Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Somewhere Now and Forever Now is no real difference than Jesus of Suburbia or Homecoming just instead of 5 mini songs glued together to make one song it’s 3 mini songs glued together to make one song 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:41 AM, MiksuSH said:

I don't usually post but when I do, I always mention something from Trilogy since that's the era I love the most. So, what unpopular opinions I have at the moment?

1) Stray Heart is the worst song in Dos. I've always hated it how boring that song is and live perfomances were never good.

2) Drama Queen is still the worst song Green Day has ever made. It's not even the lyrics only; drums don't offer anything, guitar solo is generic, song is too slow and god I hate Billie's singing in that song.

3) I cringe everytime I hear ''My name is Billie and I'm freaking out'' line. I understand word ''cringe'' is used a lot nowadays, but holy god it's so bad it might even be the worst lyric Billie has ever made. Yes, even more bad than any of Drama Queen or in Trilogy overall.

4) Who Wrote Holden Caulfield should be played every show.

5) Even though I love Wild One, it should have been faster. 1.25 speed sounds fantastic. Actually when I think about it, a lot of songs from Trilogy should've been faster, such as Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wow! That's Loud and Stay the Night. They all sound good with 1.10 speed.

6) I hate every The Longshot song.

7) Stay the Night, Nuclear Family and Fell for You should've been only singles from Uno. I still don't get it why Oh Love was the one they thought it would be best lead single from that album and Let Yourself Go didn't work as single at all and Kill the DJ has the worst music video I've ever seen.

8 ) Restless Heart Syndrome is definitely my favorite from 21st Century Breakdown. Great album with great songs, but I've always liked RHS the most.

9) She is the best song what uses only D, C and G chords. Still amazing how they made that work.

10) If we're talking about older songs, At the Library is definitely the best song from pre-Dookie era. Wish they would play it more or atleast have professional live recording from it (since only good versions YouTube has to offer are from 2009 and 2012 and they are all filmed with phone).

11) I will be really sad if they won't ever play 21st Century Breakdown again. I fucking love that song and it's fantastic opener, even better than 99 Revolutions (as a opener).

12) This is not unpopular opinion, but I'm still wondering how ''I'm Alright'' would've sounded and if it would possibly been another sad song in Trilogy.

13) I won't be sad if they don't play any stuff from American Idiot ever again. I love the album and I love every song from it, but it would be cool to hear more stuff from 21st Century Breakdown and obviously from Trilogy aswell.

I disagree with your first point the most. That song is fantastic and I don't understand how it could be interpreted as boring. One of the trilogy's best tracks

I'm inclined to agree with your second point. Probably not their worst, I can think of a few others I'd probably choose as the worst over Drama Queen but it's such a boring, uninteresting song. Still though, one of the few filler songs on the trilogy imo.

I definitely agree with 8), 11) and 13) but I'm not sure these are even unpopular tbh.

Why do you hate all The Longshot songs? I don't think The Longshot was that good of a project but I still enjoy it for what it is and I don't see anything here worth hating

• Like 1

I don't hate The Longshot I just don't find the songs that interesting. The project is very meh to me. The songs are okay and I don't mind listening to them, but I think there are better side projects.

Lazy Bones is a God Tier Green Day song. IMO It’s the best Track on the Trilogy. Maybe I’m reading into it too much, but I always felt like it’s a modern Basket Case(peep the throw back to Dookie with the “my mind is playing tricks on me” lyric). 

Longshot is the best Billie side project FBHT is the best GD side project (I don’t consider Longshot to be a GD side project) 

• Like 3

Sweet 16 and Carpe Diem are worse songs than Nightlife ft. Lady Cobra. I think the effect on Billies vocals is semi-annoying and off putting but other than it’s an ok song. The lyrics are just as “cringey” as the rest of Trilogy so it doesn’t really stand out as much to me as it does to other people. 

