Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

5 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I absolutely agree. It's almost as out of place as Mike's line in that "English math and science song" (I can't remember how is it called now). It doesn't really ruin the flow of the song at the beginning. I think of it as more of the type of a intro like Nobody Likes You then as about a proper beginning of the song. 

You're thinking of Sex, Drugs & Violence, and I think that's actually the best part of the song :P

• Like 1

Just now, mrduckygoosy said:

I'm amazed to see how "Too Dumb Too Die" doesn't seem to be appreciated that much, I immediately fell in love with that song and it is actually one of my favorite on Revrad.

Its my skipper - but I love "I got a sentimental illness for you".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrduckygoosy said:

I'm amazed to see how "Too Dumb Too Die" doesn't seem to be appreciated that much, I immediately fell in love with that song and it is actually one of my favorite on Revrad.

I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, bit it has grown on me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrduckygoosy said:

I listened to the album all the way through when I first got it, and this was one that really caught my attention. I don't like the slow beginning, I usually skip to the one minute mark, but I love the rest

• Like 1

Youngblood is one of my least favorite tracks ever. It sounds too repetitive for me and i'm not just talking about the lyrics but the melody as well. It's a shame because I love that it's about 80.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bioshockerxx said:

Unpopular opinion(?) I don't care for Outlaws and it has to be my least favorite song on RevRad

Same, actually. :/ 

I like any of the trilogy albuns more than RevRad and 21CB. And I actually like all of the three albuns from the trilogy.

RevRad is my least favorite GD album.

I didn't like Too Dumb at first but it's grown on me still not my favorite but it's a good track

• Like 1

Most of the people are talking about how great was BJs vocals during the 21st CB but it's the opposite for me (although I love the album).

AI was the best, because it was a transition era between his raw voice of 90s and more high-pitched and to some extent a litlle bit cheesy on 21st CB and later on. That's why I love WMUWSE but tend to skip 21 Guns verses.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bioshockerxx said:

I LOVE the way Billie says "Not every Sunday can be Easter" it gives me chills each time.

Me too! That and "you'll be a scab not a martyr." That song deserves way more love. It's my favorite of the more upbeat ones I think.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I absolutely agree. It's almost as out of place as Mike's line in that "English math and science song" (I can't remember how is it called now). It doesn't really ruin the flow of the song at the beginning. I think of it as more of the type of a intro like Nobody Likes You then as about a proper beginning of the song. 

lol that's one of the Trilogy's standouts for me, and I love Mike's line. Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion :D 

While on the topic of the Trilogy, I really love Drama Queen. I don't know if that's unpopular here, but elsewhere on the internet the only commentary I see on the song is dudebros being pussies about the reference to bleeding :rolleyes:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

lol that's one of the Trilogy's standouts for me, and I love Mike's line. Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion :D 

While on the topic of the Trilogy, I really love Drama Queen. I don't know if that's unpopular here, but elsewhere on the internet the only commentary I see on the song is dudebros being pussies about the reference to bleeding :rolleyes:

I think Drama Queen is quite nice, but I don't like that line either. :lol: It's not because I don't like talking about periods or anything (I do, because it's something completely natural), I just think it sounds very strange in that context and I wish Billie would have phrased it differently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iltrenta said:

Still Breathing is disappointing, I was expecting much more from the rehab song. I get why people say it's relatable, okay, but this doesn't mean it's well written. It's not like I was expecting overly-complicated lines or some oscure Rimbaud reference by the way, Bj has written excellent songs without needing any of that.

I'm like a soldier coming home for the first time

I'm like a mother barely keeping it together

In my opinion those lines are terribly cheap, a cheap wink. A song isn't automatically good just because of the theme and what it means for the author and the listeners.

Same thing for Troubled Times, falsely deep lyrics with an empty chorus:

We. Live. In. Troubled. Times.

I agree about Still Breathing. He uses way too many cliches for it to feel personal. It has so many lines I've heard before that it feels prefabricated, like dozens of popsongs that are written this way. I think many fans feel so connected to it because we know the story and read all the recent heartwrenching interviews. Many people were touched by it and that might have helped them relate to the song. I wonder how relatable and meaningful it is for people who aren't into Green Day the way we are. Regardless, I still like SB. 

