Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

54 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The only thing that could justify an anniversary tour would be if they did it in small venues and as a trio."Authentic Dookie experience" would still mean they'd be milking an old album but it would deffo have some added value.

True but I would dig that shit tbh. Does that mean Billie will be high on acid too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

True but I would dig that shit tbh. Does that mean Billie will be high on acid too?

Definitely and I'd love that. I will provide mushrooms from the forest behind my house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Definitely and I'd love that. I will provide mushrooms from the forest behind my house.

I just checked your house on google earth and there is no forest behind it, you lying city rat!!! :lol: 

Oh wait, nevermind, I can see some trees, excuse moi:whistle

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

I just checked your house on google earth and there is no forest behind it, you lying city rat!!! :lol: 

Stalker!!!

I think that Kerplunk is a better album than Dookie, production quality notwithstanding. I think that Kerplunk has less filler songs - for me Coming Clean, Emenius Sleepus and In the End have all felt like filler to me, but on Kerplunk the only filler track for me personally is Dominated Love Slave. Kerplunk is also home to two of what I think are Green Day's most underrated songs of all time, 80 and No One Knows. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, bjrules said:

I think that Kerplunk is a better album than Dookie, production quality notwithstanding. I think that Kerplunk has less filler songs - for me Coming Clean, Emenius Sleepus and In the End have all felt like filler to me, but on Kerplunk the only filler track for me personally is Dominated Love Slave. Kerplunk is also home to two of what I think are Green Day's most underrated songs of all time, 80 and No One Knows. 

Thank you. I have long thought this. I listen to Kerplunk way more often than I do Dookie and I love everything on it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think Kerplunk sounds like a trial run for Dookie (which makes sense, since they got signed to a major label based on Kerplunk and got to make an album in a big studio etc following on from it, seems natural that it wouldn't be a big change in musical direction). I find them Green Day's two most similar albums, but I do think Dookie is better.

Calling Coming Clean filler is definitely unpopular! I think it's great, so much said in such a short simple song. "I found out what it takes to be a man" has to be one of Billie's best lyrics, totally flips the idea that bisexuality makes someone somehow "less of a man" and instead makes coming to that realisation something empowering.

Perhaps filler isn’t the right word for it. I definitely enjoy the song and lyrically I think it’s great for the reasons you’ve stated. But I think that because it and the other tracks I’ve mentioned are so short they don’t stand out as much to me? In the End is probably the main one that I think is filler, and it was perhaps unfair of me to include Coming Clean in that category 

Kerplunk has the better songs, no doubt. Dookie almost feels regressive to me songwriting-wise.

Gosh, I was thinking about this thing, today, while listening to ìUNO! and... then I've read your recent posts and found out that I wasn't THAT alone. This has nothing to do with ìUNO! but I'll start with a premise.

Since I was a little kid I've always had this need of getting deeper. The movie or the record wasn't enough. So I read tons of critics, reviews and focus(es) on. While it might be great, it has its ''mean'' side. I remember a guy saying, ''It's a curse, when you learn how cinema is made, you can't enjoy it the same way, again''. This premise is to say that I've a few years where I stopped talking from the heart due to the internet overanalyzing leit motiv and that opinion overload I've gone tru. Let's say I'm ''sober'' now, haha... I learned to put feelings and analysis where they should be, on a total dfferent table. Said this, I won't remark that Kerplunk! is better than Dookie, 'cause Kerplunk! is my fave album but Dookie was the 1st I've ever bought and I called my 1st dog with that name (miss you) but that's another story. Two things ''inspired'' me writing this. A guy saying that, after Warning, he didn't feel that special thing anymore. And then the word ''regressive'' used by @Clockwise, 40 minutes ago.

