Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I think Green Day needs to massively overhaul their sound with their next project. Do something different, something more contemporary, experiment. They don't really stand out all that much anymore. I mean at this point they're pretty much in a Post-Warning era-esque rut, so they might as well try to do something new since they have hardly any hype backing them anymore (at least in comparison to say, 5 years ago). Focus on making a tight, all-killer-no-filler record. No overarching narratives, no gimmicks, keep the album conceptually simple. Maybe try perfecting the sounds that they began to explore on Warning, but do it in a more modern way. I don't think they can really afford for their next album to just be another standard guitar, drums, bass record. People want something a little more dynamic.

Edited by CrimsonArk
  • Like 1

The reason is because people pay attention when you say a controversial thing and it doesn't take much effort.

I am really enjoying your elaborate answers - more than one word replies - you must be bored

"She gave up on Jesus for living on venus"
I still cringe every time I hear it.

I think the rhyme is intentionally kind of silly/tongue in cheek, and it has legit meaning (giving up a straight laced lifestyle for a wild lifestyle). I like it.

• Like 1

I agree with Hermione, I have no problem with that line.  However, "I love your BMX-cellent tits" is another story.

@JJ1964 I agree it's bad but it makes me laugh every time I hear it. It's SO bad I can't take it seriously.  

Edited by Jane Lannister
  • Like 1

I think the rhyme is intentionally kind of silly/tongue in cheek, and it has legit meaning (giving up a straight laced lifestyle for a wild lifestyle). I like it.

Yeah but it still sucks.

• Like 1

I still don't really see the problem with the BMXcellent tits line. It's not like he was going for deep and meaningful, it's supposed to be silly :P 

Yeah but it still sucks.

Nope! Haha

I still don't really see the problem with the BMXcellent tits line. It's not like he was going for deep and meaningful, it's supposed to be silly :P 

That silly? :P It's still a pretty bad joke, though.

Nope! Haha

Being "silly" doesn't really excuse it. It can be silly and not suck. There are plenty of comedic songs with lyrics where I laugh every time I hear them.

• Like 1

Hermione likes everything even semi-related to Green Day. There's no arguing with her. You just have to accept that she's wrong and move on.

Untrue but if that's your argument then OK :P. Anyway there's a difference between a line that's funny in a clever way and a line that's deliberately silly and nonsensical for sure, but both can work depending on the song. In this case it's coming from the "troublemaker" character who goes around behaving in a silly, brash and cringeworthy way so the line seems fitting enough.

I can see why it might be disliked but I'm not sure why it's always given as the ultimate example of a bad lyric, I think an example where they were actually going for something thoughtful or clever but missed the mark would be better than one where they aimed for silly and delivered silly.

Let's talk about The Forgotten

I think it is kind of pretty.  I find it sad, it always sounded like a good bye full of regrets.  He sounds pretty on it.  But, Good Riddance and Last Night on Earth are far superior ballads.

I'm sorry, but you can't just use "it's intentionally silly" as an excuse any time trilogy lyrics suck. Actually, I'm not sorry. I think the only time that argument even applies/works is for All By Myself or Fuck Time or songs that are just completely over the top.

Songs like Troublemaker and Wild One are so obviously trying to be ~edgy and failing. Bad. No amount of excuses can shield that objective badness. 

• Like 3

I like The Forgotten. Only immature bastards who think they're cool if they dislike Twilight films hate it. 

I think it is kind of pretty.  I find it sad, it always sounded like a good bye full of regrets.  He sounds pretty on it.  But, Good Riddance and Last Night on Earth are far superior ballads.

I like the melody and the delivery and yes, the song doesn't fail to convey feelings but some of the lyrics are too cheesy for my taste. 

I like The Forgotten. Only immature bastards who think they're cool if they dislike Twilight films hate it. 

I like Jesus Of Suburbia :P

I'm sorry, but you can't just use "it's intentionally silly" as an excuse any time trilogy lyrics suck. Actually, I'm not sorry. I think the only time that argument even applies/works is for All By Myself or Fuck Time or songs that are just completely over the top.

Songs like Troublemaker and Wild One are so obviously trying to be ~edgy and failing. Bad. No amount of excuses can shield that objective badness. 

It's just impossible to process the fact that somebody could mean this seriously. It's so obviously dumb. 

The Forgotten is decent instrumentally but once you listen to the lyrics you realise that he's just randomly saying cliches over and over again and it makes absolutely no sense.

I don't use it any time, only if it applies :P. The play on words of "I like your BMW, I like your BMXcellent tits..." is intentionally silly, and the rhyme "She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus" is intentionally slightly humorous and tongue in cheek, that's all. 

Also Troublemaker has the fantastic, "I wouldn't say I'm straight 'cause I'm bent out of shape" line, so I definitely can't accept that it's objectively bad.

Agreed, it has a note of optimism at the end though with the "Don't look away from the arms of tomorrow....Don't look away from the arms of love" etc. I think it's a nice sentiment to end the albums on.

• Like 1

Untrue but if that's your argument then OK :P. Anyway there's a difference between a line that's funny in a clever way and a line that's deliberately silly and nonsensical for sure, but both can work depending on the song. In this case it's coming from the "troublemaker" character who goes around behaving in a silly, brash and cringeworthy way so the line seems fitting enough.

I can see why it might be disliked but I'm not sure why it's always given as the ultimate example of a bad lyric, I think an example where they were actually going for something thoughtful or clever but missed the mark would be better than one where they aimed for silly and delivered silly.

Untrue? I think you forgot that Beck, Beastie Boys, Weird Al, and so much more exist :P . They make comedic songs on purpose, but they *gasp* don't suck (Save for a few, of course). In the case with "Wild One", it doesn't fit at all. Like Alissa said, it tries be be all edgy and it just fails. Miserably, I might add. I mean, I don't see how "Wild One" gives off a comedic vibe at all. Not even the subject matter. "Troublemaker" does, but that song sounds like Billie Joe wrote it while viewing Mike and Tré sticking coathangers in eachothers' ears.

Untrue? I think you forgot that Beck, Beastie Boys, Weird Al, and so much more exist :P . They make comedic songs on purpose, but they *gasp* don't suck (Save for a few, of course). In the case with "Wild One", it doesn't fit at all. Like Alissa said, it tries be be all edgy and it just fails. Miserably, I might add. I mean, I don't see how "Wild One" gives off a comedic vibe at all. Not even the subject matter. And don't get me started on "Troublemaker", that song sounds like Billie Joe wrote it while viewing Mike and Tré sticking coathangers in eachothers' ears.

Oh sorry, the untrue bit was referring to Ceadagh saying I like everything Green Day related :lol:. I should've made that more clear. As far as Wild One I don't think the song as a whole gives off a comedic vibe, I just think that particular rhyme is intended to be slightly tongue in cheek/lighthearted.

Untrue? I think you forgot that Beck, Beastie Boys, Weird Al, and so much more exist :P . They make comedic songs on purpose, but they *gasp* don't suck (Save for a few, of course). In the case with "Wild One", it doesn't fit at all. Like Alissa said, it tries be be all edgy and it just fails. Miserably, I might add. I mean, I don't see how "Wild One" gives off a comedic vibe at all. Not even the subject matter. "Troublemaker" does, but that song sounds like Billie Joe wrote it while viewing Mike and Tré sticking coathangers in eachothers' ears.

What people find funny is subjective.  Some people actually find Will Ferrell funny.  I personally find root canals funnier.  If Hermione finds it funny then it is funny to her.

And since when is Beck comedic???

• lizziebix featured this topic