Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

3 minutes ago, Stefano Bras said:

I'm surprised how quickly people forgot about State of Shock.

How do you know it’s not in our hearts and minds at all times? 😛

Actually, I only discovered that song not too long ago when I first listened to Demolicious and Shenanigans (more recent superfan here). That and Suffocate kind of freaked me out. I’m glad I only heard them post rehab.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Actually, I only discovered that song not too long ago when I first listened to Demolicious and Shenanigans (more recent superfan here). That and Suffocate kind of freaked me out. I’m glad I only heard them post rehab.

... and Rotting :cry: There are SO great songs on Shenanigans, I love it.

And I love State of Shock too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

How do you know it’s not in our hearts and minds at all times? 😛

39 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

... and Rotting :cry: There are SO great songs on Shenanigans, I love it.

And I love State of Shock too!

Yeah, I'm glad I became a super fan post rehab. Those songs, among others, are great but the sheer quantity of songs he wrote about dying, his addictions being out of control, depression, etc. would've had me worrying he was gonna turn up dead any day back then. I guess this is more of a popular opinion but I'm glad we're past that era (hopefully for good).

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but all this talk of OW reminds me that I really wish that song was left off Rev Rad. I have the CD in my car and I tend to skip it when it comes up, so I realized pretty quick that the ending of Forever Now is the same as the beginning of Somewhere Now. Not to mention I love album closers that reference songs earlier in the album. The album just feels done when that song ends and OW feels out of place. 

• Like 1

But remember too, we only just got Uno when he went into rehab, had still to hear Dos  and Tre, but yes, I think it’s fair to say we were all really worried and it’s why we are still a bit worried about them all at times. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Ok, I guess this is gonna be very controversial, but :D:

Ordinary World > Good Riddance 

I agree. I love them both, but GR is just so over-played that I'm kinda sick of hearing it rn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I agree. I love them both, but GR is just so over-played that I'm kinda sick of hearing it rn.

That's true. Good Riddance is by no means a bad song. I like it as well. But OW feels very sincere and touching. I love how simplistic it is and I'm not sure why so many fans dislike it. They played GR for years now. Maybe it's time to replace it.

32 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

That's the kind of content that makes me like this thread! And I personally agree :D

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Agreed OW is a very pretty, sincere, relatable song. I love GR but it is over played.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Oh heeeelllllll no! Them’s fighting words 😡

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh heeeelllllll no! Them’s fighting words 😡

I second this! times a million. 

40 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Agreed OW is a very pretty, sincere, relatable song. I love GR but it is over played.

Ya'll are just tired of GR. It's clouding your judgement, haha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

That's true. Good Riddance is by no means a bad song. I like it as well. But OW feels very sincere and touching. I love how simplistic it is and I'm not sure why so many fans dislike it. They played GR for years now. Maybe it's time to replace it.

I can't speak for all fans who dislike it but I think it's incredibly insincere. Which isn't Billie's fault but I'm sorry I can't buy "we don't have much..." when he's so rich and has literally everything I could ever dream of. Like I know he's singing from the character's perspective and I get that, but it makes it incredibly hard to connect with, for me at least. It's too long and repetitive, and personally I strongly dislike the sound of his voice on the original recording. He sounds weak and a little pitiful. Again, fitting with the character, but not with him. The new recording at least has way better vocals from him. And just on a personal level it depresses me because the last thing I want is to have an "ordinary" life, but that one's my issue. 

3 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I can't speak for all fans who dislike it but I think it's incredibly insincere. Which isn't Billie's fault but I'm sorry I can't buy "we don't have much..." when he's so rich and has literally everything I could ever dream of. Like I know he's singing from the character's perspective and I get that, but it makes it incredibly hard to connect with, for me at least. It's too long and repetitive, and personally I strongly dislike the sound of his voice on the original recording. He sounds weak and a little pitiful. Again, fitting with the character, but not with him. The new recording at least has way better vocals from him. And just on a personal level it depresses me because the last thing I want is to have an "ordinary" life, but that one's my issue. 

What's wrong with being ordinary?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

I don't know if my opinion is uncommon / unpopular, but the "I don't have much" in OW, I don't relate to it as financial / material owning. To me it refers to what one really has to give as a person; because despite money and richness, you can still feel poor and lonely inside. In the end, you level of richness isn't related to what you "have" that really matters. And whatever your level of richness, you still have your own "ordinary life" that you are free to see in which or other way. I hope this is clear enough :P

Beautifully stated. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

I don't know if my opinion is uncommon / unpopular, but the "I don't have much" in OW, I don't relate to it as financial / material owning. To me it refers to what one really has to give as a person; because despite money and richness, you can still feel poor and lonely inside. In the end, you level of richness isn't related to what you "have" that really matters. And whatever your level of richness, you still have your own "ordinary life" that you are free to see in which or other way. I hope this is clear enough :P

This is exactly what I've been thinking since the first time I heard OW, I've just never been able to put it into words.:happy:

• Like 1

Just now, SHART said:

That's the whiskey talkin

When I said disregard my posts that includes my status

• Love 1

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

What's wrong with being ordinary?

Nothing. I never said there was anything wrong with it. It’s just not what I want. It can be a beautiful thing for some people and I fully respect that. I just gravitate toward weird. 

1 hour ago, Kuromignonne said:

That’s interesting. I hadn’t thought of that perspective. It probably won’t change anything for me but I appreciate the alternative idea.

1 hour ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

@gaslight13 I always try to make a clear distinction between the content of a song and the singer. To me, a song tells a story and stories are usually fictional. I don't really care for the singer just like I don't care for the author if I read a book. It's about the lyrics. And I can relate to them. But you are right, if you assume that the song is supposed to represent the life of Billie Joe Armstrong in 2016, it wouldn't be sincere. But what matters to me is what meaning a song has to myself. Besides, I agree with @Kuromignonne. To me, the song is not necessarily about money. It's about feeling lost and helpless and confused. All that you have is your own personality, your own values and eventually your love for some else. 

That’s fair. I think a lot of people do that. I listen to music differently though. At least with my favorite artists. For me it’s like a conversation, if that makes sense, so I can’t separate the songwriter from the words. That said, how I apply that way of thinking depends on the artist. If Springsteen wrote this song, I wouldn’t have the same problem in that respect. Because for me, the conversation with him and his work is more of an external comment on society, people, and ways of thinking. With Green Day, it’s more personal, internal, and direct because of the ways I relate to Billie’s writing. But that’s very much a to each his own thing. We’re all fans of this band but not necessarily for the same reasons. There’s no wrong way to connect with a song, but with certain connections, some songs may not resonate like the rest. And for me, this song is one of a very very small number that I just do not click with.

• Like 2