Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

13 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I think that point is more valid with Dookie tbh. All the songs are similar sounding. When I first heard Dookie I honestly didn't think much of it because I had heard AI and 21CB before Dookie so I was expecting epic sounding songs. Obviously I love it now but a lot of the songs are the same kind of song. The point is quite valid with parts of Warning though

I'm not saying the trilogy isn't overproduced but it didn't really bother me that much. At least compared to the production of their pre-Dookie stuff. I think people are more forgiving of the problems with these albums because they were their first albums and while after 8 albums, they shouldn't be making such mistakes with lyrics or production but I'd prefer to listen to the trilogy than Kerplunk or 39/Smooth

Yeah, Dookie is more monotonous compared to Nimrod and most other post-Dookie records, but at the time it felt fresh and refined. I prefer to judge albums in their historical context and for that reason Dookie's sonical uniformity is more a virtue than a sin like it was with the trilogy. It was sonical progress in a good way. With the trilogy, everything felt like an anachronistic regression, a throwback to a halcyon past they couldn't pull off properly, largely due to Billie's condition at the time. That's one of my biggest qualms with the trilogy and the whole concept behind it, the need to bring back 1992 in all its facets, sonically, lyrically, live etcetera. They tried to reanimate an entire era that had vanished. Their voices and playing had matured and harkening back to that time was just counter-intuitive. Respecting the past and remembering where you come from is good, indulging in nostalgia however leads to a failed reanimation of an incarnation that is bound to end up with disappointment and disillusion. Blink's California is another example of a misguided attempt of a band to revive their early years in all its glory, only to fall flat. The result feels dishonest and forced.

If you prefer the trilogy over their Lookout records, then I understand that. I also prefer Tré! and Uno! (the latter to a certain extent) over 39/Smooth. I think Kerplunk was a vast improvement over their first compilation studio album and showcased a greater diversity with Christie Road, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield and No One Knows. Yet that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 5:09 AM, tacobellfan456 said:

Something I've never seen anybody say ever: I like the My Generation cover. One time I had it on repeat for some reason during a road trip and I fell in love with it. 

I thought people liked it (especially "Heineken, fuck that shit!" which I admit is a highlight). I dislike it, definitely the worst cover they've done and possibly the worst thing they've recorded. Not sure if that's popular or unpopular now!

42 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I thought people liked it (especially "Heineken, fuck that shit!" which I admit is a highlight). I dislike it, definitely the worst cover they've done and possibly the worst thing they've recorded. Not sure if that's popular or unpopular now!

I don't hate it but I don't think it's anything special. The Sweet Children EP is imo the worst part of GD's discography. Sweet Children is meh, Strangeland is just noise, Best Thing in Town is generic and sounds the same as Strangeland and My Generation is meh as well

7 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I don't hate it but I don't think it's anything special. The Sweet Children EP is imo the worst part of GD's discography. Sweet Children is meh, Strangeland is just noise, Best Thing in Town is generic and sounds the same as Strangeland and My Generation is meh as well

Yeah I mean I take into account it's obviously really early songs that they just recorded in a random studio on the spur of the moment because they happened to get the chance to get something recorded. And I kind of enjoy the novelty of hearing that early material. But it's still the worst :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

2 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah I mean I take into account it's obviously really early songs that they just recorded in a random studio on the spur of the moment because they happened to get the chance to get something recorded. And I kind of enjoy the novelty of hearing that early material. But it's still the worst :P

What do you mean the worst?! It's clearly the highlight of their career. 4 iconic songs within 8 groundbreaking minutes! :ermm:

I hated Kerplunk for a long time cause of the Sweet Children inclusion as I didn't know it was a separate EP for a long time however in the days of mp3 and digital I've deleted it off of Kerplunk 

1 hour ago, MysticManiac said:

It's definitely the weakest part of Kerplunk, but I consider the inclusion more fanservice than anything else. Still, Sweet Children should just have been available as a separate EP.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

In context, it's an average cover, definitely not the stuff they pulled off with Working Class Hero and A Quick One, but it's fun to have it on the record and in my opinion it's the right record to put it on (coincidentally, My Generation was off the the Who's first 1963 record, so it wasn't their best either, at least not their grand rock opera style they started to write with A Quick One, the closing song of their eponymous second record). It also shows the influence the Who had in their early days and how they would inspire them to write opera's in the vein of Tommy and Quadrophenia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