Putting feelings in a box for a while, I gotta say that both aren't that wrong. And, to me, when you analyze Green Day, you have to accept that, basically, they never changed their way of making music. While Kerplunk! could have been, in its own terms, ''fresh'' in 1992, the following Dookie was really nothing new, musically. It may sound crazy, but if you notice, not even in the long Nimrod you find ''different'' stuff from Insomniac or 39/Smooth. Apart from a few single episodes. Experiments, I'd say. Same with Warning, where they never abandoned or innovated their formula, just added new elements to it. The very different step, even if not a total different step, was American Idiot. And it's true that, after that record, nothing different came out. 21st Century Breakdown was a longer (and tired, in some parts) version of it. Trilogy was a way weaker version of Nimrod funny approach. Revolution Radio it's, like many have already said, a good mix of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.

I love every Green Day song, so this is not an hateful statement, just an unpopular opinion, I guess. They're like my friends' band I never get bored of. While every other artist I adore it's an artist... Green Day are something familiar, to me. In the deeper sense possible. I didn't want them to split out in 1994, but it's about what you play. And how you play it. Green Day always played a punk rock stick to 3, 4 chords progression and a very distinctive rythmic section. And I'm ashamed of how much talented they are. You gotta be great to always sound good without reinventing yourself. Sometimes bands lose their track trying to get 'huge'' or different like it's a rule... Fall Out Boy, a band I'm obsessed with, are a good, sad, example. They lost their sound and pureness in favor of ambitions. This to tell that, as long as Green Day play punk their own way, I'm happy. But that's another story, too.

I hope it's readable, and understandable. A bunch of mixed thoughts... 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bjrules said:

Perhaps filler isn’t the right word for it. I definitely enjoy the song and lyrically I think it’s great for the reasons you’ve stated. But I think that because it and the other tracks I’ve mentioned are so short they don’t stand out as much to me? In the End is probably the main one that I think is filler, and it was perhaps unfair of me to include Coming Clean in that category 

Yeah actually I think I know what you mean, there is kind of a group of quick simple songs on Dookie that you can pick out separately from the longer ones that have more to them. Like, In The End, Emenius Sleepus, Sassafras Roots, Coming Clean, maybe Chump, as opposed to songs like When I Come Around or Longview. They're probably not as "accomplished" as some of the others but I like them anyway and I think Coming Clean is the best of them. I think having some short simple songs throughout the album gives it a different vibe and energy that I like, if it was all the longer more developed songs it might drag a bit.

• Like 3

I saw somewhere, sorry if it was here, there has been so much about Dookie recently I’m getting it all mixed up, speculation that they may re-record Dookie with modern equipment etc, but if they are going to re-record anything, I would want it to Kerplunk which is chock full of great songs!  I don’t think they will do any of this, I think it would be totally out of character.

• Like 1

Kerplunk is in the bottom 2 least favourite GD albums for me. While there are some songs I listen to quite often (80, 2000LYA, Christie Road), I rarely hear the whole thing. So I get it in my head that 'ugh I don't like Kerplunk' until I actually sit down and listen to it, only to realize it's way better than I remembered it to be lol. You'd think I'd learn that no, you don't hate Kerplunk if you just listen to it but for some reason it just won't get in my head. It's just an album I never want to pick up despite enjoying it more than imagined every single time. 

So I agree with @jengd. While I don't exactly like the idea of re-recordings, I'd be cool with it if they did that for Kerplunk. Maybe I'd finally start listening to it and stop thinking I hate it then 😅

13 hours ago, bjrules said:

I think the closest thing that comes to filler in Dookie is Sassafras Roots

• Like 1

What?! I love Sassafras Roots! I never considered Dookie do have any filler; I think the whole thing is great, but I can see what people mean. Near the end there are about 3 or 4 songs that sound similar so it's easy to mash them up together. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

What?! I love Sassafras Roots! I never considered Dookie do have any filler; I think the whole thing is great, but I can see what people mean. Near the end there are about 3 or 4 songs that sound similar so it's easy to mash them up together. 

