Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

5 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

Agreed, like I said when it first came out a song of personal struggles doesn't have to be all dramatic and full of recovery clichés, as far as punk songs in the same vein Stiff Little Fingers did a much better one two years ago:

This is a decent pick to compare to Still Breathing and makes me think the varying opinions are about how the song affects listeners emotionally. Because whilst I enjoy this song musically, it doesn't do anything for me otherwise because it doesn't feel at all passionate. Billie screams Still Breathing and the music reflects that, but whilst the lyrics to this may be more complex, I don't notice them because Jake Burns is singing flatly to a tune that doesn't convey much emotion. It feels like another punk song, not a recovery anthem. But to some people Still Breathing comes across as dramatic and they prefer something that's less so.

• Like 2

I'm playing Drama Queen because this thread reminded me it exists and I just have to say it's pretty disturbing and I'm a bad singer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I'm playing Drama Queen because this thread reminded me it exists and I just have to say it's pretty disturbing and I'm a bad singer. 

This thread - its pretty tame in here;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kaddi. said:

I think Drama Queen is quite nice, but I don't like that line either. :lol: It's not because I don't like talking about periods or anything (I do, because it's something completely natural), I just think it sounds very strange in that context and I wish Billie would have phrased it differently.

I thought the line was a bit... odd the first few times I listened to it, but I was never uncomfortable about it. I appreciate it even more knowing it makes certain kinds of men squirmy :D 

14 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Really? That line just sounds weird to me :lol: It's not a bad song in fact- I like the melody but I've never got over how cringy the chorus is.

Drama Queen is great. It is meant to weird you out a little I think. And yeah, the bleeding line took some getting used to - it's grown on me since I realized it's ambiguous so not actually about periods.

Frankly, it's kind of funny how many times we've discussed this line on here considering that Red Tide is all about periods and no one seems to mind. :P

Wait, it isn't? Then what does that line mean? :lol: And I've gotta admit I've never really analysed the Tubbies' songs for much meaning, so it's news to me about Red Tide hahaha. I just enjoy that record for what it is on the surface, but I haven't listened to it properly in years and might take a different approach to it now.

• Like 2

Men have it easy.  No watermelon coming out of my nether regions or blood every 28 days or so.  Give it up to the women!  There should be a national women's day. 

• Like 1

Do you know the song is not talking about period right. It's about being old enough to be hurt by the world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steven Seagull said:

Do you know the song is not talking about period right. It's about being old enough to be hurt by the world.

It's not about periods, but it does deliberately bring starting periods to mind as a metaphor for being old enough to be hurt by the world or exploited by the world.

I think Red Tide is more about PMS/the effect of hormones during a period than the "red tide" itself. I dig that they'll happily write about periods and even managed to make a song about periods sexy, don't know how popular/unpopular that is :lol: 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hermione said:

I do kind of agree with the Troubled Times complaint though. It's not so much that he just says "we live in troubled times", but that afterwards there's this long gap with just an "ahh-ahh" before he repeats it which really emphasizes the fact that it's all he says :lol: 

But isn't Troubled Times exactly about being speechless? About the fact that you just can't put into words what happened in Paris - and in Europe right now, in general? The horrible attacks in Paris might have inspired Billie to write this, but to me, the song is much more. I feel that it's about the whole continent falling apart, with terrorism turning us against each other, the rise of right-wing powers and talking about putting borders back up because we start to distrust each other.

And we all know what happened the last time when Europe started to fall apart, but obviously we didn't learn anything ("What part of history we've learned, when it's repeated?"). What's happening right now on this continent is scaring the hell out of me and I'm angry and helpless at the same time. Maybe I'm reading way too much out of this song because I'm sitting right in the middle of this conflict around me, but I think the song captures the mixed feelings and the dark future this continent might be facing in the future perfectly, even without many words. It feels dark, depressing and threatening and makes me even more uncomfortable when I listen to it and think about the Europe I used to love and that's standing at the edge (of the world) right now...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

But isn't Troubled Times exactly about being speechless? About the fact that you just can't put into words what happened in Paris - and in Europe right now, in general? The horrible attacks in Paris might have inspired Billie to write this, but to me, the song is much more. I feel that it's about the whole continent falling apart, with terrorism turning us against each other, the rise of right-wing powers and talking about putting borders back up because we start to distrust each other.