I like the My Generation cover but I agree about the rest of that EP. I don't hate the songs but the production is so bad it's just a lot of fuzzy guitar and you can occasionally hear Billie's voice through the noise :lol: 

Dirty Rotten Bastards has zero cohesiveness. It's a couple tiny songs strung together poorly. I compare to something like Forever Now (which flows brilliantly) and I don't even get how they thought that was a good multi-part song to begin with.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Dirty Rotten Bastards has zero cohesiveness. It's a couple tiny songs strung together poorly. I compare to something like Forever Now (which flows brilliantly) and I don't even get how they thought that was a good multi-part song to begin with.

The "I got the urge to binge and surge" part is so fun, though. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Forever Now is exactly how you described DRB (which is completly wrong) It is so shitty put together. It's a long song on the album just for sake of having a long song but also sounds like a filler song with no imagination, and since Billie had no ideas when writing it he just included Somewhere Now in it, that's already a shitty song on it's own. "I want to start a revolution I want to hear it on my radio" has to be the most cringiest lyrics ever. Ok we get it, the name of the album is Revolution Radio. Now Dirty Rotten Bastards is the best long song they wrote, it's fun, catchy, has great guitar solo, it's just perfect.

52 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Aw, I like it! It is a bit haphazard but I think it works. Forever Now is a better song but Dirty Rotten Bastards is one of the few Trilogy songs that I think sounds like they genuinely had fun with it.

I get bored of Forever Now sometimes near the end, I never feel that way when I'm listening to Dirty Rotten Bastards.

1 hour ago, stories and songs said:

I like the song but as far as GD multi-part songs go, it's pretty meh. Forever Now works a lot better. The songs actually connect. Dirty Rotten Bastard has a weird opening of singing "Yeah", then a good catchy drinking song (at least that's what it sounds like to me), then a complete clusterfuck, then the drinking song part but slower and then finishes with 1 minute of Billie singing "We're carried away" for some reason

What's crazy is that this is considered the best trilogy song but the worst GD multi-part song. That says a lot about what people think of the trilogy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I don't know what makes them think they have to have a incredibly long song on every album. Just cause all albums since AI had one? Reason #8000 Revolution Radio plays it way to safe.

I listened to it like 10 times, but what long song is there on 21st Century Letdown?

1 minute ago, Jake69 said:

21CB and American eulogy. They might not be as long as the others but they're multi part songs.

A ok I remember American Eulogy, the only good song from that album (because of Mike's part). 21CB ew :sick: that's such a horrible song.

I like both DRB and Forever Now. DRB is just a fun song to me. I like the "drinking song" aspect of it at the beginning too. I usually turn it off at the end though because it gets too repetitious. I think he got "carried away" and couldn't think of anything else to say. Forever Now is a good song because it's so personal. I do agree that it seems like ever since AI they feel like they need to put long songs on every album and I don't necessarily think it's needed. Some of their best songs are shorter and leave me wishing for more. Then I go back and listen to it again. 

9 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I listened to it like 10 times, but what long song is there on 21st Century Letdown?

If you've only listened to it 10 times, then you haven't given the album a proper chance

Just now, MysticManiac said:

If you've only listened to it 10 times, then you haven't given the album a proper chance

10 was more than enough, trust me.

• Like 1

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

10 was more than enough, trust me.

When was the last time you listened to it?

Just now, MysticManiac said:

When was the last time you listened to it?

Probably during the time Tomnomnom made the GDC parody songs. That's like a year ago.

9 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

A ok I remember American Eulogy, the only good song from that album (because of Mike's part). 21CB ew :sick: that's such a horrible song.

Sorry - do even like this band? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tomcat20 said:

Sorry - do even like this band? 

No, I just joined cause I thought this was Nickelback community. Stupid april fools jokes. :mad:

• Like 3

Forever Now is one of the few tracks I love on Rev Rad, but like a couple people have said, I am pretty surprised they decided to make a lengthier song...again. One could say they played it safe, another could say that they just enjoy doing that. Either way, it's predictable and the idea of having a multidimensional track is a bit stale now. But that's just my opinion.

• lizziebix featured this topic