Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

"I've got a really bad disease" has got to be one of the worst lyrics to open a song ever. I can't get passed that in RLS

I always mentally replace it with "crippling disease". Maybe not brilliant but it's at least better imo

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a disgraceful song, and Nightlife is brilliant. There. Now I can follow this thread again. :D

Dirty Rotten Bastards is amazing. Nightlife is pretty amazing. The Trilogy was just amazing.

"I've got a really bad disease" has got to be one of the worst lyrics to open a song ever. I can't get passed that in RLS

Have you heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers? They start off one of my favorite songs with "I've got a bad disease." It's so simple and beautiful, instantly sets the mood of the song.

• Like 1

Neutral opinion: I can't see much different between this thread and the old thread, but it's nice to have a fresh start to refresh the conversation.

I think that's great, it alludes to the fact that drug addiction and mental illness aren't viewed as diseases the way physical illnesses are. If someone with a physical illness said it it'd be accepted, but coming from someone talking about drug addiction and mental illness it sounds like a silly exaggeration. Immature, self indulgent whining about a "really bad disease". Even though that isn't true it's how society often treats that kind of illness, and how it can feel to be suffering from it. The childishness of the phrase is what gets across that feeling of patheticness/helplessness.
  • Like 3

I like the Trilogy! And I have no idea why people complain about it.

When the secret shows were happening and we were hearing these songs for the 1st time everyone loved it and loved the songs, suddenly the albums come out and half the people change there minds and hate it all of a sudden, 1 year later everyone hates it. And you know why....

Everyone has a short attention span these days, shiny new things are all people seem to want, then when its not new any more everybody hates it and keeps shouting about what they want next. Enjoy the now a little more!

No

It's the fact that the songs sound so much better with live guitars and mike/billie harmonies. And upped tempo. Completely changes the dynamic of the songs.

• Like 2

Brutal Love.

Brutal Love wouldn't have succeeded on mainstream radio. The best part of the song is 3 minutes in. Alt/Rock radio might play it but it would not achieve much success

• Like 1

I've somewhat grown to dislike the vocals on AI. Not sure exactly how they were tweaked but I definitely know I prefer the rawness of, say, 1,039 and Kerplunk.

I've somewhat grown to dislike the vocals on AI. Not sure exactly how they were tweaked but I definitely know I prefer the rawness of, say, 1,039 and Kerplunk.

Really? I love the raw and clean tones of AI. It's so fresh after Nimrod and Warning.

• Like 1

I think Billie's vocals have been lacking in the last few years (since leaving Broadway) and I'm not sure why and it makes me sad.

I don't consider DRB to be in the same echelon as a JoS, Homecoming, 21st Century Breakdown or American Eulogy. To me, it's simply a medley (not a suite) that I can enjoy without regret.

I kind of agree. DRB is definitely up there as one of my favorite songs, and I think we all want it to be as epic as the songs you just listed, because it is long and ambitious with awesome solos, lyrics, etc, but it almost feels like they tried too hard to piece vignettes together and it doesn't have quite that natural instinctive flow that the others have.

Still amazing song though.

I honestly love everything about American Idiot. :) I just think it's perfect. One of those albums you understand more and more with time and experience. Can't believe how Billie's voice has changed so much, though. At least his diction is a lot better as he's got older. :P

This! There's seriously nothing about American Idiot I don't like... :wub:

I honestly love everything about American Idiot. :) I just think it's perfect. One of those albums you understand more and more with time and experience. Can't believe how Billie's voice has changed so much, though. At least his diction is a lot better as he's got older. :P

I used to think exactly the same, but in the four year run I started finding more and more details to pick at in AI (going from 'this is an impeccable album' 4 years ago to 'uh?' now).

As a guitar player, the chorus on She's a Rebel annoys me. I've never been able to time the chord changes properly. I used to be the same with Extraordinary Girl, until I bothered to sit down with the guitar tab book and learn it recently.

I think Billie's vocals have been lacking in the last few years (since leaving Broadway) and I'm not sure why and it makes me sad.

