Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Having Jason and the others isn't strictly necessary for a great show (my parents first saw them on the Nimrod tour and were shocked at how 3 people could put on such an incredible gig), but they are necessary for how they do shows these days and I have no problem with any of them.

16 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Thank goodness it is no insomniac

Q5ytZW0.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

... while Jason plays like a nice, gentle guy who just so happens to be in a punk band. 

Hahaha, that's exactly what I think sometimes, especially when I watch photos or videos of the shows. I really like Jason, but sometimes he just seems a bit lost in all the craziness on stage :lol: Like he accidentally stumbled on stage and asks himself "Where the hell am I?" Sometimes when I see them live, I don't even notice Jason (visually), and when Billie introduces the band I'm like "Oh, there he is." But I also think he's very important for the live shows, I love Billie's interacting and wouldn't want to miss it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Libertine Angel said:

Silly me, the world does need another album of nothing but 3 chord power chords and unintelligible vocals.  There just isn't enough of those in the world.

5 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Insomniac is my least favourite album :ermm: By a mile.

I love you.  :wub:  And I agree 100%

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Insomniac is my least favourite album :ermm: By a mile.

Agreed. I like Brain Stew and Walking Contradiction, but I don't enjoy the album anywhere near as much as I enjoy the other albums. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

Agreed. I like Brain Stew and Walking Contradiction, but I don't enjoy the album anywhere near as much as I enjoy the other albums. 

I don't feel so alone anymore.  

• Like 1

Jason performs much better in Pinhead Gunpowder for some reason. Anyone heard him playing in his other bands and can compare to his performance in Green Day?

Edited by T@l
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't think the world needs another Insomniac but I consider it a great album and I'm very glad they've done such a punk record. It's just awesome that the same band who did Jaded is the same band that recorded songs like Last Night On Earth or Ordinary World. What makes me like Green Day is that they their records have some variety. There's Insomniac, there is Warning and there's 21CB and all the albums in between and what makes their discography so awesome is watching this evolution. The punk album just had to happen.

Another example of you showing that you are wise beyond your years.  Excellent post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrybr said:

For me, Insomniac is perfect. I like all the songs, and think it's a great album. It's really surprising find out that many people don't like it.

I love it too but I get it's not eveyone's cup of tea. It's punkier than anything else they've done, it's not exactly musically inovative and the vocals are hardly audible. It's only good when you're a punk fan. It's one of my favorite albums of all time and it is a great one - just less universally likeable compared to other GD albums. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I love it too but I get it's not eveyone's cup of tea. It's punkier than anything else they've done, it's not exactly musically inovative and the vocals are hardly audible. It's only good when you're a punk fan. It's one of my favorite albums of all time and it is a great one - just less universally likeable compared to other GD albums. 

I know this comes up alot, but people always seem to mistake my comments for Insomniac as that I dislike it.  I don't, I do like it, just not as much as the other GD albums (except for 1039).   And it really doesn't have to do with the music as much as the execution.  As you said before, one of the reasons many of us love this band is because they are always willing to take chances, to try something outside the box.  It may not be something big, but it is there.  For me, that makes them never go stale.  Insomniac is the only album where they did not do that.  It is the same 3 chord power chords songs with inaudible vocals.  All the songs are the same style.  I learned to play pretty much every song on Insomniac is less than an hour.  While I enjoy many of the songs on Insomniac, I get bored listening to the same thing over and over again.  If they made the album differently, with mixing those songs on other albums, I probably would love them.       

• Like 1

reading comments about Insomniac, you guys are right. it's not something that's 'outside the box', and it's funny because people who are neutral fans are like "ugh i miss their old shit" are the same people that say "fucken same 3 chord progression", blah blah.

ummmm.. that WAS their old shit. their new shit has moved away from just your standard 3 chord progression.
not sure if i made sense then, but just thinking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, belinda jane said:

reading comments about Insomniac, you guys are right. it's not something that's 'outside the box', and it's funny because people who are neutral fans are like "ugh i miss their old shit" are the same people that say "fucken same 3 chord progression", blah blah.

ummmm.. that WAS their old shit. their new shit has moved away from just your standard 3 chord progression.
not sure if i made sense then, but just thinking.

No, you make perfect sense.   

Insomniac is currently my favorite album, tied with Kerplunk. But I don't want "Another Insomniac", it'll end up with forced lyrics, boring music* and people will be like "Billie is trying too much" all over again. No thank you.
* Insomniac has poor guitar work, but the bass and drums are what really drive this album. In my opinion, this album has the best bass work they've even done, American Idiot and Kerplunk have the best drum work, anything from Nimrod and further have great guitar work.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Peacemaker567 said:

Green Day fans will never agree on a best album

can you imagine if we did? what a boring world.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Silly me, the world does need another album of nothing but 3 chord power chords and unintelligible vocals.  There just isn't enough of those in the world.

The world does need another one as amazing as Insomniac :P Sure, there are plenty of them out there, but why does that matter if some are a hundred times better than the average? Just ignore the fuckloads of mediocre stuff, it doesn't affec the rest of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Libertine Angel said:

The world does need another one as amazing as Insomniac :P Sure, there are plenty of them out there, but why does that matter if some are a hundred times better than the average? Just ignore the fuckloads of mediocre stuff, it doesn't affec the rest of it.

That would be true if I thought Insomniac was 100 X better then what is out there.  Alas, it is not. 

1 minute ago, Scattered Wreck said:

That would be true if I thought Insomniac was 100 X better then what is out there.  Alas, it is not. 

Sure it is, listen to that bass work, and the lyrics too. Utter genius.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

Sure it is, listen to that bass work, and the lyrics too. Utter genius.

Sorry, don't see it, never have and never will.  I will always think of Insomniac as GD's mediocre album.  I think they have grown so much, musically and lyrically since then.  So, you won't convince me otherwise babe and I won't convince you.

• lizziebix featured this topic