Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

21 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I love you.  :wub:  And I agree 100%

I'd be pretty happy if they didn't perform any Insomniac songs for any shows I ever attend :lol:

21 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

Agreed. I like Brain Stew and Walking Contradiction, but I don't enjoy the album anywhere near as much as I enjoy the other albums. 

Walking Contradiction is my favourite song on Insomniac because I actually understand what he's singing. It still doesn't rank in my top 30-50 songs though :ermm:

What are you two guys' favourite album?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Sorry, don't see it, never have and never will.  I will always think of Insomniac as GD's mediocre album.  I think they have grown so much, musically and lyrically since then.  So, you won't convince me otherwise babe and I won't convince you.

I think there's people who like the punk side of Green Day, and others who like the arena rock side. As a fan of lots of different punk bands, Insomniac sticks out to me as a great punk record from Green Day.

• Like 3

Yep, Insomniac to me is one of the greatest punk albums ever made, it could easily stand up to any traditionally considered classics.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I think there's people who like the punk side of Green Day, and others who like the arena rock side. As a fan of lots of different punk bands, Insomniac sticks out to me as a great punk record from Green Day.

I agree, it is a very good punk album.  However, one of the reasons I love this band is that they are always changing things up a bit, trying something just a bit different than they have done before.  I just think that Insomniac is the only album where they did not do that.  They purposely wanted to create a punk album, and that is great.  I just enjoy something more than the standard 3 chord power chord songs for an entire album.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I agree, it is a very good punk album.  However, one of the reasons I love this band is that they are always changing things up a bit, trying something just a bit different than they have done before.  I just think that Insomniac is the only album where they did not do that.  They purposely wanted to create a punk album, and that is great.  I just enjoy something more than the standard 3 chord power chord songs for an entire album.   

Panic Song

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Panic Song

Correct it is a 2 chord song

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think it's different in that it is a standard punk album, and an angry one. The previous three all have poppier/softer stuff on them, vary more and are much less aggressive than the average punk album. Insomniac is the only Green Day album where they were in a really pissed off mood and wanted to show it, it was like "we'll show you how punk we can be". There's no other Green Day album that sounds like it and I value that in itself.

Plus (it being Green Day) there is some different stuff on there, Panic Song as @DookieLukie mentions, and the almost heavy metal thing they did with Brain Stew. The pace is kept up throughout but there's super fast songs and more melodic ones, angry ones, depressed ones, sarcastic ones, and lots of different subjects covered. I find it a really interesting and awesome album.

Yes, I still disagree.  I don't think it is shows them pissed and really showing it, I think is a nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, I'm punk.  It is just not my favorite album of theirs.  I think it is their weakest effort, by far and will always think that

• Like 1

I've grown to love Insomniac (did not love it at first) but I think if I were a fan during the 90s when it came out I might have been disappointed with it. It really doesn't hold a candle to Dookie :P 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

I've grown to love Insomniac (did not love it at first) but I think if I were a fan during the 90s when it came out I might have been disappointed with it. It really doesn't hold a candle to Dookie :P 

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

201504_1156_eaged.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Yes, I still disagree.  I don't think it is shows them pissed and really showing it, I think is a nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, I'm punk.  It is just not my favorite album of theirs.  I think it is their weakest effort, by far and will always think that

I think it's both those things :lol:. If you watch/read interviews from around that time (or even just newer ones where they talk about that time) they really were deeply affected by their huge lifestyle changes and being "cast out" by the community they loved, and you can see how genuinely pissed off Billie was performing those songs. It was a snarky "nyah nyah we're punk" response (along with some pretty dark stuff in those lyrics) but I do feel it was a genuine response.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

s4p6pg.png

And more importantly 

wvqtdt.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

The two attitudes aren't mutually exclusive, I see it as them saying "you want punk? Fine, LOOK AT US BEING SO FUCKING PUNK, HAPPY NOW?". It's as genuine as Boredom.

