Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

21CB is great, but it doesn't quite beat AI for me. Both are brilliant in every way though.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The trilogy:

I don't think the trilogy was a good idea. If you took a few songs from each of the albums, you would have a solid Green Day album. The albums certainly didn't raise the bar from AI, or 21st century. I also hated the way the trilogy was produced. The guitar tone bothered me. It was too clean for Green Day. Billie's vocals were tampered with (autotune). This saves a lot of time when dealing with 30+ songs. I certainly hope with the upcoming album that they take their time with it and come out with something awesome! 

Awesome As Fuck:

This live album was TERRIBLE compared to Bullet in a Bible. It was obvious that autotune was used which is disappointing. I want to hear a live album, not a studio produced album. Something about the mixing was bad. It just doesn't sound right. On a positive note, I loved the setlist for the album. 

Live performances:

I saw Green Day in Montreal in 2009, and 2010. Both shows were great except Billie can sometimes be a bit of a bore. When they played King for a Day, it dragged on for 25 minutes at least. "EHHHHHH OHHHH" "EHHHHH OHHHH". I understand getting the crowed pumped up, but he's gotta stop over doing it. I cringe everytime they play this song live. It's not fun after a while for the audience. 

Tre's gotta slow down the drumming a bit. I've noticed each tour Tre keeps drumming certain songs faster and faster. Check out St. Jimmy in 2013 vs bullet in a bibles St. Jimmy. But I guess when you're at the concert no one cares that much....

Lastly, bringing fans on stage to sing "longview". Oh man, this was terrible. It's one of my favourite songs by Green Day and to have a fan completely ruin the song at a concert sucks! It's not a karaoke party, its a concert. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, guitarplayer015 said:

The trilogy:

I don't think the trilogy was a good idea. If you took a few songs from each of the albums, you would have a solid Green Day album. The albums certainly didn't raise the bar from AI, or 21st century. I also hated the way the trilogy was produced. The guitar tone bothered me. It was too clean for Green Day. Billie's vocals were tampered with (autotune). This saves a lot of time when dealing with 30+ songs. I certainly hope with the upcoming album that they take their time with it and come out with something awesome! 

Awesome As Fuck:

This live album was TERRIBLE compared to Bullet in a Bible. It was obvious that autotune was used which is disappointing. I want to hear a live album, not a studio produced album. Something about the mixing was bad. It just doesn't sound right. On a positive note, I loved the setlist for the album. 

Live performances:

I saw Green Day in Montreal in 2009, and 2010. Both shows were great except Billie can sometimes be a bit of a bore. When they played King for a Day, it dragged on for 25 minutes at least. "EHHHHHH OHHHH" "EHHHHH OHHHH". I understand getting the crowed pumped up, but he's gotta stop over doing it. I cringe everytime they play this song live. It's not fun after a while for the audience. 

Tre's gotta slow down the drumming a bit. I've noticed each tour Tre keeps drumming certain songs faster and faster. Check out St. Jimmy in 2013 vs bullet in a bibles St. Jimmy. But I guess when you're at the concert no one cares that much....

Lastly, bringing fans on stage to sing "longview". Oh man, this was terrible. It's one of my favourite songs by Green Day and to have a fan completely ruin the song at a concert sucks! It's not a karaoke party, its a concert. 

Billie doesn't use autotune, he uses filters.  Billie uses tools to have a cleaner vocal that stands out from the instruments more.  Autotune corrects pitch.  It is generally agreed that the vocals were too compressed on the trilogy.      

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, guitarplayer015 said:

The trilogy:

Awesome As Fuck:

Live performances:

Just pretend the trilogy doesn't exist.

4 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Billie doesn't use autotune, he uses filters.  Billie uses tools to have a cleaner vocal that stands out from the instruments more.  Autotune corrects pitch.  It is generally agreed that the vocals were too compressed on the trilogy.      

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. I won't write a full essay on my reasons since that will just start a huge fight. Lets just hope that the new album coming up is great!

