Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

ok, thanks, I think I get it. It really wouldn't seem like Billie's style to use it anyway.

On the Christie Road one I could be wrong on it but it sounds the pretty much same (well except in better audio quality) on the cell phone video as well

• Like 2

Isn't that what auto tune does, correct the pitch?

I don't hear it on Restless Heart Syndrome. Listen to BIAB, the King for a Day/Shout medley. I hear it there

You can watch him do the same thing he does on BIAB on a thousand videos from fans on Youtube. During that time period he was very capable of hitting those notes in the Shout medley

On the Christie Road one I could be wrong on it but it sounds the pretty much same (well except in better audio quality) on the cell phone video as well

It sounds identical :P Which is why I never bought the pitch correction claims

But Christie Road on Awesome as Fuck is definitely auto tuned or something, it just sounds really weird.

Why would you think they would only pitch correct one song? It doesn't make much sense.

• Like 4

A couple things on his vocals:

1) The trilogy vocals suck because of the filter. It doesn't sound like Billie at all at some points. When they had stripped down production on the music before, his signature snarl could be heard easily. On the trilogy his voice is soft and not interesting. And there isn't much in the way of technicality like 21CB

2) Insomniac would lose points on vocals because the words are almost undecipherable, but once you know the words he's going for, it isn't too bad. Plus he has that incredible delivery on Insomniac, the seething anger of the words comes out in his vocals. Which is perfect for the album.

My thing with the trilogy and the filters is they should have lowered the settings if Billie just had to have the filter I know he says he loves the filters and make him confidence or whatever (paraphrasing since I don't remember exactly what he said) but it seems they used the same force as he has since AI which given the sound for AI and 21st it didn't matter much hell I think most folks didn't even notice the filter on AI until the rock band tracks leaked out but the trilogy wasn't loud as AI and 21st was and therefor the filter stuck out like a sore thumb...

I love Insomniac but hated the vocals are buried underneath the music

My thing with the trilogy and the filters is they should have lowered the settings if Billie just had to have the filter I know he says he loves the filters and make him confidence or whatever (paraphrasing since I don't remember exactly what he said) but it seems they used the same force as he has since AI which given the sound for AI and 21st it didn't matter much hell I think most folks didn't even notice the filter on AI until the rock band tracks leaked out but the trilogy wasn't loud as AI and 21st was and therefor the filter stuck out like a sore thumb...

I love Insomniac but hated the vocals are buried underneath the music

What do you mean with the filters ? Are they the delay/reverb/... effects on the voice ?

What do you mean with the filters ? Are they the delay/reverb/... effects on the voice ?

listen to say "Shoplifter" then listen to Sweet 16. Billie's voice didn't change that much, the filters create that effect

• Like 1

Sounds to me a reverb effect but what program or plug in he uses no idea there are plenty of plug ins out there

Sounds to me a reverb effect but what program or plug in he uses no idea there are plenty of plug ins out there

Yes :P Reverb for sure, but on Holiday for example there is some kind of delay too

With the Trilogy, the effects they use may hinder the vocals, but overall, I still think he is a technically better vocalist now, even on the Trilogy. If they changed the production it may be more apparent.

Yes :P Reverb for sure, but on Holiday for example there is some kind of delay too

If you listen to the isolated vocal tracks from American Idiot there's a delay on every song. It does become quite prominent during the bass solo of Holiday though.

If you listen to the isolated vocal tracks from American Idiot there's a delay on every song. It does become quite prominent during the bass solo of Holiday though.

I agree :P I just pointed Holiday as I find the delay pretty obvious on this one (for example most part of Letterbomb doesn't have delay).

• Like 1

With the Trilogy, the effects they use may hinder the vocals, but overall, I still think he is a technically better vocalist now, even on the Trilogy. If they changed the production it may be more apparent.

I simply disagree with this. I'm not a fan of his vocals on the Trilogy - they sound over-processed and weak. No snarl at all. His live vocals were very off during the Trilogy tour, and I know I've said this before but we're never going to get better vocals than we got on 21CBD and the accompanying tour unless Billie repeats the vocal training he was doing around that time.

I simply disagree with this. I'm not a fan of his vocals on the Trilogy - they sound over-processed and weak. No snarl at all. His live vocals were very off during the Trilogy tour, and I know I've said this before but we're never going to get better vocals than we got on 21CBD and the accompanying tour unless Billie repeats the vocal training he was doing around that time.

I agree, and have always agreed with you about 21CBD. By far his best GD vocal performance.