It's an enjoyable track but I'd say it's the one track I'd consider lesser compared to the rest. I think the three 90 second songs are great coming one by one. It's just like a quickfire of great fast songs

• Like 2

Whenever I hear Sassafras Roots I just think of this. It's not a bad song, but it's not good either. One of those songs I never purposely put on and sometimes even skip. Never when I listen to Dookie in full though, as I agree with @kaylubd that the album doesn't have any filler! All songs together is just great, even the ones I don't necessarily like on their own.  

Eh I still disagree. For some reason Sassafrass Roots has always been one of my favorite songs on Dookie. The one that I like, but will skip sometimes is Pulling Teeth, so I understand where you all are coming from. It's not a bad song, but I don't think it's as great as the others. 

• Like 1

As with American Idiot, the more I've listened to Dookie, the more I've gradually grown to like all the songs that I might have skipped before. These days there isn't really a single song I would consider skipping. That being said, it's all subjective obviously, because I for one love Pulling Teeth. The topic / lyrics of the song can be interpreted light heartedly or seriously and in both cases the melody perfectly underlines the sentiment. It really is a truly fabulous album...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I love it too! It's a really cool concept for a love song just wanting to waste time together and with the repeating "wasting your time". Awesome.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 4:20 AM, disappearingfs said:

[...] And, to me, when you analyze Green Day, you have to accept that, basically, they never changed their way of making music. [...] Green Day always played a punk rock stick to 3, 4 chords progression and a very distinctive rythmic section. And I'm ashamed of how much talented they are. You gotta be great to always sound good without reinventing yourself. Sometimes bands lose their track trying to get 'huge'' or different like it's a rule... Fall Out Boy, a band I'm obsessed with, are a good, sad, example. They lost their sound and pureness in favor of ambitions. This to tell that, as long as Green Day play punk their own way, I'm happy. But that's another story, too.

I hope it's readable, and understandable. A bunch of mixed thoughts... 🙂

It's perfectly readable! ;) Even though I've never made this statement for myself that Green Day never changed their way of making music, and that I don't know if I would be able to make a full, proper definition of how they do it, the way I feel it, I agree. I'll ad this, what they do at each time is in the continuum of their previous work. Although I wouldn't say they have been reinventing themselves, I see a constant evolution in their music, in a good way. I love the early albums, but to me it doesn't sound the same as the newer ones at all, despite the similar chords progression. To me the latest albums are definitely more achieved. Even without ranking them, all I can say is, when listening to Dookie I have hard time imagining it's the same guy who 20 years later writes songs like Still Breathing and Forever Now. That isn't said in detriment to Dookie at all, and precisely I think it's great that I have sometimes hard time figuring it's the same band who wrote all this abundant, various stuff. And the change I feel is not only for Billie's voice change. I guess that just rejoins what you were saying, what more to ask if the guys are capable of doing so many different songs, and albums which still all have their own vibe although made using the same chords, throughout 30 years? For what reason would they need to do it differently? I don't know Fall Out Boy well so I can't tell about their sound change, but I make that guess, not every songwriter has the profusion of inspiration that Billie has. He just proves that sticking to the same simple technique is not an obstacle to come up with melodies and make new songs out of it, as long as you have the knack to do so and the necessary inspiration. I'm not aiming at any other band, but I just don't believe every songwriter could be as gifted as Billie, not needing to improve the composing technique to, still, keep sounding better with time.

• Like 1

After a while, I realized that the trilogy is old school sounding, but not as dookie, if not earlier. If Kerplunk was recorded today, it would sound like the trilogy.

On 5/5/2015 at 8:31 AM, captain peroxide said:

She was either born Erica and changed it to Arica, or was born Arica and changed it to Erica, I can't remember which.

Hi.

Edited by Arica Pelino

3 hours ago, Arica Pelino said:

Hello... I am Arica Pelino and I see you guys are talking about me. A lot of confused details floating around out there. Can I help?

Spill all the tea you got, robot :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Spill all the tea you got, robot :wub:

Not a robot, just trying to learn how to post to individuals in this forum.