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

yes Insomniac is very punk album but dookie american idiot or all other are my favourites.I dont want to say it is a bad album but I like  the others more

20 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Jimmy loves Insomniac and Judi doesn't 

20 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

Insomniac.

Well, everybody have their own favourites but Insomniac is actually a good album. At first I couldn't get into but after having my music taste broadened I really like the more heavier sound of it and talking about the album overall many songs are Dookie styled but are introspective too. I've also seen at times some complaining about the 'mumbling' kind of vocals in Insomniac, I'd say they are still better. My favourite is AI and next comes Dookie.

EDIT: AI> Revolution Radio> Dookie

• Like 2

Insomniac is a good album (I don't dislike any GD album), but it isn't one of my favourites...... I prefer to listen other GD albums.

My top 5 albums are American Idiot, Dookie, Nimrod, Revolution Radio and 21st Century Breakdown/Warning (I couldn't decide between these two albums).

• Like 1

OK, lets see if I can explain the way I see it.  In the early 90's, way back when I was young, grunge was really popular.  The music tended to be heavy and the lyrics angry.  It was almost like living in a constant state of fuck the universe.  Kurt Cobain was freakin' God, he was angry, he was cool, he was hot.  Then he committed suicide and that sent so many people into a tailspin.  Around the same time, a little album named Dookie came out.   These guys were young and dorky, but kind of cute, just like everyone else.  The album was upbeat and they weren't talking about how angry they were, they were talking about how they were so lonely they jerked off, how they were scared about moving out of their parents house, they were scared because they were falling in love for the first time.  They were just like the rest of us.  It was a relief to know that you weren't alone.  You started to feel good about yourself again.  Then they are coming out with their next album and you are so anxious to hear it.  This time it is angry and you can't sleep, your teeth are falling out, you're having panic attacks.  What the hell happened to my sweet, dorky boys????  It came off as them trying to be something they were not, or Dookie was something they were not.  

Most of you are looking at it as an album.  A really good punk album.  To me, it is different.  Many of you are emotional about AI, how that helped you when you were young.  Dookie is similar for me and Insomniac just felt like a let down.

OK, soliloquy over.

@WhiteTim  I still love you babe 

• Like 4

I understand you point, Scattered, and by the way, love your description about how you felt about Dookie. But I think your own argument refutes the idea that they weren't trying something different with that album. They were.

It's an album that's different that what they done before, in mood (as you said, it's more angrier and dark) and also in music (it's faster, it has some experimentations in panic song, brain stew). And I don't think that it was forced at all. It's perfectly fine that someone don't like the vibe, the mood of Isomniac. But I can't agree that they were trying to be something they were not. I think the album is an honest expression of all the things they were living at that time, with the drugs, little children waking them up all night, rejection after the sucess of dookie, stress and tiredness after they became so huge and all the new obligations that come along.

As I see it, in Insomniac they experiment and change things, and try different things way more than, for instance, RevRad, which is basically a mix of all the styles Green Day develop throughout their career.

Ps: Forgive me if my english is not that good, i'm from Brazil.

Edited by henrybr
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

OK, lets see if I can explain the way I see it.  In the early 90's, way back when I was young, grunge was really popular.  The music tended to be heavy and the lyrics angry.  It was almost like living in a constant state of fuck the universe.  Kurt Cobain was freakin' God, he was angry, he was cool, he was hot.  Then he committed suicide and that sent so many people into a tailspin.  Around the same time, a little album named Dookie came out.   These guys were young and dorky, but kind of cute, just like everyone else.  The album was upbeat and they weren't talking about how angry they were, they were talking about how they were so lonely they jerked off, how they were scared about moving out of their parents house, they were scared because they were falling in love for the first time.  They were just like the rest of us.  It was a relief to know that you weren't alone.  You started to feel good about yourself again.  Then they are coming out with their next album and you are so anxious to hear it.  This time it is angry and you can't sleep, your teeth are falling out, you're having panic attacks.  What the hell happened to my sweet, dorky boys????  It came off as them trying to be something they were not, or Dookie was something they were not.  

