Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I disagree. First, I didn't say compromise, I said adapted, huge, huge difference. It doesn't matter what career you choose, whether it is show business, doctor, president, etc to remain viable and successful, you need to adapt to changing environments. The same things that worked in 1989 will not necessarily work in 2014. One of the reasons that GD has remained successful for 25 years is their ability to adapt and change. Albert Einstein had his own definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. There are many bands that didn't adapt and they are now playing oldie shows. I think 39/Smooth and Kerplunk are different than Dookie, Nimrod and Insomniac. Then Warning, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are different than the rest. There are definitely more pop sounds in Dookie, Nimrod and Insomniac then 39/Smooth and Kerplunk. The songs are much more radio friendly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with how they have adapted, but they most definitely have. Yes, they were influenced by The Beatles and The Ramones, they were also influenced by the Sex Pistols and The Stooges, all different sounds. GD's greatness is because they could take those sounds that influenced them and successfully adapt to become successful and remain successful. Personally, I'm excited to see what they can come up with next. Even though I truly believe they are done, sadly.

I totally agree that they've changed/adapted, but I think that was a natural musical progression for a band that's ambitious and want to challenge themselves and change rather than stagnate. As far as a pop sound goes it's always been there in one way or another though, and I'd say that (for example) the cheesy love songs of their first EP are a lot more pop than the angrier songs of Insomniac. They became more polished production wise but that was because they were in a better studio with more time and money more than anything, in terms of actual songs they've always been a naturally pop influenced band. They even had trouble being allowed to play at Gilman in the early days due to their sound being considered too pop and not punk enough, that's just them.

• Like 3

Yes, but the pop influence has been there right from the start. It is in their blood, so to say. BJ just writes poppy songs and has always done so.

Take away the raw production and some of the songs on 1039 SLSH are nearly bubblegum. Both lyrically and musically. The production or the style of their lyrics may have changed as the years have gone by, but the basic songwriting has always been poppy. Catchy, easily sing-alongable melodies, for example. Or the basic song structure (with which they later experienced, though). Or the easily relatable lyrics.

Pop is a part of them, has always been and so they didn't adapt to it. They just are like that.

• Like 1

I totally agree that they've changed/adapted, but I think that was a natural musical progression for a band that's ambitious and want to challenge themselves and change rather than stagnate. As far as a pop sound goes it's always been there in one way or another though, and I'd say that (for example) the cheesy love songs of their first EP are a lot more pop than the angrier songs of Insomniac. They became more polished production wise but that was because they were in a better studio with more time and money more than anything, in terms of actual songs they've always been a naturally pop influenced band. They even had trouble being allowed to play at Gilman in the early days due to their sound being considered too pop and not punk enough, that's just them.

OK, I think we are actually agree, in a roundabout way. The only difference is I think they added more elements of pop as time went on, while still maintaining a rock edge. I will admit I always considered them more of a rock band than punk anyway. In interviews, Mike rarely calls them a punk band, he usually always refers to them as a rock band. I'll give you that they have punk influences.

• Like 1

Punk is a funny thing. Nobody agrees what kind of music it is, and everyone has a different conception of what is real and what is fake punk. Then people go all over nuts and start shitstorms whilst arguing what is real punk and what is not, what is cool and what is not.

In the end people concluse it is all about some kind of "attitude" which nobody can determine.

Genres are a funny thing in general. Y'all take music too seriously.

I don't like genres, it labels bands and when they try something fresh everyone goes ape shit.
  • Like 3

I don't know how anyone could think that Insomniac is more pop and 39/smooth. Because 39/smooth is obscenely pop. It's like a One Direction album or something, and that's not a bad thing at all.

I don't know how anyone could think that Insomniac is more pop and 39/smooth. Because 39/smooth is obscenely pop. It's like a One Direction album or something, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Well, it would be bad thing (because they're not that great), if it was anything like One Direction. I'm sorry but where are we finding a song like "16" "Paper Lanterns" or "Going to Pasalaqcua" on a One Direction album

• Like 3

We really don't talk about how Emenius Sleepus is one of the best songs on Dookie often enough.

Musically I tend to lump it in with Coming Clean and In the End, but when I actually sit down and listen to it carefully I'm always pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't call it one of the best on Dookie("Burnout", "F.O.D." and the five singles all beat it), but quite the awesome tune.

Well, it would be bad thing (because they're not that great), if it was anything like One Direction. I'm sorry but where are we finding a song like "16" "Paper Lanterns" or "Going to Pasalaqcua" on a One Direction album

Disagree!

Disagree!

Well when you put it like that!

But seriously, disagree with what? There's no point in just shouting out things like that then not at least defending them :P

The Grouch is brilliant.

Absolutely love the part where the bass drops in after "...shitty old man"

Also the line "Wasted youth and a fistful of ideals, I had a young and optimistic point of view." is a personal favorite

• Like 3

Well when you put it like that!

But seriously, disagree with what? There's no point in just shouting out things like that then not at least defending them :P

I disagree!!!!

Haha yeah, fair point. I don't have specific examples or anything. I just don't think your examples are super deep or anything, and I think One Direction write some decent music that's pretty comparable lyrically and melodically to 39/Smooth. But of course that's just me. And I think the trilogy is the best thing GD has ever done, so what do I know? :P

I disagree!!!!

Haha yeah, fair point. I don't have specific examples or anything. I just don't think your examples are super deep or anything, and I think One Direction write some decent music that's pretty comparable lyrically and melodically to 39/Smooth. But of course that's just me. And I think the trilogy is the best thing GD has ever done, so what do I know? :P

Lyrically I won't disagree at all. But take 16 for example. The combination of the bass line and the drumming put it miles ahead musically of anything One Direction does. Plus power chords and Billie's snarls don't really conjure up images of One Direction. I just think they're too different in the foundation of what they do musically to be similar.

Plus they don't really write their own songs, so.

Lyrically I won't disagree at all. But take 16 for example. The combination of the bass line and the drumming put it miles ahead musically of anything One Direction does. Plus power chords and Billie's snarls don't really conjure up images of One Direction. I just think they're too different in the foundation of what they do musically to be similar.

One Direction + Green Day = Five Seconds Of Summer, clearly.

• Like 2

1D has written some of their songs judging from a wiki search

Absolutely love the part where the bass drops in after "...shitty old man"

YES. I love that too.

• Like 1

Some of them are credited on a few. Not most

Well still can't say they haven't/don't write songs

Random thought:

I don't get why it seems country is the only genre that doesn't get attacked for having songwriters

Well still can't say they haven't/don't write songs

Random thought:

I don't get why it seems country is the only genre that doesn't get attacked for having songwriters

fuck country

is this what you wanted?

• lizziebix featured this topic