Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

5 hours ago, Eric said:

it blows my mind everytime I see threads saying they would kick Ordinary World off REVrad if they could change the order or whatever. Everytime it comes on I feel like it is the perfect way to end the album. Not everything has to be punk rock :lol: 

Yes from the moment I heard revrad I loved the simplistic ending.  It fits well. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 1:08 AM, Justin said:

Longview is probably of my least favourite songs.... come at me

Wow Longview has historically been my all time favourite (although Somewhere Now is now giving it a run for its money). I consider it to be an archetypal Green Day song that really epitomizes a lot of what I love about them. And the bassline is irresistible! 

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of 21CB-era floofy haired Billie. I mean, the 21 Guns video...it was ridiculous :lol: 

Though I initially loved 21 Guns, I really don't listen to it anymore. I hear the opening notes and just quickly change the song. 

Also, I really dislike the WMUWSE video 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jenn. said:

I wasn't a fan of 21CB-era floofy haired Billie. I mean, the 21 Guns video...it was ridiculous :lol: 

I can't help but notice how floofy it is in your ava :lol:. I like it floofy, but not when it's too long. 

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Also, I really dislike the WMUWSE video 

You and me both. Although I dislike the JOS one even more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Really? I can see that. I haven't watched in a long time, but I thought it wasn't bad. Definitely not a video I go out of my way to watch though. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Really? I can see that. I haven't watched in a long time, but I thought it wasn't bad. Definitely not a video I go out of my way to watch though. 

It's cringeworthily melodramatic (like WMUWSE is) and also the characters are soooooo poseurish and hateable. I don't think of the characters in the song as awful poser emo kids and I'm bothered by seeing them portrayed that way :P 

• Like 3

Yes, the JOS video is the most embarrassing thing they've ever put out. I'd rather listen to Nightlife 3 times in a row than watch that video.

I love Nightlife

I don't get the hate for 99 Revolutions.  Yes, the chorus is repetitive and it is most definitely not the best song Billie has ever written.  But, I think it is fun and I find myself singing along whenever it comes on.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

Yes, the JOS video is the most embarrassing thing they've ever put out. I'd rather listen to Nightlife 3 times in a row than watch that video.

I haven't watched it for ages but I just remembered the bit when he cuts his hand with a razor and does a blood hand print on the wall because self harm is sooo cool and cringed.

9 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I love Nightlife

I don't get the hate for 99 Revolutions.  Yes, the chorus is repetitive and it is most definitely not the best song Billie has ever written.  But, I think it is fun and I find myself singing along whenever it comes on.  

I also love Nightlife. 99 Revolutions is OK but as their "rallying cry" songs go it's pretty low down on the list. It's also very out of place on the trilogy so I often don't feel in the mood for it when it comes on while listening to those albums, and for that reason it annoys me that the tour was named after it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I haven't watched it for ages but I just remembered the bit when he cuts his hand with a razor and does a blood hand print on the wall because self harm is sooo cool and cringed.

I also love Nightlife. 99 Revolutions is OK but as their "rallying cry" songs go it's pretty low down on the list. It's also very out of place on the trilogy so I often don't feel in the mood for it when it comes on while listening to those albums, and for that reason it annoys me that the tour was named after it.

I guess I don't view it as a rallying cry. I look at it as just a song.  But yes, I can if it is considered a rallying cry it would be weak.  

14 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I guess I don't view it as a rallying cry. I look at it as just a song.  But yes, I can if it is considered a rallying cry it would be weak.  

I just mean that type of song where the lyrics are somewhat rallying people to come together to challenge the political state of things, eg Know Your Enemy or Revolution Radio or Holiday. It's a song but like any song it's about something, it's about (and it supports) the Occupy movement so I'd put it in that category. I like it but I think they have better songs in that vein.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Yeah, I like it too, especially on Demolicious. It's not the best of their more political songs but I definitely like it, as far as lyrics go I'd definitely take it over Revolution Radio.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

Yeah, I like it too, especially on Demolicious. It's not the best of their more political songs but I definitely like it, as far as lyrics go I'd definitely take it over Revolution Radio.

I don't know that I agree with the lyrics are better than Rev Rad, but I agree with the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Yeah that part was terrible. That video also made it so you couldn't even argue with people when they called them emo :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

I can't help but notice how floofy it is in your ava :lol:. I like it floofy, but not when it's too long. 

Hahaha! You got me there :lol: but that's good floofy. 21CB era floofy kinda looked synthetic at times, it was just too much. Probably to do with it being too long as well, idk.

I also don't like JOS. That video and WMUWSE are horribly cliche and self indulgent, it kinda hurts to watch them, lol. Weird because I love the other vids Sam Bayer directed from AI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Ah, to be living in 2005 again when everyone thought that WAS the cool thing to do :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I wonder if it's unpopular to dislike the Minority video? The "minority" parade is just a bunch of averagely dressed good looking white adolescents all the same age and looking the same with a couple of slightly goth looking girls thrown in, and the CGI balloons of the band are beyond terrible. Only decent part is the band's antics on the float and the piece of trivia (which I hope is true) that apparently Billie was asked not to wear that old man cardigan but insisted on it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

I wonder if it's unpopular to dislike the Minority video? The "minority" parade is just a bunch of averagely dressed good looking white adolescents all the same age and looking the same with a couple of slightly goth looking girls thrown in, and the CGI balloons of the band are beyond terrible. Only decent part is the band's antics on the float and the piece of trivia (which I hope is true) that apparently Billie was asked not to wear that old man cardigan but insisted on it.

I don't really care about that video but I'm not too much of a video person (this reminds me I still haven't seen revrad :P) I like the grandpa cargidan, though. I always enjoy Billie's horrible fashion choices and that story makes it even more amusing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hermione said:

I dislike the Minority video too. Those bloody CGI balloons are appalling! :sick: I think it would be an okay video without the balloons, but they just ruin it.

And the old man cardigan is hilarious. :lol:

I love those balloons just because they're so terrible. And I think the Billie one has a mean Elvis sneer! :lol:

• lizziebix featured this topic