Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

On 8/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, The Bellie said:

It's perfectly readable! ;) Even though I've never made this statement for myself that Green Day never changed their way of making music, and that I don't know if I would be able to make a full, proper definition of how they do it, the way I feel it, I agree. I'll ad this, what they do at each time is in the continuum of their previous work. Although I wouldn't say they have been reinventing themselves, I see a constant evolution in their music, in a good way. I love the early albums, but to me it doesn't sound the same as the newer ones at all, despite the similar chords progression. To me the latest albums are definitely more achieved. Even without ranking them, all I can say is, when listening to Dookie I have hard time imagining it's the same guy who 20 years later writes songs like Still Breathing and Forever Now. That isn't said in detriment to Dookie at all, and precisely I think it's great that I have sometimes hard time figuring it's the same band who wrote all this abundant, various stuff. And the change I feel is not only for Billie's voice change. I guess that just rejoins what you were saying, what more to ask if the guys are capable of doing so many different songs, and albums which still all have their own vibe although made using the same chords, throughout 30 years? For what reason would they need to do it differently? I don't know Fall Out Boy well so I can't tell about their sound change, but I make that guess, not every songwriter has the profusion of inspiration that Billie has. He just proves that sticking to the same simple technique is not an obstacle to come up with melodies and make new songs out of it, as long as you have the knack to do so and the necessary inspiration. I'm not aiming at any other band, but I just don't believe every songwriter could be as gifted as Billie, not needing to improve the composing technique to, still, keep sounding better with time.

Thank you! Yes, that's what I meant. They evolved for sure but (THANK GOD) without never losing their sound. I like the verb you used, ''continuation''. If you listen to every Green Day record, you can like it or dislike it, but they're all part of the same thing, that ''thing'' we love so much, I guess. To be honest, one of the reasons I can't appreciate the trilogy, apart from the sound, is 'cause it doesn't sound like Green Day, to me. Revolution Radio, with all of its repetitions, it's totally Green Day, despite the fact Trè or Dos could have had more ''variety''. Quoting @greendepent, I've listened to Uno days ago and I have to say that maybe we misunderstood the back-to-basic meaning. One thing is back to Kerplunk!, another thing is back to basics. I've also heard a 2012's interview by Billie Joe, days ago. He said himself that trilogy was a sort of ''back to basic stripped rock and roll''. Something far, in that sense, from their 90s non-political punk (in love with pop) rock. And yes, Billie Joe is truly gifted. Nothing and no one is perfect, to me. So Green Day music lost a little bit of freshness in the last 15 years. But that's human. They wrote a marvelous and immense album like American Idiot after a series of wonderful records. It's human. I blame myself too, like I did back then and like I said in my post. Sometimes simple is better. And simple is not poor. Sometimes is even richer. To this day, I got nothin to ask to the boys. And I never asked for anything. I'm greatful I've had their records to listen to years back. I only hope they'll be ok and just enjoy whatever they do. I'll be there to listen, as usual. To applaude or dislike, but always from the heart.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, basketcase4933 said:

I like "Little Boy Named Train" and "Troublemaker"!

Little Boy Named Train should never have been released - it sucks so bad.  I like Troublemaker though.  

I haven't listened to the trilogy in ages except for having Brutal Love on loop a few weeks back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think Little Boy Named Train is that bad. I find it pretty forgettable, but I don't hate it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I don't think Little Boy Named Train is that bad. I find it pretty forgettable, but I don't hate it.

I think that's what most people's problem is with it. I enjoy it but yeah, it's not a standout track

• Like 1

Seriously - I have spent a lot of hours in this thread defending the trilogy but c'mon LBNT is one of the standout tracks that suck big ones.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SHART said:

Seriously - I have spent a lot of hours in this thread defending the trilogy but c'mon LBNT is one of the standout tracks that suck big ones.

The song is good 😒

• Haha 1

I enjoy Little Boy Named Train a lot, it's not necessarily a standout track for me but it's always fun to listen to, and I love the lyrics.

Unpopular opinion: Billie's voice on the American idiot record is among my least favorite (strictly speaking album version, not his voice during this period in general), along with the 2 earliest records, although it's completely different. It has nothing to do with the songs themselves, every song off these albums is enjoyable for me but I precisely end up listening a lot to live versions of them and not listening to the albums so much (especially AI since for most of the songs we have so many live versions). When singing some AI songs live I must say I find Billie's voice particularly sexy (such as the title song and Jesus of Suburbia notably). On the other hand I really like Billie's voice on Nimrod, the change compared to the previous albums, and the new turn it takes with Foxboro Hot Tubs compared to AI. The best studio voice of Billie's for me is on the trilogy, and also now Love is For Losers. I still listen to it often.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Troublemaker from a music standpoint, its catchy and sounds good, but the lyrics are some of the worse ones billie's written so its a "Ignore the lyrics and its great" type of deal xP

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jirachi said:

I like Troublemaker from a music standpoint, its catchy and sounds good, but the lyrics are some of the worse ones billie's written so its a "Ignore the lyrics and its great" type of deal xP

But you have to admit “I wouldn’t say I’m straight cuz I’m bent out of shape” and “from now til death do we party” are both pretty cute and clever.

• Like 4

Troublemaker has fuckin great lyrics that are clever and well written like that and then just

"i like your BMW
I like your BMX-cellent tits with a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue".

Most other bad lyrics i can see like....why Billie would write that and think its good. "Old enough to bleed now" a lot of people hate but i can imagine him thinking its clever because growing older in both senses, physically and maturity and such. I can see why he'd write that and plenty of other trilogy lines and think "This works and is cool". I cannot imagine how the fuck he wrote "BMX-Cellent tits with a tattoo of  a pig sniffing glue" and think "yeah that works! :)" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Troublemaker has fuckin great lyrics that are clever and well written like that and then just

"i like your BMW

Most other bad lyrics i can see like....why Billie would write that and think its good. "Old enough to bleed now" a lot of people hate but i can imagine him thinking its clever because growing older in both senses, physically and maturity and such. I can see why he'd write that and plenty of other trilogy lines and think "This works and is cool". I cannot imagine how the fuck he wrote "BMX-Cellent tits with a tattoo of  a pig sniffing glue" and think "yeah that works! :)" 

That's a great way to put it.😀

It's just a silly word play about a guy who's acting silly in the song, I don't even think it's that bad and it gave me a chuckle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Speaking of the trilogy, not sure if unpopular, but i love the Trilogy aesthetic. The skate punk style with neon colors mixed with black and white to make the neon stuff pop much more and its soooo gooooood.

I believe this is unpopular (a lot of people consider it too gaudy looking) but I love it too. Have a giant poster of the three covers/faces on my wall.

I actually like the look of it too! When it came out a giant poster hung on my wall and stayed there for the next two years. 

I wouldn't say the trilogy covers are my favourites as Green Day have had many iconic album covers but yeah, I like it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Speaking of the trilogy, not sure if unpopular, but i love the Trilogy aesthetic. The skate punk style with neon colors mixed with black and white to make the neon stuff pop much more and its soooo gooooood.

Not only that, but their wardrobe for the tours was my favorite too. Instead of just black shirts and vests, Billie had the coolest and widest variety of t-shirts, jerseys, jackets, etc in colors and stripes that I’ve ever seen him wear onstage. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jirachi said:

"i like your BMW

In his defense, a lot that usually doesn't make sense works just fine when you're high :P

• Thanks 1

I come back after 3 months and we're discussing the questionable lyrical choices in the Trilogy.

You could run a clock by the contents of this thread.

• Like 1