Most of you are looking at it as an album.  A really good punk album.  To me, it is different.  Many of you are emotional about AI, how that helped you when you were young.  Dookie is similar for me and Insomniac just felt like a let down.

OK, soliloquy over.

@WhiteTim  I still love you babe 

Neither album was something they were not, they just went through changes as people. When they wrote Dookie they were single guys living in a shitty basement and hanging out with the local punks. When they wrote Insomniac their lives had completely changed, married, kids on the way, suddenly well off and famous, and rejected by the friends and local scene they'd loved with all their hearts which they felt extremely sad and bitter about. I get that if you heard Dookie and wanted more it wouldn't have been what you were hoping for, but they went through massive life changes so it's natural that it was reflected in their music.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Neither album was something they were not, they just went through changes as people. When they wrote Dookie they were single guys living in a shitty basement and hanging out with the local punks. When they wrote Insomniac their lives had completely changed, married, kids on the way, suddenly well off and famous, and rejected by the friends and local scene they'd loved with all their hearts which they felt extremely sad and bitter about. I get that if you heard Dookie and wanted more it wouldn't have been what you were hoping for, but they went through massive life changes so it's natural that it was reflected in their music.

Can we just agree to disagree now??  I"m not going to feel the way you do and I don't expect you to feel the way I do.  I was really just trying to explain that things are different if you are viewing them in current time.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I've said this before and will say it again. Some things just have to come at the right time for you to appreciate them. I discovered Insomniac in my early teens. I could relate to the anger and confusion it is about and I still love it because it still resonates with me on some level. I might not like it the way I do if I first listened to it now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henrybr said:

I understand you point, Scattered, and by the way, love your description about how you felt about Dookie. But I think your own argument refutes the idea that they weren't trying something different with that album. They were.

It's an album that's different that what they done before, in mood (as you said, it's more angrier and dark) and also in music (it's faster, it has some experimentations in panic song, brain stew). And I don't think that it was forced at all. It's perfectly fine that someone don't like the vibe, the mood of Isomniac. But I can't agree that they were trying to be something they were not. I think the album is an honest expression of all the things they were living at that time, with the drugs, little children waking them up all night, rejection after the sucess of dookie, stress and tiredness after they became so huge and all the new obligations that come along.

As I see it, in Insomniac they experiment and change things, and try different things way more than, for instance, RevRad, which is basically a mix of all the styles Green Day develop throughout their career.

Ps: Forgive me if my english is not that good, i'm from Brazil.

Your english is fine.  However, I never said that it was not an expression of where they were in their life.  I have to 100% disagree with you.  I don't feel there was any experimentation with this album.  What do you think is so experimental about Panic Song and Brain STew???  Other than the intro to Panic Song, it is just a 2 chord power chord song.  FYI, Panic Song is one of my favorites on Insomniac.  Brain Stew is the same 3 chords over and over again and a pretty slow BPM for GD.  The album as a whole really isn't any faster than what they have done in the past.  

Also, I never said they were being something they were not, I said it gave teh impression that they were being something they were not.  Or that Dookie was something they were not.  Please remember, you are hearing the album years after it came out.  When I first heard it, there was no Nimrod, Warning, AI, etc.  I was just getting to know them.   Perceptions are very different if you are looking at it as it happens then if you are looking at it years later.  

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I've said this before and will say it again. Some things just have to come at the right time for you to appreciate them. I discovered Insomniac in my early teens. I could relate to the anger and confusion it is about and I still love it because it still resonates with me on some level. I might not like it the way I do if I first listened to it now. 

You are so wise beyond your years my dear.

• Like 1

I feel I should point out that my parents discovered them via Dookie and still love Insomniac :P

Plus because of that I've always known all their stuff and have never discovered any of it per se.

• lizziebix featured this topic