The answer to why is right there. He left Broadway, and when he did I'm sure a lot of the vocal training that came with it went by the way side.

The answer to why is right there. He left Broadway, and when he did I'm sure a lot of the vocal training that came with it went by the way side.

Sure, but I also think his vocals were stronger on the AI and 21CB (pre-Broadway) tours. Broadway helped his voice, but he was already getting stronger in the time leading up to it. It's almost as if he stopped caring. It kind of feels like he's not giving it his all in his singing at least. I know he's about "delivering a message" and not trying to be a flashy frilly singer (nor could he be) but I feel like he tried to hold and sustain good notes more in the past and now he's just kinda choppy about it.

Then again, they don't sing 21 Guns anymore so many there are just fewer dramatic moments.

• Like 1

Sure, but I also think his vocals were stronger on the AI and 21CB (pre-Broadway) tours. Broadway helped his voice, but he was already getting stronger in the time leading up to it. It's almost as if he stopped caring. It kind of feels like he's not giving it his all in his singing at least. I know he's about "delivering a message" and not trying to be a flashy frilly singer (nor could he be) but I feel like he tried to hold and sustain good notes more in the past and now he's just kinda choppy about it.

Then again, they don't sing 21 Guns anymore so many there are just fewer dramatic moments.

for what it is worth, the videos from echoplex pre-rehab sounded damn good. And he seemed to improve gradually as the 99 Rev tour went on. Plus you can't forget Foreverly which was masterful vocally

• Like 1

for what it is worth, the videos from echoplex pre-rehab sounded damn good. And he seemed to improve gradually as the 99 Rev tour went on. Plus you can't forget Foreverly which was masterful vocally

But to be fair, Foreverly was in a studio atmosphere

As a guitar player, the chorus on She's a Rebel annoys me. I've never been able to time the chord changes properly. I used to be the same with Extraordinary Girl, until I bothered to sit down with the guitar tab book and learn it recently.

Learn to play better then ;)

My favourite album vocally is American Idiot. Aside from his actual voice, the delivery on a lot of it is amazing. I've never heard Billie sound more like he means it, especially on the title track, JOS and Holiday. The vocal filters sound epic, too.

• Like 3

Learn to play better then ;)

My favourite album vocally is American Idiot. Aside from his actual voice, the delivery on a lot of it is amazing. I've never heard Billie sound more like he means it, especially on the title track, JOS and Holiday. The vocal filters sound epic, too.

I still go back and forth between that one and Warning. It does sound a bit more natural on Warning due to the lack of filters, but I can see what some people mean when they say he occasionally sounds bored on that album.

But to be fair, Foreverly was in a studio atmosphere

Yes, otherwise I would have praised him ten-fold. Norah Jones did say how surprised she was that he could sing like that, though.

My favorite album from a pure vocal stand point is 21CB. Last Night on Earth is enough on its own. Then consider 21 Guns, Before The Lobotomy, and Restless Heart Syndrome (among others). Warning is probably second b/c of a few things I've noted in the past thread. AI probably third

• Like 2

Yeah agreeing with ai being Billie's best vocals. It sounds perfect, he doesn't sound as whiny/nasally, his voice def got better between warning and ai. 21cb was great too but I dislike his trilogy voice except on a few songs tbh.

They've been at their best since Broadway.

• Like 1

I honestly think that the trilogy had an hours worth of songs that are every bit as good, commercial, and grammy worthy as 21CB. It was basically a really good pop rock album nothing special and it had some crap songs but stuff like "Brutal Love", "Amy", and "Stray Heart" are really cool vintage sounding songs

• Like 3

I honestly think that the trilogy had an hours worth of songs that are every bit as good, commercial, and grammy worthy as 21CB. It was basically a really good pop rock album nothing special and it had some crap songs but stuff like "Brutal Love", "Amy", and "Stray Heart" are really cool vintage sounding songs

Thank you! Yes!

• Like 2

• lizziebix featured this topic