Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

2 hours ago, Nightlife said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I've never seen anyone mention it.. I can't stand Billies guitar solo in American Idiot when they play it live. It doesn't sound good at all to me and when you're at the show it seems like it goes on forever

I've heard some versions live that were pretty bad as well. Not just with the length but they just didn't sound great overall. 

I don't mind if they go on a bit with an extended solo if it sounds great but keep it short. I've seen some where he goes on and on and then goes into the call & response as well. 

19 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I've heard some versions live that were pretty bad as well. Not just with the length but they just didn't sound great overall. 

I don't mind if they go on a bit with an extended solo if it sounds great but keep it short. I've seen some where he goes on and on and then goes into the call & response as well. 

Speaking of call and response... How does everyone feel about extensive "heeeeeyyyyyoooooooh" during shows? Fun crowd participation or corny overkill that takes up too time they could spend playing more songs?

14 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Speaking of call and response... How does everyone feel about extensive "heeeeeyyyyyoooooooh" during shows? Fun crowd participation or corny overkill that takes up too time they could spend playing more songs?

Fun crowd participation. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

I don't want him to stop but yeah, it does take up way too much time. The fact that their show is so thought out that there's basically no surprises bothers me way more though. 

19 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Corny overkill that takes up too much time.

In a similar way, too many songs have been extended live in a show. Used to just be Paper Lanterns. Then it was King for a Day. But now in any given setlist you have someone being pulled onstage for Know Your Enemy, Longview and Knowledge, water cannons and T-shirts during 2000 Light Years Away, extended tomfoolery and rant during KFAD, extended band intros during Minority, and that’s not to mention all the hey-oh’s throughout nearly every song, a long guitar solo in AI and a typical 9 minute Jesus of Suburbia. So much of the show is dragged out now they should scale it back and they could easily fit 4-5 more songs in the same span of time.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

I think there's been times where it's just gone too far and gone for too long. At this point it can be predictable. I can participate at a Green Day show on autopilot at this point 

I think if it's done correctly it's a great thing. Everyone's up on their feet and building up energy at the venue. 

He does too much of it and the rants are also a bit too much. I don't care about hearing about peace and love instead of a song.

21 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

He does too much of it and the rants are also a bit too much. I don't care about hearing about peace and love instead of a song.

How about “This is not a party. It’s a celebratiiiooonnnn!!!” How many years has he been doing that? 

• Sad 1

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

How about “This is not a party. It’s a celebratiiiooonnnn!!!” How many years has he been doing that? 

It's joy it's joy it's joy joy joy JOY

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

He gave some vague rant about living in the moment and not having phones out at the NJ show in 2017

Spoiler

didnt stop me from sending my friend snaps of some of our favorite songs tho sorrynotsorrybillie :ninja:

12 minutes ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

He gave some vague rant about living in the moment and not having phones out at the NJ show in 2017

Hide contents

didnt stop me from sending my friend snaps of some of our favorite songs tho sorrynotsorrybillie :ninja:

He said that every show :lol: I agree with it but the show is 100% scripted haha

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

He said that every show :lol: I agree with it but the show is 100% scripted haha

It is, and some of his rants have carried over through several tours now. He needs new banter. Here’s a question for y’all, if you could only choose one would you rather:

A) Get the same setlist as RevRad (with the exception of the new songs) but completely new banter and crowd interaction, or

B) Get a completely changed up setlist but the exact same hey-oh’s rants and predictable shtick? 

So which is it, speechless or redundant? 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

I think he does that to catch some breath. If it wasn't for the 'hey ohs' and the shout (shit) medley, the show will be shorter

Different setlist because the scripted BS is easy to tune out and a great time to drink water and snap a couple of photos. 

10 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It is, and some of his rants have carried over through several tours now. He needs new banter. Here’s a question for y’all, if you could only choose one would you rather:

A) Get the same setlist as RevRad (with the exception of the new songs) but completely new banter and crowd interaction, or

B) Get a completely changed up setlist but the exact same hey-oh’s rants and predictable shtick? 

A different setlist everynight. The have putting aside tons of good music for too long

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

"speechless or redundant" 😂 👌 I'd definitely go with the setlist shake up. I can live with the canned banter, it's almost part of the fun at this point haha. 

44 minutes ago, Alf said:

A different setlist everynight. The have putting aside tons of good music for too long

That’s rude of you to want a different setlist each night that’s not reasonable I mean who do you think they are? Pearl Jam? As if! 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

That’s rude of you to want a different setlist each night that’s not reasonable I mean who do you think they are? Pearl Jam? As if! 

They have better songs than PJ 😂😂 but they are lazy

Also why do they slightly change the setlist up randomly for certain shows? Like at Corona Capital. Geek Stink Breath, Nice Guys Finish Last, F.O.D. 

I mean come on, are we supposed to believe they are more worthy of a more varied lineup than literally any other fan at ANY OTHER concert?

Just now, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Also why do they slightly change the setlist up for certain shows? Like at Corona Capital. Geek Stink Breath, Nice Guys Finish Last, F.O.D. 

I mean come on, are we supposed to believe they are more worthy of a more varied lineup than literally any other fan at ANY OTHER concert?

I don't think they chose the setlist because of the city. I just think they play different songs when they want and they don't really care. And it's okay like that. 

13 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I don't think they chose the setlist because of the city. I just think they play different songs when they want and they don't really care. And it's okay like that. 

I suppose. But, they always just so happen to change it up when they’re out of the U.S. As if they don’t think the fans in their own country appreciate them enough. Now I know i’m over-analyzing things, but it kind of hits me the wrong way as someone who practically injects this band into my bloodstream.

12 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I suppose. But, they always just so happen to change it up when they’re out of the U.S. As if they don’t think the fans in their own country appreciate them enough. Now I know i’m over-analyzing things, but it kind of hits me the wrong way as someone who practically injects this band into my bloodstream.

I don’t think you’re imagining it. South America always gets the best setlists.  I’ve heard them say the audiences in Europe and SA are wilder and get more excited over deep tracks where in the US they need to play the favorites to get the crowd riled up or they don’t get excited. 

34 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think you’re imagining it. South America always gets the best setlists.  I’ve heard them say the audiences in Europe and SA are wilder and get more excited over deep tracks where in the US they need to play the favorites to get the crowd riled up or they don’t get excited. 

brb gettin a passport to south america next tour

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

God shame the U.S.A.