Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I love RevRad! It has some of the most heartfelt and personal lyrics of Green Day. Yeah, some lyrics are cringeworthy, but it's not like that hasn't happened before, haha. I also got the overall excitement over GD back because of RevRad. 

Still, I think it's in the nature of music that everyone connects with it on a different level. Some like it, some hate it, some love it. Why care :D

• Like 3

On 9/14/2015 at 11:36 PM, Lounge Act. said:

I like the entirety 21st Century Breakdown. I doubt anyone else does.

21st Century Breakdown is a masterpiece. 2nd favorite album barley behind American Idiot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think Rev Rad is absolutely brilliant.  They tried some things they haven't done before.  While one particular song is dire, the rest are amazing.  I love that you can hear the classic rock influences throughout the album.  And I feel most of the lyrics are so heartfelt.  I feel like Billie let us into his soul.  The only thing I would change is one particular song, other than that I'm thrilled with the album. 

I agree 100%, I wanted to mention the classic rock influence, which I love.

Personally, listening to Rev Rad just makes me happy, it brings me back to the time when it came out. I enjoy it to the point that I wish they would play the whole thing live (some songs more than others, but still).

• Like 2

I'm glad you guys like it (I do too for the most part). But I think when taking all factors into account (composition, lyrics, mixing, mastering, production, arrangement, concept, execution etc.) it isn't some of their all time best work ever (in my opinion). I'll say it again, I would rank it somewhere in the middle (which is mostly reflected by what music critics and a lot of casual fans of Green day seem think). I don't think it's mediocre, but I don't think it's fantastic. It fits the moment, is definitely an improvement over the trilogy and overall, I can't say I'm really disappointed. However, I know if I'm honest with myself that they can do and have done better...

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Don't really know what I can say because I think RevRad contains Billie's most honest lyrics yet :lol:. Think of Forever Now or Still Breathing, or any of the songs really, it's all his honest feelings about his personal experiences and struggles or outlook on the world. I even like the more light hearted lyrics, like in Youngblood where they're appropriately fun and slightly silly because he's looking back fondly on his young, carefree days falling in love. I actually think it's on another level of honesty, rather than speaking through characters or going for any kind of concept that stuff is all stripped back and it's just him writing songs from a personal and direct place. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but I have no complaints! Still listen to it almost daily.

Really? As @Jake69 said they feel uninspired to me, they're rarely relatable. After a lot of consideration Youngblood's lyrics feel immature rather than light hearted to me. Forever Now's lyrics are poor and Outlaws feels really dragged out

30 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Really? As @Jake69 said they feel uninspired to me, they're rarely relatable. After a lot of consideration Youngblood's lyrics feel immature rather than light hearted to me. Forever Now's lyrics are poor and Outlaws feels really dragged out

I do think the lyrics can be on the simple side. But to me that's not necessarily a bad thing, more complicated or abstract lyrics can be good but so can more simple and direct ones. I relate to Somewhere Now more than I relate to any other Green Day song and I think the album is full of deeply personal (eg "I'm like a son that was raised without a father, I'm like a mother barely keeping it together"), honest (eg "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out..."), reflective/nostaglic (eg Outlaws, Youngblood, Somewhere Now/Forever Now) and relatable (eg Still Breathing, SN/FN again, Troubled Times and the other songs expressing despair with the current state of the world) lyrics. Whether they're good is personal taste but they feel very much inspired to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I do think the lyrics can be on the simple side. But to me that's not necessarily a bad thing, more complicated or abstract lyrics can be good but so can more simple and direct ones. I relate to Somewhere Now more than I relate to any other Green Day song and I think the album is full of deeply personal (eg "I'm like a son that was raised without a father, I'm like a mother barely keeping it together"), honest (eg "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out..."), reflective/nostaglic (eg Outlaws, Youngblood, Somewhere Now/Forever Now) and relatable (eg Still Breathing, SN/FN again, Troubled Times and the other songs expressing despair with the current state of the world) lyrics. Whether they're good is personal taste but they feel very much inspired to me.

The thing that's dissapointing is when Billie tries to be meaningful he comes off as generic, whether the still breathing lyrics are emotional or not, they just fit the same troubled narrative as every other poppy ballad. Idk the lyrics just feel so explicit and too forced. You look at Weezers last album, they haven't clung onto the past they've moved with it, which is what's Green Day need to do rather than just labour at the AI formula, tbf they tried to do that with the trilogy but ended up recording a mid life crisis. Like I said it was just dissapointing for me and many others when I know they've got it in them to write better songs, they're exceptional songwriters, but they've not been able to get out of the "political" rut post AI, with the exception of the trilogy which had the potential to be great but flopped.

