Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

On 2/19/2018 at 4:26 AM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Are We The Waiting is one of my favourite songs on AI (Idk if that's unpopular, but I barely ever see anyone talking about it). I just think that it's so underrated. There are some beautiful lyrics in it - I think that "the rage and love, the story of my life, the Jesus of suburbia is a lie," is one of the best lyrics Billie has ever written. And the transition from AWTW to St. Jimmy is my favourite part of the entire album, tbh. I love the contrast of the two songs - AWTW is so calm and actually pretty sad, and then BAM! It's St. Jimmy, bitch.

Definitely underrated. I think it's because it's on such an amazing album it gets overlooked. It also gets overlooked in terms of being very different for Green Day. Everyone references the album as a whole or JoS as Green Day trying something different, but AWTW is also completely new for them.

• Like 2

Not sure how unpopular this is, but it's taken quite awhile for Castaway to grow on me.  I've always been music first, lyrics second, and the music for Castaway has never done much for me, but the lyrics have spoken to me a lot lately.

8 hours ago, Montclare said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, but it's taken quite awhile for Castaway to grow on me.  I've always been music first, lyrics second, and the music for Castaway has never done much for me, but the lyrics have spoken to me a lot lately.

It grabbed me the first time I heard it because it was a catchy bop. The lyrics sound to me like it could be a sitcom theme tune. :lol:  He writes a lot of “I’m all alone” songs but this one is just so happy about it. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I love Castaway, I would single out the bass solo but honestly everyone is on fire on that song (the whole of Warning, really), and "conscientious objector to the war that's in my mind" is an incredible line.

Yeah, that's the main line that I love too.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't get past the line "going at it alone" :lol:. Especially knowing that they see the dirtiness in everything and would be 100% aware of the double entendre :P. It's super catchy though, fun song.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

the line "going at it alone" :lol:. Especially knowing that they see the dirtiness in everything and would be 100% aware of the double entendre

? I don't get that double entendre?

9 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

? I don't get that double entendre?

It means wanking :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

Thanks, why? :P 

You used to be the person who never got any double entendres, now here you are, explaining a wank joke. You've come a long way. :wub:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

You used to be the person who never got any double entendres, now here you are, explaining a wank joke. You've come a long way. :wub:

I get the occasional obvious one, most still tend to fly past me :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Libertine Angel said:

I get the occasional obvious one, most still tend to fly past me :P 

I must be the person who never gets the occasional obvious double entendres :lol:

I adore Castaway, even with that double entendre :lol: I got "I'm on a sentimental journey into sight and sound" engraved on my ipod like 8 years ago. I love the whole "I'm alone and don't give a fuck" thing going on, I see it almost as a song of hope. Warning's definitely the most positive album they've written. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I adore Castaway, even with that double entendre :lol: I got "I'm on a sentimental journey into sight and sound" engraved on my ipod like 8 years ago. I love the whole "I'm alone and don't give a fuck" thing going on, I see it almost as a song of hope. Warning's definitely the most positive album they've written. 

“I’m alone and don’t give a fuck” was my first inspirational takeaway when I became a fan. 💚 They got me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I fucking love Castaway.:wub: It's just so damn catchy, I can't not love it. Warning is one of those albums that's taking quite a long time for me to get into, but Castaway had me at first listen. And to this day, it's still in my top 3 songs from Warning.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I fucking love Castaway.:wub: It's just so damn catchy, I can't not love it. Warning is one of those albums that's taking quite a long time for me to get into, but Castaway had me at first listen. And to this day, it's still in my top 3 songs from Warning.

Warning has also taken some time to grow on me as a whole. Still, there were a few songs I enjoyed from the start (such as Castaway) and others I immediately loved : Deadbeat Holiday, Hold On and Waiting, which are still among my favorite Green Day songs. 

This is the unpopular opinion thread, so Warning has always been one of my favorite albums. However, I think Castaway is one of the weaker ones on the album. I find it to be very generic and doesn't fit in the whole style of the album.   

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

This is the unpopular opinion thread, so Warning has always been one of my favorite albums. However, I think Castaway is one of the weaker ones on the album. I find it to be very generic and doesn't fit in the whole style of the album.   

I felt that way about Waiting for a long time. I think it's only after I saw them perform it live that I finally fell in love with it.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:21 AM, ¡Jenn! said:

WMUWSE is the only song I skip on God's Favorite Band :ninja: 

It's probably been overplayed, but for me it's still THAT holly song I can never dare to skip. Also it's the only song that's actually made me cry. I don't know why but I find the guitar solo so emotional.

On 25/2/2018 at 2:25 PM, Grubby Poop said:

I agree completely. Warning (the song) was one of the songs that made me love them. It's a poppy album, but hey, not everything has to be stuff like Insomniac. Blood, Sex & Booze, Warning, Jackass, Hold On, Deadbeat Holiday, Misery... some of the timeless gems this album has to offer.

• Like 3

I'm just gonna jump on the bandwagon and say I love Warning too, and I also think AI is punk af. Most people really disagree with that last one...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

I'm just gonna jump on the bandwagon and say I love Warning too, and I also think AI is punk af. Most people really disagree with that last one...

I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider AI punk, it has its quiet moments but so does every Clash album except Give 'Em Enough Rope and nobody says London Calling isn't punk.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider AI punk, it has its quiet moments but so does every Clash album except Give 'Em Enough Rope and nobody says London Calling isn't punk.

A lot of people say it's too conceptual and clichéd to be punk, but I think the conceptual aspects, paired with the subject matter, make it punk.

• Like 1