I have to disagree a little on Troubled Times. The lyrics sounded falsely deep to me at first but now I think the power of this song is in its simplicity. I'm still like "oh dear" at some of the lines of this song but I actually don't mine the line "we live in trouble times" - I love how abruptly the chorus ends and goes into the instrumental. I just like the music on this song a lot. 

10 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

You're thinking of Sex, Drugs & Violence, and I think that's actually the best part of the song :P

5 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Really? That line just sounds weird to me :lol: It's not a bad song in fact- I like the melody but I've never got over how cringy the chorus is.

Drama Queen is great. It is meant to weird you out a little I think. And yeah, the bleeding line took some getting used to - it's grown on me since I realized it's ambiguous so not actually about periods.

Frankly, it's kind of funny how many times we've discussed this line on here considering that Red Tide is all about periods and no one seems to mind. :P

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree about Still Breathing. He uses way too many cliches for it to feel personal. It has so many lines I've heard before that it feels prefabricated, like dozens of popsongs that are written this way. I think many fans feel so connected to it because we know the story and read all the recent heartwrenching interviews. Many people were touched by it and that might have helped them relate to the song. I wonder how relatable and meaningful it is for people who aren't into Green Day the way we are. Regardless, I still like SB. 

I have to disagree a little on Troubled Times. The lyrics sounded falsely deep to me at first but now I think the power of this song is in its simplicity. I'm still like "oh dear" at some of the lines of this song but I actually don't mine the line "we live in trouble times" - I love how abruptly the chorus ends and goes into the instrumental. I just like the music on this song a lot. 

I love Still Breathing, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Billie's personal feelings/story regarding it. For me, it's just a song that brought up some very strong feelings and emotions during the first listen and all the times that followed and I immediately fell in love with it, even before I knew all the lyrics and their meaning. I think you can feel how emotional the song is to the band (regardless of the story behind it) and I can identify very well with thr "I'm still breathing on my own despite all the shit that happened in my life" theme, that's why I love it so much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kaddi. said:

I love Still Breathing, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Billie's personal feelings/story regarding it. For me, it's just a song that brought up some very strong feelings and emotions for me during the first listen and all the times that followed and I immediately fell in love with it, even before I knew all the lyrics and their meaning. I think you can feel how emotional the song is to the band (regardless of the story behind it) and I can identify very well with thr "I'm still breathing on my own despite all the shit that happened in my life" theme, that's why I love it so much.

Well maybe I'm just not in the right place emotionally for this song. I don't reflect much. My usual attitude is "yeah, I've been through shit but I don't want to think about it", that's not the best point of view for relating to a song like SB. I don't know...so many people love it but it just doesn't resonate with me the same. 

6 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I also find some of the lines in Still Breathing a bit too cheap/cliched, however, I absolutely love "I'm still breathing on my own - My head's above the rain and roses" and also "Are you scared to death to live?", that line hit me hard. The song really grew on me, I think I started liking it a lot only after I heard Billie singing it live (and just through a recording, can't imagine now how powerful it can be when you actually see them perform it). 

True, the chorus and bridge are just great. I'm looking forward to hearing it live...they just shouldn't play it after KFAD again imo. It was such a weird switch :lol:

11 minutes ago, Marki. said:

I also find some of the lines in Still Breathing a bit too cheap/cliched, however, I absolutely love "I'm still breathing on my own - My head's above the rain and roses" and also "Are you scared to death to live?", that line hit me hard. The song really grew on me, I think I started liking it a lot only after I heard Billie singing it live (and just through a recording, can't imagine now how powerful it can be when you actually see them perform it). 

Regarding that, what exactly does that rain and roses line mean? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I've been wondering about it.

1 minute ago, Kaddi. said:

Regarding that, what exactly does that rain and roses line mean? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I've been wondering about it.

His head is held up high & he is not buried under a rose bush ☺️

Roses stand flowers on a grave. 

1 minute ago, Tinkle said:

His head is held up high & he is not buried under a rose bush ☺️

Beat me to it! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iltrenta said:

I'm like a mother barely keeping it together

I have to disagree on this line.  I love Still Breathing, but this line is just so personal to Billie that I think it works so well.  His mother pretty much checked out after his fathers death and I look at that line as a real, personal reference to himself.   

• Like 4

• lizziebix featured this topic