15 minutes ago, melissi_unicorn said:

I also really love the variety. If I want something "heavier" and super conceptional, I'll listen to 21CB. If I want a dancy rock banger, I prefer the trilogy etc. RevRad is the honest, personal and kinda nostalgic record. It's not like the old albums disappear with the new one, so there's something for everyone. 

One thing I really love about RevRad: Billie often said AI is about him, but he expressed himself by using characters, kinda distancing himself from it. In RevRad he's using the "I" a lot and of course "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out". I just like that development. It makes us connect more with the songwriter. 

My point throughout is that they wrote some ok to good Green Day songs but they're not really anything special compared to music generally. If I want something heavier I'll listen to Metallica, if I want a dancy rock banger (?) I'd listen to early Chili Peppers or idk any pop punk music. RevRad just seems so confused, some good concepts that weren't really expanded upon

45 minutes ago, melissi_unicorn said:

One thing I really love about RevRad: Billie often said AI is about him, but he expressed himself by using characters, kinda distancing himself from it. In RevRad he's using the "I" a lot and of course "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out". I just like that development. It makes us connect more with the songwriter. 

I love this too

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

My point throughout is that they wrote some ok to good Green Day songs but they're not really anything special compared to music generally. If I want something heavier I'll listen to Metallica, if I want a dancy rock banger (?) I'd listen to early Chili Peppers or idk any pop punk music. RevRad just seems so confused, some good concepts that weren't really expanded upon

Oh, I'm kinda different then, because it all starts with "I wanna listen to Green Day", haha. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

The thing that's dissapointing is when Billie tries to be meaningful he comes off as generic, whether the still breathing lyrics are emotional or not, they just fit the same troubled narrative as every other poppy ballad. Idk the lyrics just feel so explicit and too forced. You look at Weezers last album, they haven't clung onto the past they've moved with it, which is what's Green Day need to do rather than just labour at the AI formula, tbf they tried to do that with the trilogy but ended up recording a mid life crisis. Like I said it was just dissapointing for me and many others when I know they've got it in them to write better songs, they're exceptional songwriters, but they've not been able to get out of the "political" rut post AI, with the exception of the trilogy which had the potential to be great but flopped.

I guess I just view the album totally differently to you. AI is a stadium rock style rock opera with a story told through characters, a concept album. RevRad is simpler songs with a classic rock influence, with no characters, story or concept, just songs written from Billie's POV. So I don't see it as labouring at the AI formula.

And I don't think writing about politics is a rut. It's just natural for a writer to expand outside their personal life to wider issues of society/politics etc as they mature and Billie progressed to that starting with Warning and then more fully through AI and beyond. He writes about what he cares about and politics/what's happening in the world beyond his own front door is part of that. Even on the trilogy where it was largely excluded because the theme of the albums was a mid life crisis/party thing he couldn't resist getting 99 Revolutions in there. It's just something he feels motivated to write about.

• Like 1

Some people here have said that most people said that Rev Rad is mediocre.  Where are you seeing that?  The majority of the critics reviews that I have seen have been favorable, if not glowing.  I don't read social media much, but I just went and looked at Youtube comments and I would say 90% of them were positive.  Everything I have seen is a more positive response to the album.

• Like 2

When I first listened to RevRad back in October, I was disappointed. However, the more I listen to it, the more I take notice of all the lyrics and I realise how honest it is. It's not their best album and I know that they can do better than that, but it is still an excellent album.

I think that like pretty much every other GD album, RevRad has some flaws. But it would still be in my top half of my album rankings list. AI and 21CB are the only albums to me that have next to no flaws (Yeah I said 21CB, come at me bros)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I think that like pretty much every other GD album, RevRad has some flaws. But it would still be in my top half of my album rankings list. AI and 21CB are the only albums to me that have next to no flaws (Yeah I said 21CB, come at me bros)

21cb is an awesome album, it's my #4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Some people here have said that most people said that Rev Rad is mediocre.  Where are you seeing that?  The majority of the critics reviews that I have seen have been favorable, if not glowing.  I don't read social media much, but I just went and looked at Youtube comments and I would say 90% of them were positive.  Everything I have seen is a more positive response to the album.

