Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Half of the stuff on "Warning" is really underrated. Just because they switched from pop punk/punk rock/whatever to folk punk, it doesn't mean that has to be bad folk punk.

• Like 1

I remember when Church On Sunday was my favourite song :lol:

Every time I hear it, I remember that I love it.

• Like 3

I dont think any of the songs on Warning could be described as Folk Punk, really. They took the sound of Nimrod and focused on making a more cohesive album rather than trying all kinds of things. The only thing folky about it is the acoustic guitar. Church on Sunday, Castaway, Fashion Victim, Waiting, Blood Sex and Booze, Deadbeat Holiday and Jackass could have pretty much been on any other Green Day album.

• Like 3

I was listening to Nightlife last last night and, it's fucking awesome. Yep I said it, I've accepted it. I like Nightlife.

It takes some serious guts to admit that. I respect you for your courage in standing up for Nightlife, but at the same time Nightlife is awful.

• Like 2

It takes some serious guts to admit that. I respect you for your courage in standing up for Nightlife, but at the same time Nightlife is awful.

hahah the lyrics aren't that great to be honest, but i respect Green Day for trying something different and its quite musically exciting for them. I think it's a fun listen. Well in my opinion haha.
  • Like 1

hahah the lyrics aren't that great to be honest, but i respect Green Day for trying something different and its quite musically exciting for them. I think it's a fun listen. Well in my opinion haha.

Everyone's allowed to like one shite song from the Trilogy, and I'm with you, Nightlife is a fun listen.

Everyone's allowed to like one shite song from the Trilogy, and I'm with you, Nightlife is a fun listen.

Mine's Amy

• Like 1

I wonder if Billie Joe and Amy will discuss their meth dealers in the afterlife.

If Jaded in Chicago is any indication, I think Billie had the better one

• Like 3

I'm proud to say the original version of Good Riddance (b-side to Brain Stew/Jaded) is far superior to the Nimrod version. The latter sounds cheesy and too upbeat for what it's trying to say (didn't Billie write it about a break-up or someshit?). It was a wise decision to not end the album with that track; Prosthetic Head, one of their best songs to this day, gets the job done perfectly.

• Like 3

This thread gives me such a headache :lol:

Weighing in on Nightlife - I can enjoy it in small doses.
The lyrics, combined with the overall melody/vocals, are pretty cool in that they accurately describe (what I can only assume to be) the sketchy shit that Beej got himself into in 2008 - 2012.

Same with Makeout Party! I can't believe you guys prefer Wild One over Makeout Party :wacko: I like both in their own ways, but still.

What do you guys make of Ashley? I keep trying to figure out where she fits into the whole "people BJ has fucked in the last 27 years" timeline.
It was also one of my first favorites from the trilogy.

• Like 1

I don't know if it takes serious guts to admit to liking a Green Day song on a Green Day forum but if it does I don't believe it should :P

What do you guys make of Ashley? I keep trying to figure out where she fits into the whole "people BJ has fucked in the last 27 years" timeline.

I assumed it's another one about Amanda (the girlfriend he was with while writing Dookie who went to Ecuador when they split up that tons of their songs are about, She, Good Riddance, Whatsername etc) but he'd just already used the name on another song :lol:. I guess it could've been inspired by any experience of a relationship like that though so not necessarily her/all her.

• Like 2

Funny, by your metric, he should go around with no pants, it would be so much easier! I'm sure he has had his, but occasionally he does zip it up! :)

The song itself is on my list of ones that should not have been recorded.

• Like 1

Ashley is one I can stand, but I'll avoid if I can. Demolicious improves it, but it's still one of the three worst Trilogy songs.

I used to consider Ashley one of the worst but I appreciate it more now, it's a really catchy, bouncy tune and the lyrics "You used to dangle my heart with your puppet strings/You dangled your desires right in front of my face/You led me to the well but wouldn't let me drink/Swallowing my pride I never even got the taste" are just great. The Demolicious version is especially good, it's dirty.

• Like 4

I used to consider Ashley one of the worst but I appreciate it more now, it's a really catchy, bouncy tune and the lyrics "You used to dangle my heart with your puppet strings/You dangled your desires right in front of my face/You led me to the well but wouldn't let me drink/Swallowing my pride I never even got the taste" are just great. The Demolicious version is especially good, it's dirty.

I just don't really like the darker, heavier sound on it (but I like Insomniac, so that's interesting), but that's less prominent on Demolicious.

Ashley is really good, the instrumentation unique (nice bass and guitar harmonies), Clever lyrics, overall a good song in my opinion. I like when Green Day do darker songs.

Ashley is another example of where the dark/raw/heavy sound completely transforms a song. It's so much better on Demolicious. As is Baby Eyes.

• Like 2

You really are the most positive person on the planet! :)

Ashley is another example of where the dark/raw/heavy sound completely transforms a song. It's so much better on Demolicious. As is Baby Eyes.

Half of the songs is actually better on Demolicious.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic