Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

Spike

Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

12,300 posts in this topic

@Destiny.

I actually think KYE was a bad choice for a first single, but then I don't think it should have been 21 Guns either (that's too soft).

Besides that, I agree with you.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

I don't know if this counts as unpopular or not but, I don't think Bang Bang should have been the lead single for revrad, I think it should've been Still Breathing, especially after seeing both videos I feel like SB is so much more symbolic of a 'comeback' (not that they truly went away but yknow what I mean). Bang Bang is obviously in tune with the current state of the world so it's still relevant.

I also fucking love Youngblood and it's so fun live :dance:

I'm a little tempted to agree with you, but only because it would've saved me the money I spent preordering the red vinyl :P I fucking love Bang Bang and immediately preordered hoping the whole album would be as much a punk masterpiece as the song, each subsequent single killed my enthusiasm a bit more.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

 ((Plus y'know, the demo was leaked online and people probably would have been anxious to hear what the finished version sounded like.))

I preferred the demo over the finished version, but then listening to the album as a whole and having it begin and end with the same chords made more sense in the end. 

Its true I guess that they'd want a higher-energy lead single, Oh Love was a bit too laid back and lacked excitement, maybe if they'd have gone with Kill The DJ it would've kicked off the trilogy better (I say better, I mean...anything to make it better would've been wonderful. I always thought KYE was a weak choice, East Jesus Nowhere wouldve been better imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought of two more:

- The bass solo in Makeout Party is the only reason that song is good. :P

- I Run NY is a good song. Not exactly Green Day  related, but it's a good song! 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked the vocals in Makeout Party even more! Maybe not more, it is awesome how the bassline riffs through the chorus lines. Sounds so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Know Your Enemy is a particularly good show opener. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spike said:

I don't think Know Your Enemy is a particularly good show opener. 

I don't like it either but I guess it's good to the crowd ready I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't like it that much either as a song, although it's ok as an opener, but especially the slow version of it that they're doing now irritates me. They used to play it quicker and it just lacks some of the energy that it had previously (21CB and 99 Revolutions tour). I really don't get why they're playing it at this speed?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yeah, I don't like it that much either as a song, although it's ok as an opener, but especially the slow version of it that they're doing now irritates me. They used to play it quicker and it just lacks some of the energy that it had previously (21CB and 99 Revolutions tour). I really don't get why they're playing it at this speed?

I don't know why, don't know if it's just me but 2000 light years away seems slower also

Edited by paperlanterns22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Green Day gripes:

1) I have never ever liked Take Back. I'm fine with it until the chorus, at which point I want to peel my own skin off to stop the cringe from spreading 😂

2) Why why why every damn time they play Minority do they slow down for the chorus?! It is so jolting and they do it every single time they play it live. Please play at the same tempo, thank you. 😄

Also, that whole scene on BIAB where they're in the Imperial War Museum and Billie is knocking on that bomb, please stop. Sam Bayer made that whole thing so cringey, I find it really funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't think Know Your Enemy is a particularly good show opener. 

Absolutely agree. I think 21st CB was an incredible opener, because it starts slowly and then suddenly kicks in and I still remember exactly how excited it made me every time. 

For this tour, a song from Revolution Radio might have been better imo. Not quite sure which one though. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere Now would have been perfect, needs to be in set and like 21stCB it starts slow and kicks in heavy. A slow walk onto the stage and then the opening notes would have been awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 6:01 PM, Yuri Plisetsky said:

I honestly think 21st Century Breakdown should have been the first choice for a single. While it lays down a heavy message, it's the song they came out with during tours at that time, it's the title song, and is a high enough energy song that it would get you pumped up for the rest of the album. ((Plus y'know, the demo was leaked online and people probably would have been anxious to hear what the finished version sounded like.))

I always thought that should've been the lead single. Would've created a lot more excitement than KYE for the follow up to AI and 21CB deserved to do better in the charts and it would've if it was released as the 1st single instead of the 4th single

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

I always thought that should've been the lead single. Would've created a lot more excitement than KYE for the follow up to AI and 21CB deserved to do better in the charts and it would've if it was released as the 1st single instead of the 4th single

Totally agree. 21CB is a great song, and it still sounds as brilliant now as it did when they released the album, I'll never get tired of that chant in the middle - WE ARE THE CLASS OF, THE CLASS OF 13, BORN IN THE ERA OF HUMILITY. WE ARE THE DESPERATE IN THE DECLINE, RAISED BY THE BASTARDS OF 1969! Absolutely brilliant!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I always thought that should've been the lead single. Would've created a lot more excitement than KYE for the follow up to AI and 21CB deserved to do better in the charts and it would've if it was released as the 1st single instead of the 4th single

I think where they really dropped the ball was not making the most of East Jesus Nowhere. When the album came out that was the number one song all the interviewers asked about, but instead of being released as a major single with a killer video early on it was thrown away as a quietly not even worldwide released one without a proper video at the same time as 21st CB. I think Know Your Enemy was an OK first single, people would've been excited for any upbeat song they'd picked when they'd been away so long and critics were raving about the album at that point.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hermione said:

I think where they really dropped the ball was not making the most of East Jesus Nowhere. When the album came out that was the number one song all the interviewers asked about, but instead of being released as a major single with a killer video early on it was thrown away as a quietly not even worldwide released one without a proper video at the same time as 21st CB. I think Know Your Enemy was an OK first single, people would've been excited for any upbeat song they'd picked and critics were raving about the album at that point.

