Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

That means there's some hope for you yet :+)

Hope for me to beat you for the "Ugliest Man On Earth" award? Nah man you're the runaway favorite.

Words and phrases that don't mean anything, but sound cool. I'd quote some passages but it happens all the way through the song. All of the things surrounding the word "revolution", the stuff about demons and bloodsuckers... the things about therapy, the afterlife...

Green Day has always used those kind of words. Whatcha talking about, babe?

Hope for me to beat you for the "Ugliest Man On Earth" award? Nah man you're the runaway favorite.

3 year old me called, he wants his favourite insult back :+)

Ceadog and DookieLukie, cut it out.

NimrodJimrod***

Okay I'm done :P

One more post like this and you're suspended. This keeps happening, time after time, and you can never let anything go. Stop it.

Lol

Dying.

In the past they actually meant something. For example, it was easy to follow the story of JOS; you could appreciate the power of those words because of the obvious lyrical complexity. Here it seems like they're simply using them out of force of habit. They're empty.

Yeah that makes sense. I did get the impression that a lot of the Trilogy's lyrics were kind of hollow and pretentious. Trying to replicate past emotions.

Dying.

In the past they actually meant something. For example, it was easy to follow the story of JOS; you could appreciate the power of those words because of the obvious lyrical complexity. Here it seems like they're simply using them out of force of habit. They're empty.

Pretty much.

• Like 2

Well the band tried to apply a "concept" about Garage Rock, they wore vintage clothes as a "uniform". On American Idiot they applied a concept about Rock Operas and wearing a uniform, the same for 21stCB.

So, I still think Foxies records should had been a GD one.

:o But then they wouldn't have been able to play little spontaneous shows in/go on tour in bars with only a few hundred people there. And they wouldn't have played their fabulous, totally different characters at the shows! Doesn't always come across as much on video especially as people often don't film the banter between songs, but they really get into character, it's like watching a different band. A Green Day show in a small venue and Foxboro show in a small venue have virtually nothing in common, it's a whole different experience. Not to mention the absolute delight of having this surprise new side project appear with free songs, hilarious messages from the Rev and all kinds of fun stuff for everyone. There's a reason they did it as a different band, so they could have the freedom to write 60s style songs purely for fun with no pressure whatsoever, play tiny low key shows out of the spotlight, pretend to be awesome 60s characters, and totally let loose and be as drunk/fun/dirty as they wanted. As Green Day it would just be an album, as Foxboro Hot Tubs it's a whole complete package of awesomeness.

:o But then they wouldn't have been able to play little spontaneous shows in/go on tour in bars with only a few hundred people there. And they wouldn't have played their fabulous, totally different characters at the shows! Doesn't always come across as much on video especially as people often don't film the banter between songs, but they really get into character, it's like watching a different band. A Green Day show in a small venue and Foxboro show in a small venue have virtually nothing in common, it's a whole different experience. Not to mention the absolute delight of having this surprise new side project appear with free songs, hilarious messages from the Rev and all kinds of fun stuff for everyone. There's a reason they did it as a different band, so they could have the freedom to write 60s style songs purely for fun with no pressure whatsoever, play tiny low key shows out of the spotlight, pretend to be awesome 60s characters, and totally let loose and be as drunk/fun/dirty as they wanted. As Green Day it would just be an album, as Foxboro Hot Tubs it's a whole complete package of awesomeness.

I do agree with this, and think it's awesome, but at the same time... Doesn't it kind of go against your thinking of "it doesn't matter whether it says Green Day or Foxboro on the cover of an album, it'd sound the same either way," or am I completely missing the point?

• Like 1

I do agree with this, and think it's awesome, but at the same time... Doesn't it kind of go against your thinking of "it doesn't matter whether it says Green Day or Foxboro on the cover of an album, it'd sound the same either way," or am I completely missing the point?

All I'm saying is the music doesn't sound different and isn't any more or less enjoyable whether it's released as Foxboro or Green Day. As far as the rest of the stuff that comes with it then it's definitely different, and it'd be a shame not to have had that variety in the shows/marketing etc. If people were saying they wanted Dos to be a Foxboro album so there'd be Foxboro shows and stuff, or if they were saying going into the project as Foxboro would've made them feel more free and lead to even better songs then I might agree (probably not though as they were releasing Green Day albums, that's what they were doing so if they were doing stuff and putting on shows then realistically it'd be as Green Day, and the feeling free thing isn't an issue now like it was after AI, they no longer need a side project to be totally free writing more simple/fun songs so I doubt Dos would've been affected by pressures of being Green Day the way Stop Drop And Roll might've been) but that's not what they're saying. They're just saying the music would be more appropriate as Foxboro and that having that written on the CD would somehow make it better.

• Like 1

This thread is shit. Bring back the old Unpopular Opinions Thread.

/unpopular opinion.

how so? at least we witnessed an argument on this thread too

Green Day better make up for their terrible trilog- wait, no. That's a popular opinion.

I think Green Day should do some stuff similar to Dookie and Insomniac, but at the same time, mix it in with stuff of their more modern work(BUT NOT FUCKING UNO DOS AND TRE)

• Like 1

I don't consider DRB to be in the same echelon as a JoS, Homecoming, 21st Century Breakdown or American Eulogy. To me, it's simply a medley (not a suite) that I can enjoy without regret. Mike's bass is definitely one of my favorites along with Castaway, She, and Makeout Party. Whether or not it's an objectively "good" song musically, it's always fun to listen to for me.

• Like 3

• lizziebix featured this topic