I'm gonna go and say it but my #1 unpopular Green Day opinion has sparked several discussions in my personal life and it's that "Green Day is underrated". 

This is always an uproar when I bring this up because people look at their platinum certifications, grammy awards and they feel like they've been able to maintain a high level of mainstream interest atleast between 94 to 2009 anyways. 

I always carry on to explain that I'm referring mostly to albums like Kerplunk!, Insomniac and Warning and I do think that the band has a lot of great songs that seem to be overlooked. Not to mention that for a band that has such a wide variety of songs I often see people attempting to pigeonhole them into specific categories based on their experience or memory of the band. 

I remember getting into an argument with an old friend that had a ticket to the show. She said she wasn't at all excited about going to the show and I told her you're going to be pleasantly surprised but she insisted it was "just Green Day. I like some songs but it's not a big deal" Needless to say her tune changed quite quickly and ended up being a huge supporter of the band and went on to buy some albums etc.  

• Like 4

They're regarded as popular but they're not seen as an artistically valuable band. I mean, Idiot was critically well acclaimed, but mainly they seem to be looked down on as a comercially successful band that does simple pop music for teenagers.

• Like 1

I can kinda get it when you look at all of their recent singles

AI's singles were great and most people really liked them, both in the fandom and the mainstream. But you don't really appreciate them enough until you understand them in context with the album.

21CB's most popular singles, 21 Guns and KYE are arguably the weakest of the album imo and what most people heard of this album. The rest of the album is amazing and those who never listened to the rest of it missed out on a lot of great music.

The trilogy was a mixed bag, including the lead single Oh Love which was the only track that did anything in terms of charting and airplay. I love Oh Love but it's not anything great in terms of lyrics or musical ambition which is what Green Day has been known for. Kill the DJ was also received even harsher than Oh Love by a lot of casual listeners and The Forgotten being in Twilight was an instant turnoff for many

RevRad's singles weren't heard by many in the mainstream. Some casual listeners I heard didn't like Still Breathing

Looking at the deep cuts for GD, there's so much more to get from GD outside of the singles. Not that the singles aren't great

• Like 1

I honestly think that "Little Boy Named Train" is a ridiculously unnecessary song. I always skip it. For me, it's just needless, makes little sense, and feels very repetitive. @Little Boy Named Airplane pls roast me but don't kill me 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, maryjanewhatsername said:

I honestly think that "Little Boy Named Train" is a ridiculously unnecessary song. I always skip it. For me, it's just needless, makes little sense, and feels very repetitive. @Little Boy Named Airplane pls roast me but don't kill me 

Ahaha :P

It's not my favorite song. I like the song but that's it. I just needed a nickname and I had no idea how to call myself on GDC 😎

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, W_FInkThePlatypusHunter said:

Sweet 16 and Carpe Diem are worse songs than Nightlife ft. Lady Cobra. I think the effect on Billies vocals is semi-annoying and off putting but other than it’s an ok song. The lyrics are just as “cringey” as the rest of Trilogy so it doesn’t really stand out as much to me as it does to other people. 

I think that the vision the band had actually fit the themes for the albums but the execution was poor. For example, I think Sweet 16 had a very cool Beach Boys vibe but the production and the songwriting behind it didn't live up to what the vision was. I would say the same for Kill The DJ as well.

Carpe Diem has a really good rise in the chorus but essentially would need to be reworked as an entire new song for it to work effectively.  If you added some reverb and isolation to the guitar in the verse it may have sounded better. The guitar sounds for the trilogy sounded choppy and muddy and it hurt the songs and killed the vision for them. 

Lastly, Nightlife is arguably one of Mike's best recent basslines but Lady Cobra kills the entire song. If you took her out and reworked it then it would be better as well. 