1 hour ago, guitarplayer015 said:

The trilogy:

Everyone says that about it, but if that's the case how is there actually a problem? You can just pick those songs yourself, make a playlist of them and listen to it, and enjoy your solid Green Day album :lol:. It's even better doing it yourself because your list of favourite songs will no doubt be different to other people's or the band's, so you'll get the exact ones you want. From the point of view of the album(s) maybe being more successful/well received I get the argument for slimming down but just from the point of view of enjoying the music all it would've done is made it highly likely you would've missed out on hearing some of your preferred songs.

Oh and about Awesome as Fuck/Bullet in a Bible, BIAB obviously has the best DVD of the two but I much prefer the Awesome as Fuck CD! Yeah there's a bit of noticeable vocal effect on there but everything else is in its favour, the variety of different songs at different venues and the way it captures the energy of the band and crowd and the feel of that tour. The BIAB CD all recorded in one place and with really not the most interesting versions of songs to listen to (although they're very entertaining to watch) is dull in comparison.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

You're very wrong 

clearly you've never heard of auto tune or you're very ignorant to recording... Personally I'll go with both 

Isn't this supposed to be an "unpopular Green Day opinion" thread? Sheesh, Green Day fans get so defensive over opinions.

When I refer to "autotune", I'm talking about programs that correct pitch. Check out programs like Melodyne. They correct pitch without giving off the "robotic" sound of autotune. You guys really need to think logically about this. Autotune was clearly used in Awesome as Fuck. (let me clarify, Billie's pitch was corrected multiple times. Do you really need evidence of that?). I'm sure you can view clips on youtube and compare them to the actual CD of Awesome as Fuck. What makes you think they wouldn't use it on a studio album? Especially when three albums are being made. It saves time and money. 

You're just as ignorant about the recording process if you TRUELY think that there's no possibility autotune was used. Anyways, let's just respect each other point of view and move on. You're free to believe what you wish.

13 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

except audience videos from that show shows otherwise

and again Billie doesn't use autotune...

you should perhaps learn about differences between filters like reverb and autotune... 

but hey what the fuck would i know right? 

Time to move along there WhiteTim. No sense in arguing over this.

Billie doesn't use autotune. And the stuff he does on stage with audience members,  that might bore some people who just want to hear him sing, are actually voice breaks. No human can sing for 3 hours straight, not even Billie Joe. 

That being said, 

I also dislike the overall sound quality of the Trilogy, and the amount of "filler " songs with less than ideal lyric writing. But as was earlier pointed out, I made myself a great playlist of all my favorites, so no problem.  There really are some gems hidden on that set. They just sound like crap.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, guitarplayer015 said:

actually, please keep arguing! This is the most exciting thing on the board in days! the fan girl thread is the only other topic with new posts, and that thread bores the hell outta me

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, guitarplayer015 said:

He needs to keep it going, because you are wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyle Serlington said:

actually, please keep arguing! This is the most exciting thing on the board in days! the fan girl thread is the only other topic with new posts, and that thread bores the hell outta me

Haha I wonder why??? 

2 hours ago, guitarplayer015 said:

Isn't this supposed to be an "unpopular Green Day opinion" thread? Sheesh, Green Day fans get so defensive over opinions.

Yeah but that can include discussing/agreeing with/disagreeing with those opinions. Obviously you don't have to carry on a discussion if you don't want to but the thread would be boring if there was no debate.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Unpopular opinion: I didn't care for Somewhere Now or Forever Now too much. :P But seeing as how the reaction to those two songs is overwhelmingly positive, I'm likely to be a minority (haha) in this opinion. :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Unpopular opinion: I didn't care for Somewhere Now or Forever Now too much. :P But seeing as how the reaction to those two songs is overwhelmingly positive, I'm likely to be a minority (haha) in this opinion. :lol: 

Great kick off.

• lizziebix featured this topic