And we all know what happened the last time when Europe started to fall apart, but obviously we didn't learn anything ("What part of history we've learned, when it's repeated?"). What's happening right now on this continent is scaring the hell out of me and I'm angry and helpless at the same time. Maybe I'm reading way too much out of this song because I'm sitting right in the middle of this conflict around me, but I think the song captures the mixed feelings and the dark future this continent might be facing in the future perfectly, even without many words. It feels dark, depressing and threatening and makes me even more uncomfortable when I listen to it and think about the Europe I used to love and that's standing at the edge (of the world) right now...

This does all make total sense. But it still has the effect of making me think "and...?" when I listen to the chorus and there's that gap with random noise making, even if it is appropriate and a deliberate comment about how there's nothing else to say/no answer to give I can't help it :lol:. I do otherwise love the song and agree with your assessment of it though.

10 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I thought the line was a bit... odd the first few times I listened to it, but I was never uncomfortable about it. I appreciate it even more knowing it makes certain kinds of men squirmy :D 

Wait, it isn't? Then what does that line mean? :lol: And I've gotta admit I've never really analysed the Tubbies' songs for much meaning, so it's news to me about Red Tide hahaha. I just enjoy that record for what it is on the surface, but I haven't listened to it properly in years and might take a different approach to it now.

It's a mathaphor for being old enough to face the world on your own and having to deal with being hurt.

52 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think Red Tide is more about PMS/the effect of hormones during a period than the "red tide" itself. I dig that they'll happily write about periods and even managed to make a song about periods sexy, don't know how popular/unpopular that is :lol: 

I agree. I think it's really cool coming from a guy. And it's very relatable. 

• Like 2

On 21/10/2016 at 6:00 PM, Hermione said:

Disagree there as I don't find it blandly pop. I find it interestingly pop :P. It's the most full on pop they've done so it feels like something new from them.

I'm not sure I can tell much difference between the two :P It's definitely something new, but that doesn't automatically help it if the something isn't as good as what they normally do :P

On 21/10/2016 at 6:51 PM, Scattered Wreck said:

Unpopular opinion, just because it is pop doesn't mean it is bad.  Just because it is punk, doesn't mean it is good

I know, there's plenty of shit punk about (see: Towers Of London), but Still Breathing feels like Billie's sat down and said "let's make a recovery song that'll make a big emotional single" instead of writing it naturally.

23 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

This is a decent pick to compare to Still Breathing and makes me think the varying opinions are about how the song affects listeners emotionally. Because whilst I enjoy this song musically, it doesn't do anything for me otherwise because it doesn't feel at all passionate. Billie screams Still Breathing and the music reflects that, but whilst the lyrics to this may be more complex, I don't notice them because Jake Burns is singing flatly to a tune that doesn't convey much emotion. It feels like another punk song, not a recovery anthem. But to some people Still Breathing comes across as dramatic and they prefer something that's less so.

I'm not sure entirely how you can say Billie's screaming Still Breathing while Jake isn't, listen to that actual scream before every chorus, My Dark Places sounds a hundred times more passionate than Still Breathing to me. Try this version:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I'm not sure entirely how you can say Billie's screaming Still Breathing while Jake isn't, listen to that actual scream before every chorus, My Dark Places sounds a hundred times more passionate than Still Breathing to me. Try this version:

It still sounds more angry than emotional to me and it doesn't change the music not reflecting the emotion of the lyrics unlike Still Breathing. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :P 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

It still sounds more angry than emotional to me and it doesn't change the music not reflecting the emotion of the lyrics unlike Still Breathing. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :P 

That's just 'cause Jake's an angrier person :P

14 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

It's a mathaphor for being old enough to face the world on your own and having to deal with being hurt.

Oh! That's interesting and does make more sense. Something tells me Billie was perfectly aware of how it could be misinterpreted though, and was obviously okay with that :lol:

• Like 2

I have great respect and admiration for Billie, but I think his acting in "Like Sunday, Like Rain" was kind of awful and I'm a little afraid to watch "Ordinary World", even though I haven't really heard anything negative about it yet. I remember in an interview from the early or mid 90s he said that most musicians that try to act are terrible (or something like that) and he used Vanilla Ice as a spot-on example. I secretly (or not so secretly, now) wish he would have followed his own advice and stuck with music - something he is 100% great at doing. My intention is not to seem mean or judgmental... It's just an opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, moonj17 said:

I have great respect and admiration for Billie, but I think his acting in "Like Sunday, Like Rain" was kind of awful and I'm a little afraid to watch "Ordinary World", even though I haven't really heard anything negative about it yet. I remember in an interview from the early or mid 90s he said that most musicians that try to act are terrible (or something like that) and he used Vanilla Ice as a spot-on example. I secretly (or not so secretly, now) wish he would have followed his own advice and stuck with music - something he is 100% great at doing. My intention is not to seem mean or judgmental... It's just an opinion.