I still believe he is a better technical vocalist now, then he was. I still think it shows on the Trilogy as well. I do not believe the Trilogy was his best vocal performance, but it is better than the earlier stuff, technically. Maybe not entertaining wise, but technically yes. The over processed is a problem with the production, not the vocals. The snarls are not good technical vocals, they are entertaining vocals. I cannot comment on the tour, I didn't see it.

As far as continuing his training, I think Foreverly is proof that he did something to get back on track. He did not have the capacity to do that 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I still don't hear anything bad about Billie's vocals on the Trilogy tour, they still sound great to me which is unsurprising since he improved his technique for 21st CB and wouldn't have just forgotten everything from that, and has continued to learn and push his vocals since then by singing on Broadway etc. I've only heard negative comments about them from a handful of people, and that's only been since he went through rehab and everyone started looking for differences/things to complain about as a result so I don't think there's anything wrong :P

• Like 2

I'd never argue that Foreverly isn't technically good, it's just musically lazy. They bring absolutely nothing new to 60 year old songs, and it's fucking boring. Billie Joe showed better musical creativity with covering Knowledge 25 years ago then he did on Foreverly.

I still don't hear anything bad about Billie's vocals on the Trilogy tour, they still sound great to me which is unsurprising since he improved his technique for 21st CB and wouldn't have just forgotten everything from that, and has continued to learn and push his vocals since then by singing on Broadway etc. I've only heard negative comments about them from a handful of people, and that's only been since he went through rehab and everyone started looking for differences/things to complain about as a result so I don't think there's anything wrong :P

m8

Pretty sure he didn't hit a single note that night, and Reading wasn't much better.

I'd never argue that Foreverly isn't technically good, it's just musically lazy. They bring absolutely nothing new to 60 year old songs, and it's fucking boring. Billie Joe showed better musical creativity with covering Knowledge 25 years ago then he did on Foreverly.

m8

Pretty sure he didn't hit a single note that night, and Reading wasn't much better.

Yeah he hit plenty of wrong notes at the Foxboro show in London in 2009 too. His voice has never been perfect and has been off occasionally on every tour they've done, I don't think one or two performances means the quality's down overall.

• Like 2

Yeah he hit plenty of wrong notes at the Foxboro show in London in 2009 too. His voice has never been perfect and has been off occasionally on every tour they've done, I don't think one or two performances means the quality's down overall.

The MTV World Stage and Reading were probably the two most high profile gigs of the Trilogy tour (the Emirates show was probably bigger but it wasn't televised so I'm discounting it). You'd think he'd make a special effort not to be shit on those two in particular :P

The MTV World Stage and Reading were probably the two most high profile gigs of the Trilogy tour (the Emirates show was probably bigger but it wasn't televised so I'm discounting it). You'd think he'd make a special effort not to be shit on those two in particular :P

I don't even think they're that bad :lol:. Maybe he should've rested his voice instead of playing an extra show in Brixton first though :P

Yeah Billie was pretty off at Rock Am Ring vocally. No doubt. But Reading was much better, though he may have appeared a bit bored at certain points, it was probably nothing.

As for Foreverly not being "creative"... well I think that's just missing the point. The fact that he recorded a pretty unknown Everly brothers album with someone who is so dissimilar from him musically (Norah Jones) is an inherently creative thing to do. Obviously if you don't like folk/roots country then it will be quite boring. But that album had some incredible harmonies, and the songs were brought to life with their more modern sound.

I'd be more impressed by the "creativity" of rerecording Everly Brother's songs with a male/female duet if Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Dawn McCarthy hadn't done exactly the same thing almost a year before BJ and Norah :P

I'd be more impressed by the "creativity" of rerecording Everly Brother's songs with a male/female duet if Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Dawn McCarthy hadn't done exactly the same thing almost a year before BJ and Norah :P

But it isn't remotely the same thing, because they're different songs save for one (Kentucky is the only overlap, I believe). The songs Billie and Norah did were rarer and also not Everly Brother songs anyway, just songs the Everly Brothers covered. On top of that, it's way further out of Billie's genre than McCarthy and Billy

• Like 2

But it isn't remotely the same thing, because they're different songs save for one (Kentucky is the only overlap, I believe). The songs Billie and Norah did were rarer and also not Everly Brother songs anyway, just songs the Everly Brothers covered. On top of that, it's way further out of Billie's genre than McCarthy and Billy

• Male/female duet
  • Everly Brothers covers
  • Both released in 2013

Sounds pretty much the same to me. The only real difference is the renown of the pairings.

So BJ and Norah did covers of covers of covers? Now that's scraping the barrel :lol: (although it is very comparable to GD's godawful I Fought The Law cover)

• lizziebix featured this topic