Jump to content
Spike

Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

I still think Revolution Radio is put up on an unnecessary pedestal. It's good, but not "iconic" as I saw Hot Topic describe it. I just thought it was an alright album, probably 5th or 6th best in their catalogue.

Agreed! Although I wouldn't even put it that high myself to be honest. Yes, it's quite good and has some of the best work in years. That being said, I just think they've set the bar quite high with their previous work, so while I wouldn't place it a lot lower, I think it would probably end up somewhere in my lower third. I mean, there's just so much other great work they've done in the last 25 years, that I just can't bring myself to place this any higher. Therefore, while I believe it is still possible, it will (imo) be quite difficult for the guys to produce another top-notch album which actually manages to get into my personal top 3 or even top 5 in the very near future...

Still, can't say I'm not excited for the next album! I'll be really interested to see which way they go...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

I love the fact that they tried to do more than just power chords and that most songs are different for them, a bit of a step outside the box. That is one of the reasons that Bang Bang is one of my least favorite songs on the album because it was "what was expected". I also think it is one of the most personal albums Billie has ever written. 

It's funny because I thought Bang Bang was the perfect lead single for the album. I love that song and didn't think it was all that expected. That song is just a straight rocker and just comes at you. I'm also a little partial to it because I saw them perform it live for the first time at The Newport and that moment was just incredible.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

It's funny because I thought Bang Bang was the perfect lead single for the album. I love that song and didn't think it was all that expected. That song is just a straight rocker and just comes at you. I'm also a little partial to it because I saw them perform it live for the first time at The Newport and that moment was just incredible.

I agree that it was a great lead single. However, after I heard the rest of the album and realized what they did with the rest of it, Bang Bang fell by the way side. To me, Billie has written 10,000 songs just like Bang Bang, the only thing different he did was add the octaves (which is very cool). But many of the other songs were different than what he has done before. I honestly skip Bang Bang now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed my love for 21CB has waned over the years... I still like it but rarely listen to it all the way through. It's long and overwhelming and there's always a few songs I want to skip. There are some great songs on it but it's not really my favorite like it used to be when it first came out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

I agree that it was a great lead single. However, after I heard the rest of the album and realized what they did with the rest of it, Bang Bang fell by the way side. To me, Billie has written 10,000 songs just like Bang Bang, the only thing different he did was add the octaves (which is very cool). But many of the other songs were different than what he has done before. I honestly skip Bang Bang now. 

For me too, there are many other songs on the album that I would take over Bang Bang, at least half of them; but it's also the comparison with live versions of Bang Bang (which I'm crazy about) that makes the listening to the album version a bit less attractive. So when I listen to it album version, it's usually while listening to the album in full. Never thought of skipping it though, the 3 first songs on RevRad back to back (Somewhere Now, Bang Bang, Revolution Radio) are one of my favorite things.

14 hours ago, AmyxLongview said:

I've noticed my love for 21CB has waned over the years... I still like it but rarely listen to it all the way through. It's long and overwhelming and there's always a few songs I want to skip. There are some great songs on it but it's not really my favorite like it used to be when it first came out

That might be my 2nd GD favorite album, also the first one I fell onto when discovering the band a year and a half ago, and I admit most of the time I don't listen to it in full. Usually half of it at a time. Problem, my favorite songs in there are quite scattered all over the album, so when I start by the beginning and I know I won't listen to the entirety, lack of time or attention, I sometimes choose to skip some songs here and there as to go to my favorites; and when on contrary I listen to all of them in sequence, I often have the feeling to rediscover those songs I listen to less often. So either way I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

I agree that it was a great lead single. However, after I heard the rest of the album and realized what they did with the rest of it, Bang Bang fell by the way side. To me, Billie has written 10,000 songs just like Bang Bang, the only thing different he did was add the octaves (which is very cool). But many of the other songs were different than what he has done before. I honestly skip Bang Bang now. 

I still think BB is one of the better songs on the album in terms of lyrics and sound. Maybe Billie has written songs like BB before but not for a while. There was certainly nothing like it on the trilogy and even on 21CB, there were very few songs as fast or as loud as Bang Bang. I think the best of the sort of political songs are the ones that focus on particular issues like BB and SG as opposed to the ones that are more general like RR and TT.