I definitely agree with you about EJN as well. That song was another great song that didn't get the recognition it deserved. 21CB is filled with great songs like that

I think KYE was ok too, but when you have a single like 21CB and so many other amazing choices on the album, it seems strange to me to pick KYE as the first single

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I definitely agree with you about EJN as well. That song was another great song that didn't get the recognition it deserved. 21CB is filled with great songs like that

I think KYE was ok too, but when you have a single like 21CB and so many other amazing choices on the album, it seems strange to me to pick KYE as the first single

1-21CBD

2-21 Guns

3-KYE

4-Last of the American Girls

5-EJN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenDayTheory said:

1-21CBD

2-21 Guns

3-KYE

4-Last of the American Girls

5-EJN

I don't think LOTAG should've been a single either. Again, there were other tracks that had more potential imo

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think where they really dropped the ball was not making the most of East Jesus Nowhere. When the album came out that was the number one song all the interviewers asked about, but instead of being released as a major single with a killer video early on it was thrown away as a quietly not even worldwide released one without a proper video at the same time as 21st CB. I think Know Your Enemy was an OK first single, people would've been excited for any upbeat song they'd picked when they'd been away so long and critics were raving about the album at that point.

The is such a killer song and I'm disappointed it didn't receive more attention or was released as a single. 

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I don't think LOTAG should've been a single either. Again, there were other tracks that had more potential imo

Omg...you just reminded me that stupid song was a single. I think that's the worse song on the album. It's so flat and just boring and generic. I was so bummed when they released it as a single and it had a lame video. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I definitely agree with you about EJN as well. That song was another great song that didn't get the recognition it deserved. 21CB is filled with great songs like that

I think KYE was ok too, but when you have a single like 21CB and so many other amazing choices on the album, it seems strange to me to pick KYE as the first single

I guess they wanted a simple punchy one to start, like that album's American Idiot. And then 21 Guns was that album's BOBD. I'm just sad that EJN wasn't it's Holiday like it should've been :P 

I think part of why 21st CB didn't do as well as it might have (after getting glowing 5 star reviews when it came out, some saying it was better than American Idiot etc) is that the AI musical happened a few months later and they opted to pretty much abandon all promotion of 21st CB in favour of promoting the musical (they quietly hurried out the 21st CB and EJN singles and that was it for promotion of anything but the musical and 21st CB songs that were in the musical). Might've just been that it already wasn't doing as well as they'd hoped and it just made more sense to go with the thing that was doing really well but it was a shame to see it overshadowed.

11 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I don't think LOTAG should've been a single either. Again, there were other tracks that had more potential imo

It was in the AI musical and better songs on the album weren't - surely the only reason it was picked.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I guess they wanted a simple punchy one to start, like that album's American Idiot. And then 21 Guns was that album's BOBD. I'm just sad that EJN wasn't it's Holiday like it should've been :P 

I think part of why 21st CB didn't do as well as it might have (after getting glowing 5 star reviews when it came out, some saying it was better than American Idiot etc) is that the AI musical happened a few months later and they opted to pretty much abandon all promotion of 21st CB in favour of promoting the musical (they quietly hurried out the 21st CB and EJN singles and that was it for promotion of anything but the musical and 21st CB songs that were in the musical). Might've just been that it already wasn't doing as well as they'd hoped and it just made more sense to go with the thing that was doing really well but it was a shame to see it overshadowed.

It was in the AI musical and better songs on the album weren't - surely the only reason it was picked.

I just followed the singles :lol: I don't like it that much though :P

If my desicion I would dropout LOTAG and add Viva La Gloria!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, July 08, 2017 at 4:50 PM, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I actually like the Sweet Children EP. I mean, it's obviously not the best thing they've ever done, not even close, but I like Sweet Children and Best Thing In Town. My Generation is an okay cover. I don't really like Strangeland though.

I freakin' love all of it. It's actually the reason why Kerplunk is my favourite album (pre-2000's). Those songs make me so happy and I love Billie's younger voice. There, my most unpopular opinion.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tubbie Head said:

I freakin' love all of it. It's actually the reason why Kerplunk is my favourite album (pre-2000's). Those songs make me so happy and I love Billie's younger voice. There, my most unpopular opinion.

I like Slappy :P

Haven't heard Sweet Children

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.