Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I had to go back and listen to it again... and I still don't know what's wrong with it! I like the contrast between the calm "where the hell is the old gang at" line in the first verse and the shouting tone of that line in the second verse. That being said, it does come off as him trying to be a bit of a hard ass and failing. I'm sure if you took the music out and it was acappella, it'd be laughable.

I never realized Demolicious kept them both calm though. Interesting. I wonder why they changed it?

Well it sounds like he's trying to shout but holding back massively so it loses any sense of vitriol, and it's off key. Plus like you say, the hard ass aspect is hilarious.

They changed it because they hadn't quite regressed enough musically when it came to recording the demo.

Well it sounds like he's trying to shout but holding back massively so it loses any sense of vitriol, and it's off key. Plus like you say, the hard ass aspect is hilarious.

They changed it because they hadn't quite regressed enough musically when it came to recording the demo.

Demolicious is great! Don't tell me you don't like it.

Not sure where I said I don't like it at all :P

I guess you just came off as a little extra-snarky today. :P

I guess you just came off as a little extra-snarky today. :P

That was actually implying that Demolicious is better than the Trilogy so nuh! Investigative journalist... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That was actually implying that Demolicious is better than the Trilogy so nuh! Investigative journalist... :rolleyes:

That joke never gets old, does it? And a pile of shit is generally better than the trilogy, so sorry if I was a bit slow in comprehending your implications. ;)

• Like 1

That joke never gets old, does it? And a pile of shit is generally better than the trilogy, so sorry if I was a bit slow in comprehending your implications. ;)

I bet Mar would have worked it out quicker :ninja::P

I bet Mar would have worked it out quicker :ninja::P

Don't piss off a woman Tom it won't end up nice for you

You can't win against a woman

• Like 1

So would it unpopular to say that Kerplunk! and Nimrod are far superior to Dookie, or would that get me in trouble with this most upstanding community?

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of Warning (song or album).

I'd rather this thread have died than read this.

• Like 3

So would it unpopular to say that Kerplunk! and Nimrod are far superior to Dookie, or would that get me in trouble with this most upstanding community?

What are your reasons?

What are your reasons?

My reasons are that those two albums are better as a whole than Dookie is. Don't get me wrong I think that Dookie is a great album, but its tracks are very weak when you take away the singles. I think when you look at the albums as a whole the songs on Kerplunk and Nimrod's tracks are just plain better. Also I really like the raw sound that Kerplunk brings to the table and Nimrod has a vast veritey of songs that makes me want to go back and listen to it as a whole. Where as the songs on Dookie have gotten somewhat stale for my taste. I would even go as far to say that Kerplunk! and Nimrod are near perfect records, if you take away the last four songs off of Kerplunk.

• Like 2

My reasons are that those two albums are better as a whole than Dookie is. Don't get me wrong I think that Dookie is a great album, but its tracks are very weak when you take away the singles. I think when you look at the albums as a whole the songs on Kerplunk and Nimrod's tracks are just plain better. Also I really like the raw sound that Kerplunk brings to the table and Nimrod has a vast veritey of songs that makes me want to go back and listen to it as a whole. Where as the songs on Dookie have gotten somewhat stale for my taste. I would even go as far to say that Kerplunk! and Nimrod are near perfect records, if you take away the last four songs off of Kerplunk.

I disagree on Nimrod because as an album, Dookie works a lot better. More fluid, and some serious lyricism tossed in with a great melody on nearly every song.

Also, Dookie has that bassssssss

Rusty James is certainly one of my favorites of the whole trilogy, especially since I love Rumble Fish and all her books. I wonder if the lyrics were different or anything when the song was still "Soda Pop Curtis". I think the similarities of Rusty James and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is weird since they're both based on books and stuff

Don't piss off a woman Tom it won't end up nice for you

You can't win against a woman

+1 for WhiteTim :)

I wish Billie would go up at the end of each "doesn't even pound" in the Rusty James chorus rather than down; it sounds flat as is.

That would take away the impact of when he does go up the last time he sings it.

"Where the fuck is your old gang, man." Makes me cringe every time and ruins an otherwise great song.

I think he's taking the piss! Putting on a snotty voice in imitation of how people (sometimes including himself) whinge about the old scene being gone. He makes legitimate complaints about the loss of it in the song but I like to think he's also acknowledging that hanging on to it and resisting change too much can be a negative/lame thing.
  • Like 4

I think he's taking the piss! Putting on a snotty voice in imitation of how people (sometimes including himself) whinge about the old scene being gone. He makes legitimate complaints about the loss of it in the song but I like to think he's also acknowledging that hanging on to it and resisting change too much can be a negative/lame thing.

I have a theory. Though in his conscious mind he thinks he is being sarcastic with that line, in his subconscious mind he would like to resist the change that was for worse, and if given the choise, he would like to go back in time to the time when he was able to actually write lyrics.

So, he tries to show he's being sarcastic, but his heart is honest with its longing and so he is acting when he is trying to be sarcastic, and we all know how he acts .... ;)

:P

Yeah, I've always thought of it that way as well. It's one of the more self-aware Trilogy songs in general IMO.

• Like 1

I would love it if Green Day's next album (if there is one) is a final return to proper punk rock. They showed that they can sort of replicate the sound of their best days (early-mid 90s) with Demolicious. It would sort of bring them full circle and complete the journey :)

I understand that this is probably unpopular, what with the majority on here being fans of Green Day's 21st century stuff ;)

I wonder if the lyrics were different or anything when the song was still "Soda Pop Curtis".

There's a recording of it from the first secret show they played and it all sounds the same, it was called Last Gang In Town then and didn't become Soda Pop Curtis until a later show if I remember correctly

That raw, punk sound probably ruins 1,039 SOSH for me. I tried listening to some of it some time ago (after a lot of time, maybe year or more tbh) and my ears were aching.

• Like 2

I'd rather this thread have died than read this.

One of these days, son, you're gonna have to realise that there are people out there who are gonna say upsetting things like that. It's the way of the world.

• lizziebix featured this topic