I really love Little Boy Named Train. I would love them to play it if they play some trilogy songs in the future. Billie said in an interview that this song was so him. I'm thinking of making a new GD tattoo and thought about a rat inside a maze, I would love drawing that and then getting it tattooed :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

"The 'Shot" is the most cringy middle aged man sounding band nickname I've ever heard and I refuse to use it

Use where? :lol: "the most cringy middle aged man" totally sounds like Billie though

Speaking of cringy, I love how Billie spells the Longshot: The Longshaaat. (I heard it like that in that podcast he made a little while ago)

• Like 1

To me they'll always be The Longshit since at least 75% of the time I'm trying to spell Longshot that's what I write out first.

Dookie is definitely worse than kerplunk and insomniac it just has better singles. 

Dos is the least bad album in the terrible trilogy. 

Longshot is hilariously generic and boring don't get the love for them at all. 

Tre and Mike have stepped up in the last two releases (revrad and trilogy) and Billie is the one screwing the band. His lyrics are mediocre and cringy except from moments of brilliance. His guitar work hasn't been special ether. On the contrary Mike's bass lines have been some of the best of his career especially in the trilogy and Tres drumming has been excellent in almost every release. Billie has always been the dynamic of the band with his guitar melodies and great poetic or in your face lyrics. So when he's so shitte even the rest of the band shinning they can't save the band. 

• Sad 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Ahaha :P

It's not my favorite song. I like the song but that's it. I just needed a nickname and I had no idea how to call myself on GDC 😎

Damn I was hoping for a sick roast :lol: I get it though, coming up with a username for this place required a thought process I wasn't prepared for :lol: 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, petros said:

Longshot is hilariously generic and boring don't get the love for them at all. 

I actually kind of agree here. I really don't get the hype for them. I don't think they're bad. The album is decent, but it doesn't really do much for me. It sounds like stuff I've heard before and some of it is pretty bland. Very little of The Longshot stuck with me after hearing the album. It's great that Billie is so keen on different side projects, but this one is not as interesting or fun as The Network or FBHT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kaylubd said:

I actually kind of agree here. I really don't get the hype for them. I don't think they're bad. The album is decent, but it doesn't really do much for me. It sounds like stuff I've heard before and some of it is pretty bland. Very little of The Longshot stuck with me after hearing the album. It's great that Billie is so keen on different side projects, but this one is not as interesting or fun as The Network or FBHT. 

Exactly my opinion too. I don't think it's bad. It's just a very generic album. I believe Billie can shit Longshot albums every month if he wanted to. It's so close to his comfort zone musically and lyrically. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, petros said:

Exactly my opinion too. I don't think it's bad. It's just aver generic album. I believe Billie can shit Longshot albums every month if he wanted to. It's so close to his comfort zone musically and lyrically. 

That may be true, but he’s so damn good at it I still find the Longshot songs catchy and fun. As you say he can do it with his eyes closed and that’s something we should appreciate. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That may be true, but he’s so damn good at it I still find the Longshot songs catchy and fun. As you say he can do it with his eyes closed and that’s something we should appreciate. 

Yeah I totally get that. I can see why people can like this but as I said I can't understand how people love it without feeling off because of how unoriginal it is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, petros said:

Yeah I totally get that. I can see why people can like this but as I said I can't understand how people love it without feeling off because of how unoriginal it is. 

Besides it being catchy, I also think he’s got some great, personal lyrics in songs like Chasing A Ghost, Happiness, Cult Hero, Soul Surrender and Turn Me Loose. Much better than most of RevRad honestly so maybe that’s an unpopular opinion I’ll throw out there. Longshot lyrics are better than RevRad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Besides it being catchy, I also think he’s got some great, personal lyrics in songs like Chasing A Ghost, Happiness, Cult Hero, Soul Surrender and Turn Me Loose. Much better than most of RevRad honestly so maybe that’s an unpopular opinion I’ll throw out there. Longshot lyrics are better than RevRad. 

Yes, they definitely are better. RevRad lyrics aren't that bad but there's a lot of uninspired lines. Longshot is a lot less clichéd.

• Like 1