Obviously if you are going to go to the Green Day YouTube channel people are going to be positive about the band. Why would they subscribe if they don't like their music? But if you look at Twitter or Facebook or Reddit, most of the comments are extremely negative. Mostly saying that it's one of the most predictable album releases of 2016. Green Day is pretty much a joke for a lot of people on the internet.

41 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Obviously if you are going to go to the Green Day YouTube channel people are going to be positive about the band. Why would they subscribe if they don't like their music? But if you look at Twitter or Facebook or Reddit, most of the comments are extremely negative. Mostly saying that it's one of the most predictable album releases of 2016. Green Day is pretty much a joke for a lot of people on the internet.

Sorry but...do you even YouTube comments?  ;) (wow this smiley looks normal once again so I can get back to using it!)

I really really do like revrad but I do think some of the lyrics are quite clichéd. I just can't helt thinking that with songs like Outlaws and SB. But I like both for other reasons :P 

RevRad the song is another story - the lyrics are plain trilogy-style salad, well it's trilogy-like in other aspects too. It's almost a guilty pleasure song, not a guilty pleasure in a nightlife way, but I always catch myself with that melody stuck in my head or singing it. And I don't even think it's very good, it's just too damn catchy to resist! :lol:

11 hours ago, Jake69 said:

That I think is simply not true. I'm sure it's a loud minority rather than a majority. Where is the flood of dislikes on YouTube videos, where is the avalanche of negativ comments on Meteoritic? The reality is the album is generally well received among critics and casual listeners. Only few say it's complete garbage or that Green Day is a joke and those kind of people typically only like few Green Day albums anyway, or don't like Green Day at all...

• Like 2

On 01/05/2017 at 11:53 AM, Maria Gloria said:

I like Know Your Enemy. I mean I'm a bit sick of it because I've heard it so much (not live, just in general) but as a song I actually like it.

I was obsessed with KYE when it came out. I still think it's an awesome song. Simple but powerful, and I just love the guitar sound.

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

I agree with this. And for me, 21CB doesn't have any filler at all. I adore it.

1 hour ago, Jake69 said:

Everything is a joke to the internet :lol: there are literally always comments bringing artists down, no matter who it is. I think it's this need to look like you're not following the crowd when actually nobody cares lol. Apparently being excited about a thing isn't cool but whatever, I'm excited about my favourite band. Sue me!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I was obsessed with KYE when it came out. I still think it's an awesome song. Simple but powerful, and I just love the guitar sound.

Everything is a joke to the internet :lol: there are literally always comments bringing artists down, no matter who it is. I think it's this need to look like you're not following the crowd when actually nobody cares lol. Apparently being excited about a thing isn't cool but whatever, I'm excited about my favourite band. Sue me!

Same! I listened to it on repeat for days when it came out. Pretty sure that's why I'm sick of it now but I still like it.

When RevRad came out a lot of people (including me) weren't that impressed on the first listen, but then it really grew on us. I know it's not the case for people here, but I imagine a lot of the disappointment with casual fans is just because they haven't bothered giving it time to grow on them. Having said that I haven't really seen much negativity? We can't measure how the album has been received by comments on social media anyway. Jenn is totally right that everything is a joke to the internet :lol:

It's not my favourite Green Day album (nothing will ever beat 21CB for me anyway) but definitely in my top half. Sure, there are some clumsy lyrics and a couple of songs I'm not bothered about, but I love the rest and I think there are some of Billie's lyrics in there. Still Breathing is in my top 3 songs of all time.

• Like 1

Oh boy.. Here's something that's going to get the GD purists angry. 

I actually liked ¡UNO!

Like a lot. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

Oh boy.. Here's something that's going to get the GD purists angry. 

I actually liked ¡UNO!

Like a lot. 

I like it too. I like dos better, but uno is a good album

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MilleniumFan said:

Only few say it's complete garbage or that Green Day is a joke and those kind of people typically only like few Green Day albums anyway, or don't like Green Day at all...

I could care less if people like Green Day or not, but I love laughing at a good portion of these people. I think we all know who I'm talking about. The "true punks" who always talk about how Green Day sold out and that American Idiot is just pop which automatically makes it bad or something. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

I could care less if people like Green Day or not, but I love laughing at a good portion of these people. I think we all know who I'm talking about. The "true punks" who always talk about how Green Day sold out and that American Idiot is just pop which automatically makes it bad or something. 

The Great Saiyaman has spoken:ga:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

The Great Saiyaman has spoken:ga:

THE GREAT SAIYAMAN HAS COME TO SAVE THE INTERNET FROM THE EVILS OF BULLSH*T!

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic