge with the amped up guitars. So that great full-voice note he keeps hitting fits with the live version better, imo

• Like 1

The problem with it is is that it drowns out the guitar. Drowning out Jason White is never good. Perhaps they ought to do one after the other when they do it live. More Jasons can only be good :happy:

How is Jason W. at all special enough that we miss anything by his being drowned out?

How is Jason W. at all special enough that we miss anything by his being drowned out?

My jimmies have been properly rustled by this post.

• Like 3

Graham is right though, Jason does nothing special. People on here just "love" him because its ironic :P

Postmodern life is rubbish. Why can't we like him without irony?

• Like 1

My jimmies have been properly rustled by this post.

:dry:

I'd be more than happy to have you tell me why I'm wrong and why he isn't as completely average as Billie! :P

• Like 1

I'd be more than happy to have you tell me why I'm wrong and why he isn't as completely average as Billie! :P

Jason's a better guitar player than you. Bye.

I had my iTunes on shuffle in the car earlier and "Are We The Waiting" merged into "Haushinka" and well, it was amazing and now I want them to do that in concert.

Oh my god that sounds perfect.

I never said he wasn't. :P

ily :wub:

Seriously, go listen to it! The pitch on Haushinka would need to be changed a bit for it to really flow seamlessly but it would be epic.

I'm going to try to find a way to make this flow better.

I just like his cool, understated nature. He seems to be happy to stay in the background a little and let everyone else fuss. I guess I like that cos I'm a bit like that. But I think White deserves a bit more of the limelight, which is why he shouldn't be drowned out.

None of that had anything to do with his actual guitar playing

He's a great guitar player, singer and songwriter and his personality and understated performance style on stage is badass, and I'm a fan of his contributions to several excellent bands. Some people here might say they "love" him ironically now but that's just a silly new fad, some of us really love him :P

Postmodern life is rubbish. Why can't we like him without irony?

WHY CANT I JUST COME IN THE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS THREAD AND STATE MY OPINIONS WITHOUT BEING HARASSED. ITS JUST MY OPINION FFS YOU CAN'T ARGUE IT.

/every new person that joins this thread with a shitty opinion

• Like 1

He's a solid backup singer. He's a solid guitarist. And he hasn't written much of anything for Green Day, has he? His side projects don't really matter here because this is about his contributions to Green Day.

And I know that a lot of people actually do love him, I was half-kidding :P

Well that's true but I outlined why I enjoy him onstage with Green Day too. He isn't only a solid backup singer outside Green Day though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neN8Mch1Frc

Jason White has dead eyes. I know because he bored them into me for 2 hours at a concert. It was disturbing.

Omg trying to catch his eye is one of my favourite things to do at a Green Day show. If you wave at him you can get a bashful little nod of acknowledgement, it's totally great :lol:. And the rest of the time you can see him quietly enjoying playing guitar and exchanging glances/having fun with the rest of the band, doesn't seem dead eyed to me.

Based on the evidence the next thing Green day should do is that they should let Jason write songs, Mike sing and they should fire Billie. I'm only 50% ironic.

• Like 1

None of that had anything to do with his actual guitar playing.

I never said it did :P

Also, the are we the waiting/haushinka thing is pretty good, that transition needs to be cleaned up though.

Actually, I do think that the jinx/haushinka transition is probably the best one. It's so smooth, you don't immediately realise you've gone to a new song, when you hear it for the first time.

• Like 1

Jason White was the first member of Green Day I ever saw in-person, when he was crouching off stage during the opening band. I don't know how I feel about this, because I was ecstatic at the time, but... it's... Jason, y'know? :lol:

• lizziebix featured this topic