Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

My album chart is changing all the time, but after doing a full discography re-listen during a long ass trip this is the current one and I feel it probably fits quite well this thread 🫠

1) American Idiot 
2) Nimrod 
3) Insomniac
4) Dookie
5) 21CB
6) Kerplunk
7) 1039
8 )Warning
9) Foam
10) Uno
11) Dos
12) Revrad
13) Tre

On 8/31/2022 at 7:43 PM, Zebahar said:

I don’t think Tre is all that funny anymore.

Back in the day when he was just a young punk, I think his wild behavior and dirty jokes and weird faces were funny because it fit that character. He’s now an old man, a DAD, and it seems like his jokes are much more forced now.

i could go without ever seeing him make a goofy side eye look again during an interview after making some sexual joke.

Tre was definitely funnier in the 90s, I think the added energy made it more humorous.

I still find him funny as hell though and he’s unique in his delivery. I love how some interviewers just never know what to do or say after Tre talks.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 11:36 AM, Gwen Stacy said:

A hot take I thought of during the most recent outage: I’ve heard several people say the production on the first two albums makes them unlistenable, and I have absolutely no patience for this. Yes they don’t sound like major label studio albums because they’re not. But to hear some people talk about it, they make them sound like they’re bad cell phone recordings or something. Like if you won’t listen to something that’s not literally pristine, you’ve got too much time on your hands. 

I have never understand that kind of opinions. I get the same comments in other forums about Bad Religion and that they should re-record their first two records. What's wrong dude, don't you like punk? Haha

• Like 1

I will admit that the production of those first two albums is one of the main reasons I put them low on my album rankings. But they are NOT unlistenable, far from it. And they did what they could with what they had. The writing and instrumentation is still really good on these albums. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I will admit that the production of those first two albums is one of the main reasons I put them low on my album rankings. But they are NOT unlistenable, far from it. And they did what they could with what they had. The writing and instrumentation is still really good on these albums. 

39 smooth and the first few eps are rough but it never bothered me for those reasons mentioned and cause I grew up with Lookout records albums. I always found it great that they didn’t need state of the art technology to sound good.

Kerplunk sounds much better though. The budget got bigger after Op Ivy and GD’s success. With Op Ivy being gone and no sign of Rancid yet, GD were the Lookout golden boys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 7:36 AM, Gwen Stacy said:

A hot take I thought of during the most recent outage: I’ve heard several people say the production on the first two albums makes them unlistenable, and I have absolutely no patience for this. Yes they don’t sound like major label studio albums because they’re not. But to hear some people talk about it, they make them sound like they’re bad cell phone recordings or something. Like if you won’t listen to something that’s not literally pristine, you’ve got too much time on your hands. 

I'm fine with the mix of everything but Kerplunk. They were admittedly all stoned when they mixed Kerplunk, which is why it sounds so strange. Although the remastered Reprise reissue was an improvement, it would definitely benefit from a remix. There is a remix out there of 2,000 Light Years Away that was done by Rob Cavallo and Jerry Finn in 1994 that toned up the drums and added some crunch to the guitar tone. I seem to remember someone (I believe Tre) saying that they haven't considered remixing the pre-Dookie material because analog master recordings have to be "baked" to separate the tracks so that they can be digitally mastered. Once they do that, the tapes are no good and can't be put back together. They apparently don't want to do that.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:27 AM, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

My album chart is changing all the time, but after doing a full discography re-listen during a long ass trip this is the current one and I feel it probably fits quite well this thread 🫠

1) American Idiot 
2) Nimrod 
3) Insomniac
4) Dookie
5) 21CB
6) Kerplunk
7) 1039
8 )Warning
9) Foam
10) Uno
11) Dos
12) Revrad
13) Tre

How is FOAM above REVRAD (or even above Uno for that matter?)

On 1/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, dreamykatie said:

Yeah, I guess I worded it a bit wrong. It's aged well but in an incredibly unfortunate way.  I guess since I work in the school system now I'm a bit sensitive to it, since (and I know this is veering into too personal) now that's one of major fears now. 

By the time that song was written and released school shooting were already a major fear for like 15 years.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:28 PM, dirnt286 said:

How is FOAM above REVRAD (or even above Uno for that matter?)

By the time that song was written and released school shooting were already a major fear for like 15 years.

Cause at the moment I go back and listen to FOAM more often then Uno or RevRad. There are songs on Uno and RevRad that I like more than any song on Foam (Bang Bang, Forever now, Stay the night, let yourself go), but also many songs I tend to skip, and several songs I always skip. I’m a vinyl nerd and tend to listen to records only with my turntable, front to back with no skipping, and if I have to play one of the three records I’ll play Foam at the moment.
If I listen to songs on my phone while commuting or working, more songs from Foam rather then the other two records will be part of my playlist. That’s how, personal preference in this moment of my life. Might be that in a month the situation is flipped 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 5:36 PM, Gwen Stacy said:

I enjoy kerplunk much more than Dookie.

Generally Dookie is just... I don't know. It has all the big hits so it's super famous but as an album I don't really care about it. It doesn't really flow for me. I'm never in the mood to listen to Dookie. I'll blast Insomniac even I'm in the mood for some good aggressive green day punk rock.

I enjoy everything else they released until and including 21stcb apart from smoothed out more than Dookie.

• 1 month later...

I think Good Riddance really needs to take a back seat. It has to be THE most overplayed Green Day song live and I'm tired of it as a closer. They should find something else to replace it, at least for a time, like they did with Brutal Love during the Trilogy.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 10:39 PM, Insomniac186 said:

I'm fine with the mix of everything but Kerplunk. They were admittedly all stoned when they mixed Kerplunk, which is why it sounds so strange. Although the remastered Reprise reissue was an improvement, it would definitely benefit from a remix. There is a remix out there of 2,000 Light Years Away that was done by Rob Cavallo and Jerry Finn in 1994 that toned up the drums and added some crunch to the guitar tone. I seem to remember someone (I believe Tre) saying that they haven't considered remixing the pre-Dookie material because analog master recordings have to be "baked" to separate the tracks so that they can be digitally mastered. Once they do that, the tapes are no good and can't be put back together. They apparently don't want to do that.

I imagine with today’s AI technology that’s no longer a problem. See the new Beatles track where they lifted John’s vocals off of an old cassette tape with piano. Still not sure if they want to bother to do it but it’s possible now.

• Like 1