Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I used to hate Rest but I think it's now one of my favourites from 1039! I love the harmonies. I also love Only of You :wub:

Something I'm not a huge fan of is the acoustic version of Stay The Night :ninja: 

I should add actually, that the best thing about 1039 are probably the guitar solos (though they're nothing special, just blues minor pentatonic mostly). They're cool to listen to and can make an otherwise boring song quite enjoyable. And there are a few really good songs on that album too, also lyrics wise: Road To Acceptance, Going To Pasalacqua, Paper Lanterns. I also quite like 409 in your coffeemaker, though I prefer the reworked (dookie era) version. The thing is, unlike later 90s Green Day albums, I just can't really get myself to listen to the whole album (same thing goes for the trilogy btw). 

I don't understand the hate for Ordinary World feat. Miranda Lambert. I also think it was unnecessary and I prefer the original version too. 
But it's not too bad! It's only a bit slower. It doesn't suck. 

10 hours ago, Hermione said:

I really love The One I Want. Guitar solo gives me chills.

Not sure if Im a little dyslexic because I read this & thought this was what you were talking about.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

*looks at thread title* isn't that the idea? :lol: 

Its just easier for arguments sake:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Liam said:

Still Breathing is an amazing song but sucks live

I don’t even think it’s all that amazing. It’s kind of overrated. I know it’s supposed to be “emotional” and “inspiring” or whatever but I’ve always though it was just OK and wasn’t moved by it all that much.

For me, it’s kind of like the Brutal Love of this era... I never understood the hype. That and Outlaws. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I don’t even think it’s all that amazing. It’s kind of overrated. I know it’s supposed to be “emotional” and “inspiring” or whatever but I’ve always though it was just OK and wasn’t moved by it all that much.

For me, it’s kind of like the Brutal Love of this era... I never understood the hype. That and Outlaws. 

I agree. It's way too generic lyrically. This is just an assumption, I haven't discussed it with anyone outside the fandom - I think it seems so emotional because people connect it with all the hardships the band went through, but if you look at it on its own, it's just a song with quite generic and frankly sort of clichéd lyrics. I do enjoy it because I it has a wonderful melody, but it doesn't do much for me. 

I like Outlaws though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I sort of agree with you about SB. It's still good but yeah, not as "epic" as people have said. And Outlaws. Too long and gets a bit boring.

But regarding BL, sorry but that's probably the best Tré song (or X-Kid). Those 2 songs stand out compared to every other song on Tré. When I first discovered the trilogy, BL didn't have much of an impression on me but now I'd say it's in the Top 3 trilogy songs.

• Like 1

I can't say for sure I guess but I think I'd love Still Breathing without knowing the context. The combination of the lyrics, melody and the way it's sung is what makes it emotional rather than cheesy for me. I know Billie tried to write it so it would resonate with people other than himself (sources here, if anyone wants them), and I think he achieved that. I do agree that it can sound awful live on videos, but it's fine in person. One of my top 3 Green Day songs actually, not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not. I remember a lot of people hating it when it came out because it's "too poppy".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I guess the chorus is quite generic but the verses literally contain some of the most specifically personal lyrics Billie's ever written. "I'm like a son that was raised without a father, I'm like a mother barely keeping it together", like holy shit. I think that combo of personal references and more widely applicable lines makes it very touching and relatable. 

As is, “As I walked out on the ledge, are you scared to death to live, I’ve been running all my life...” 

I just love the lyrics, I’m only slightly disappointed that the melody was partially lifted and credited to another band. Also I love the album version, but it’s such a tough song to sing for some reason I don’t like hearing it live it always sounds like a struggle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

As is, “As I walked out on the ledge, are you scared to death to live, I’ve been running all my life...” 

I just love the lyrics, I’m only slightly disappointed that the melody was partially lifted and credited to another band. Also I love the album version, but it’s such a tough song to sing for some reason I don’t like hearing it live it always sounds like a struggle.

I absolutely love that line, as well as "my head's above the rain and roses". 

To be honest, I didn't like SB much the first time I heard it because of the melody, but it grew on me really quickly thanks to the lyrics and also the way Billie sings it - I thought it was beautiful live. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I love that as well, my favourite part.

I agree it sounds like a bit of a struggle live (as it's technically hard to sing) but I like it anyway, hearing Billie have to push his voice a bit can be quite entertaining :P. I always enjoyed him singing the high bits in 21 Guns even though he didn't always hit them that well too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't mind the imperfections in SB live. It's not easy and it was near the end of the set. No wonder he struggles with it.

I actually prefer the lyrics in chorus and bridge over the verses. 

47 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I love that as well, my favourite part.

I agree it sounds like a bit of a struggle live (as it's technically hard to sing) but I like it anyway, hearing Billie have to push his voice a bit can be quite entertaining :P. I always enjoyed him singing the high bits in 21 Guns even though he didn't always hit them that well too.

Yeah he always had to modify 21 Guns too although personally I would think the falsetto would be easier than the big high note he replaced it with.

I love SB but this just reminded me that, much as I like the album version of 21 Guns, I really, really love it when he replaces the high notes with the lower grisly ones.  I wonder if he regrets recoding the original with the falsetto?

9 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

I always liked 21 Guns but it wasn't one of my favourites even on the album until I heard it live, then it became my favourite song to hear on the 21CB Tour. It was just so emotional and that combined with the added piano and stage effects really got me. No idea if it was intentional, but I love that they used the same effect in Still Breathing. It was like parallels, a song about giving up and a song about living through giving up. Representative for both the band and I'm sure many more fans than just me

I love the comparison you make here. I didn't think of it before 

• Like 1

I don't like 21 Guns or Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) that much, they're too soft for me, i prefer the Brain Stew version of the latter compared to the Nimrod version.