Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

15 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Although I'd say Kerplunk! loaded the bases for Dookie to hit the grandslam. 

I love this 💚 Perfect.

• Like 1

:lol: We should make some of those tier lists for all studio albums and then we'd see what's a popular opinion or not. I did mine a while back 😬

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think the first album/EPs (and Kerplunk too really) grow on you. When I first listened to the early stuff the lower recording quality was very noticeable and jarring compared to the high quality production of the later stuff and it distracted from everything else about the songs and didn't sound good. Plus the songs are rather simple so they sounded quite samey at first. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to listen to it as much as later albums. But with repeated listens I stopped noticing the difference in recording quality, and I started to notice the good stuff about the songs and nuances between them instead and grew to love them. I think there's some really good music and lyrics there, cute and heartfelt love songs, some very thoughtful stuff for such young kids on songs like 16 or Road to Acceptance, and some really nice riffs and guitar solos.

I never really had that reaction with the production on those records. At the time I got into that stuff there was a huge wait period because there was some dispute with Lookout records. 

Before I actually downloaded the tracks I actually saw the songs being played in those old live videos between 1990-1993 so I could already sing along to the songs and I just came to expect lower quality from the songs at that time. Not to mention I also was listening to Operation Ivy too so I just got used to the whole Lookout Records sound and vibe. 

I remember those reissues were two of the most anticipated albums of the year for my group of friends at the time. We had a blast first spinning the 1039 compilation for the first time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I never really had that reaction with the production on those records. At the time I got into that stuff there was a huge wait period because there was some dispute with Lookout records. 

Before I actually downloaded the tracks I actually saw the songs being played in those old live videos between 1990-1993 so I could already sing along to the songs and I just came to expect lower quality from the songs at that time. Not to mention I also was listening to Operation Ivy too so I just got used to the whole Lookout Records sound and vibe. 

I remember those reissues were two of the most anticipated albums of the year for my group of friends at the time. We had a blast first spinning the 1039 compilation for the first time. 

I'd never heard the old stuff before at all, not even live footage, the only contact with "old" Green Day I'd had was reading some quoted lyrics in a biography. Didn't have the internet yet and I was just buying all the albums one after the other when I could find them. So when I got to Kerplunk although I was very happy to hear it (I love lyrics and I will overlook a lot to hear good ones - also I was amazed to even find it) the quality really sounded bad compared to the newer albums, and then the same again with 1039/SOSH. 

Didn't take long to get used to it though, I soon stopped noticing/being distracted by it. Also 1039 was how I first saw/heard early Green Day live footage! Had a CD rom included, it was awesome.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hermione said:

Also 1039 was how I first saw/heard early Green Day live footage! Had a CD rom included, it was awesome.

I totally forgot about the little bonuses that were on some of the releases back then haha 

I'm pretty sure American Idiot also had ringtones as a bonus on the disc around that time

• 1 month later...

A little boy named train is probably the worst GD song - even Youngblood is better - at least is kinda fun live.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, The Insider said:

A little boy named train is probably the worst GD song - even Youngblood is better - at least is kinda fun live.

I know one person on here who will disagree, but I think everyone else is on your side 😂

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 1:39 AM, Hermione said:

I think the first album/EPs (and Kerplunk too really) grow on you. When I first listened to the early stuff the lower recording quality was very noticeable and jarring compared to the high quality production of the later stuff and it distracted from everything else about the songs and didn't sound good. Plus the songs are rather simple so they sounded quite samey at first. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to listen to it as much as later albums. But with repeated listens I stopped noticing the difference in recording quality, and I started to notice the good stuff about the songs and nuances between them instead and grew to love them. I think there's some really good music and lyrics there, cute and heartfelt love songs, some very thoughtful stuff for such young kids on songs like 16 or Road to Acceptance, and some really nice riffs and guitar solos.

Exactly the same happened to me when I was discovering Green Day around 2006. I got hit by the difference in production of the early stuff vs. everything post dookie. I thought most songs were ok, but besides Road to acceptance, nothing too extraordinary.

Then I learnt about John Kiffmayer, and especially how Tre changed the game for this band. At the same time, I was discovering live stuff (thanks GDT). My thoughts about how meh were the 39S songs disappeared when I heard Tre drumming them. I mean, there is At the library in the record, and At the library on Radio Daze or McGregors 92. The quality songwriting was there all the time. It just needed an extra push. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I know one person on here who will disagree, but I think everyone else is on your side 😂

That's what Im doing - trying to create some banter outside that clusterfuck thread. 

Although I am a little concerned about the new album - how BJ can give us Bang Bang, Forever Now & Youngblood on the same album blows my mind🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Insider said:

That's what Im doing - trying to create some banter outside that clusterfuck thread. 

Although I am a little concerned about the new album - how BJ can give us Bang Bang, Forever Now & Youngblood on the same album blows my mind🤣

Whoa whoa whoa okay, Hold on. I don’t want to assume anything here, so what are you trying to say about Bang Bang and Forever Now?

27 minutes ago, The Insider said:

Troublemaker is probably their worst one imo

1 minute ago, Nightlife said:

Troublemaker is probably their worst one imo

Its probably one of the most discussed on this thread.

The trilogy is certainly a unique era.

1 minute ago, Zebahar said:

When it’s Time is the only good song that Billie has written about Adrienne

What about Last Night on Earth & Church on Sunday?  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Zebahar said:

Whoa whoa whoa okay, Hold on. I don’t want to assume anything here, so what are you trying to say about Bang Bang and Forever Now?

Clarify - how he can classify Youngblood album worthy when it contains a cracker like Bang Bang & the glorious FN.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Insider said:

What about Last Night on Earth & Church on Sunday?  

And Redundant! Like damn. I love 2000 Light Years Away and Westbound Sign too (although I understand they could be more of an acquired taste since not everyone is super into the early stuff and/or Insomniac). I also love Youngblood and Sweet 16 but I won't argue with anyone there :P 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

And Redundant! Like damn. I love 2000 Light Years Away and Westbound Sign too (although I understand they could be more of an acquired taste since not everyone is super into the early stuff and/or Insomniac). I also love Youngblood and Sweet 16 but I won't argue with anyone there :P 

Imagine someone writing that lyric for you

"I love yous not enough Im lost for words"❤️

@Hermione you have to give me something you don't like guuurrrl.🤣

• Like 3

Little boy named train is cool. I played it with my cover band and it kick ass. Maybe drumming is a tad sloppy.  

But lyric wise, reflexive BJ is best BJ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Little boy named train is cool. I played it with my cover band and it kick ass. Maybe drumming is a tad sloppy.  

I would say the lyrics are sloppy - I understand he is being reflective but it totally misses the mark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

I second this. LBNT is fantastic

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Insider said:

Imagine someone writing that lyric for you

"I love yous not enough Im lost for words"❤️

@Hermione you have to give me something you don't like guuurrrl.🤣

:lol: I'm not that keen on Last of the American Girls, ok??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zebahar said:

When it’s Time is the only good song that Billie has written about Adrienne

I totally disagree, I find it so excessively saccharine and banal.

5 hours ago, The Insider said:

I miss the times when he had quality control. :( I don't know what happened there, but he just doesn't seem to see a difference between what slaps and complete bullshit. I mean, it's fine to skip songs and enjoy the good ones, but Green Day records used to be top-notch from start to finish. I could accept if stuff like Youngblood was filler but it's not treated that way when it's played live.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I totally disagree, I find it so excessively saccharine and banal.

You’re excessively saccharine and banal!!! 

(Just joking but how dare you speak bad on When It’s Time)

• Like 4