20 hours ago, AmyxLongview said:

I've noticed my love for 21CB has waned over the years... I still like it but rarely listen to it all the way through. It's long and overwhelming and there's always a few songs I want to skip. There are some great songs on it but it's not really my favorite like it used to be when it first came out

It is long but I still enjoy every single track thoroughly, even the B-sides. Some of my favourite GD songs come from 21CB. I think it was a very creative time for Billie. I think despite its length, it's probably the album I'm least likely to skip a track on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I still think BB is one of the better songs on the album in terms of lyrics and sound. Maybe Billie has written songs like BB before but not for a while. There was certainly nothing like it on the trilogy and even on 21CB, there were very few songs as fast or as loud as Bang Bang. I think the best of the sort of political songs are the ones that focus on particular issues like BB and SG as opposed to the ones that are more general like RR and TT.

It is long but I still enjoy every single track thoroughly, even the B-sides. Some of my favourite GD songs come from 21CB. I think it was a very creative time for Billie. I think despite its length, it's probably the album I'm least likely to skip a track on.

That is an interesting theory. How do you account for AI as a whole? There was nothing on AI that was extremely specific. The whole album was more of a generalization of the need for change. I honestly don't think you can judge a theme based on whether it is specific or not. It really depends on the song itself. American Idiot was extremely effective, but again it was not about one specific subject but more for a call for change. While BB does deal with a specific subject I don't think it is effective. It sounds very similar to alot of other songs that GD has written so it doesn't really catch the ear. I don't know that alot of people, other than die hard fans, really got to the lyrics or the subject matter. However, Say Goodbye is a great example of something specific that doesn't sound like GD, which I think is far more effective. I will say the same for TT, it was one of my favorites from the beginning because it not the usual. 

BB sounds like alot of songs that GD has written before and I don't think it is anywhere near as good as songs that have been written in the past.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grubby Poop said:

That is an interesting theory. How do you account for AI as a whole? There was nothing on AI that was extremely specific. The whole album was more of a generalization of the need for change. I honestly don't think you can judge a theme based on whether it is specific or not. It really depends on the song itself. American Idiot was extremely effective, but again it was not about one specific subject but more for a call for change. While BB does deal with a specific subject I don't think it is effective. It sounds very similar to alot of other songs that GD has written so it doesn't really catch the ear. I don't know that alot of people, other than die hard fans, really got to the lyrics or the subject matter. However, Say Goodbye is a great example of something specific that doesn't sound like GD, which I think is far more effective. I will say the same for TT, it was one of my favorites from the beginning because it not the usual. 

BB sounds like alot of songs that GD has written before and I don't think it is anywhere near as good as songs that have been written in the past.      

I don't really consider it a rule or theory. It's just something I noticed on RevRad that I prefer the songs about specific issues. But I think we have enough of the more general kind of political songs and I'd like to see more songs about issues in the future.

But I don't think we've heard something like Bang Bang for a while. And I'm glad it's on the album. Imo, it does add a lot to the album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't really consider it a rule or theory. It's just something I noticed on RevRad that I prefer the songs about specific issues. But I think we have enough of the more general kind of political songs and I'd like to see more songs about issues in the future.

But I don't think we've heard something like Bang Bang for a while. And I'm glad it's on the album. Imo, it does add a lot to the album.

OK, I can get that then.

I didn't say I didn't like BB, I just think it is one of the weaker songs on the album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grubby Poop said:

OK, I can get that then.

I didn't say I didn't like BB, I just think it is one of the weaker songs on the album.

I'd have to agree with that. It's like a weak Jaded in places. Not a bad song, but it's not the one I'd choose to introduce someone to Green Day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spike said:

As much as I love RevRad I'm not sure how it'll stand the test of time. I mean in many ways it's the American Idiot of its time, but it's not as strong an album and didn't do as well, obviously. I feel like a lot of us, on here at least, maybe overreacted a little because it was such a nice surprise to have an album that strong after the disappointment of the Trilogy. I feel like a lot of the hype is all hot air. The singles from American Idiot and Breakdown were inescapable at the time, but I'm yet to hear anything from RevRad anywhere in public, be it on the radio, in clubs, anything. But Holiday, for example, is still EVERYWHERE. Don't get me wrong, I do love RevRad, but I feel like it'll end up being a cult classic at best.

I 100% agree, it's not a bad album but i don't think it will be remembered in the future, the trilogy was a great album as well but everybody forgot about it within a few years. In fact, the only Green Day songs that are still popular today (not counting RevRad) are the hits from Dookie and American Idiot (and Good Riddance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×