I don't think he's very good at acting either. But it's fun to watch him regardless, plus he's definitely improving at it, and most importantly it seems like he really enjoys it and gets a lot out of it. However good or bad he is I can't see challenging himself with something new that he enjoys as a bad thing, better that he goes for an opportunity to expand his experience as a performer/person than sits it out just in case he isn't perfect at it.

27 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think he's very good at acting either. But it's fun to watch him regardless, plus he's definitely improving at it, and most importantly it seems like he really enjoys it and gets a lot out of it. However good or bad he is I can't see challenging himself with something new that he enjoys as a bad thing, better that he goes for an opportunity to expand his experience as a performer/person than sits it out just in case he isn't perfect at it.

I appreciate your insight, and you're right, challenging yourself with something you enjoy is never a bad thing. That holds true for everyone - no one is good at everything they do. Now I feel badly for criticizing him! 

6 minutes ago, moonj17 said:

I appreciate your insight, and you're right, challenging yourself with something you enjoy is never a bad thing. That holds true for everyone - no one is good at everything they do. Now I feel badly for criticizing him! 

He is actually quite good in Ordinary World.  The film is very light and he does a wonderful job of making Perry relatable.  I actually have to disagree with you on his acting in Like Sunday Like Rain.  I agree that his delivery needed work, but he did a great job at facial expressions and gestures and that is harder than delivery.  His delivery was very good in Ordinary World, probably because it was a much lighter film with alot of comedic elements.  He was also pretty good in Haunted, which is also more of a comedic role.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

He is actually quite good in Ordinary World.  The film is very light and he does a wonderful job of making Perry relatable.  I actually have to disagree with you on his acting in Like Sunday Like Rain.  I agree that his delivery needed work, but he did a great job at facial expressions and gestures and that is harder than delivery.  His delivery was very good in Ordinary World, probably because it was a much lighter film with alot of comedic elements.  He was also pretty good in Haunted, which is also more of a comedic role.

I will definitely give Ordinary World a chance... with an open mind. I just felt he over-acted in Like Sunday, Like Rain. I know his character wasn't supposed to be likeable, but in my opinion he was too whiny and over the top, especially for such a small role. To be fair, I don't think he was bad in his appearance on Nurse Jackie.

He has gotten much better at acting. It's clear he put a lot of work into Ordinary World, because he was quite good and genuinely funny in it. He had great chemistry with the other actors, too. He's honestly more natural than some "real" actors I've seen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moonj17 said:

I will definitely give Ordinary World a chance... with an open mind. I just felt he over-acted in Like Sunday, Like Rain. I know his character wasn't supposed to be likeable, but in my opinion he was too whiny and over the top, especially for such a small role. To be fair, I don't think he was bad in his appearance on Nurse Jackie.

His delivery definitely needed work in Like Sunday Like Rain, but I still think his facial expressions and gestures were pretty damn good.  PLus he is pretty damn good as St. Jimmy.  I think he is a much better actor than you give him credit for.  He is no Christoph Waltz (my fav) but he isn't horrible either.  He definitely shows potential.  Ordinary World is actually getting somewhat decent reviews because of him.   

23 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

His delivery definitely needed work in Like Sunday Like Rain, but I still think his facial expressions and gestures were pretty damn good.  PLus he is pretty damn good as St. Jimmy.  I think he is a much better actor than you give him credit for.  He is no Christoph Waltz (my fav) but he isn't horrible either.  He definitely shows potential.  Ordinary World is actually getting somewhat decent reviews because of him.   

I absolutely agree with you about St. Jimmy. Stage acting is different than screen acting though, as it usually needs to be a bit more over the top to reach the audience properly. Billie is fantastic performing on a stage, both as a musician and as an actor. He has tremendous stage presence, he connects with his audience, and his delivery, gestures and expressions work well in that kind of grand setting. Again, I completely respect and admire him and I think he is beyond talented.  I just tend to prefer him as a musician. I haven't seen Ordinary World yet, and it seems I will be pleasantly surprised by his performance.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 9:04 AM, tigress said:

I don't want to see anything from AI live ever again, unless it's fucking Homecoming. 

I wanna see a show with all the songs they NEVER play live, but we can't really expect that considering that a lot of the people going to shows are going for the first time and another chunk of the audience are new fans. I've seen some Homecoming live videos, but one of them is just shit because security  are being too rough on the crowd so Billie has to talk to them. 

• lizziebix featured this topic