Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

3 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Unpopular opinion: "Wow That's Loud!" is actually pretty rad. :lol:

Who could disagree with this??

• Like 1

Wow! That's Loud is fabulous. I love the concept of describing the character's personality and his feelings for her through her bright clothes too. The lyrics are great.

It definitely used to be an unpopular opinion though. :(

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Wow! That's Loud is fabulous. I love the concept of describing the character's personality and his feelings for her through her bright clothes too. The lyrics are actually great.

It definitely used to be an unpopular opinion though. :(

Dos is the best and most consistent of the trilogy. Just ignore nightlife

• Like 1

I wanna talk about one paradox which I always hated. 

Green Day is my favourite band. But they are the guys who are guilty of one of the blandest and crappiest music genres ever - pop punk. All these New Found Glories, Bowling For Soups, All Time Lows and other same bands with the same cheesy voice who pretend to be very hard (but of course not) are all by no means more or less inspired by Green Day, And that's a pity. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

I wanna talk about one paradox which I always hated. 

Green Day is my favourite band. But they are the guys who are guilty of the blandest and crappiest music genres ever - pop punk. All these New Found Glories, Bowling For Soups, All Time Lows and other same bands with the same cheesy voice who pretend to be very hard (but of course not) are all by no means more or less inspired by Green Day, And that's a pity. 

Yeah. Green Day is an awesome band but the rest of pop punk is uninteresting and I can't distinguish 99% of the bands they inspired.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It's weird though because pop punk bands that say they're inspired by Green Day don't even sound like them. They all sound more like Blink 182/Southern Californian bands. Green Day aren't the ones responsible for what came to be that generic pop punk sound that those bands share, they don't sound like that.

Yeah, I also never understood why being the idols of the whole generation Green Day never really influenced some famous group's sound. Not good or bad, just strange. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shtrudel said:

I'm fine with Green Day not making new music anymore.

I wouldn't mind that as long as they'd have other projects.

10 minutes ago, duckez said:

Troublemaker has good lyrics

It does!

"Easy come and go, gonna go it alone
Knock yourself out with a shot of patron
I wouldn't say I'm straight 'cause I'm bent out of shape
From now till death do we party just before it's too late"

are genuinely great lyrics. Its just "BMXcellent tits" and "Tattoo of a pig sniffing glue" hold it back xP

• Like 3

I don't usually post but when I do, I always mention something from Trilogy since that's the era I love the most. So, what unpopular opinions I have at the moment?

1) Stray Heart is the worst song in Dos. I've always hated it how boring that song is and live perfomances were never good.

2) Drama Queen is still the worst song Green Day has ever made. It's not even the lyrics only; drums don't offer anything, guitar solo is generic, song is too slow and god I hate Billie's singing in that song.

3) I cringe everytime I hear ''My name is Billie and I'm freaking out'' line. I understand word ''cringe'' is used a lot nowadays, but holy god it's so bad it might even be the worst lyric Billie has ever made. Yes, even more bad than any of Drama Queen or in Trilogy overall.

4) Who Wrote Holden Caulfield should be played every show.

5) Even though I love Wild One, it should have been faster. 1.25 speed sounds fantastic. Actually when I think about it, a lot of songs from Trilogy should've been faster, such as Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wow! That's Loud and Stay the Night. They all sound good with 1.10 speed.

6) I hate every The Longshot song.

7) Stay the Night, Nuclear Family and Fell for You should've been only singles from Uno. I still don't get it why Oh Love was the one they thought it would be best lead single from that album and Let Yourself Go didn't work as single at all and Kill the DJ has the worst music video I've ever seen.

8 ) Restless Heart Syndrome is definitely my favorite from 21st Century Breakdown. Great album with great songs, but I've always liked RHS the most.

9) She is the best song what uses only D, C and G chords. Still amazing how they made that work.

10) If we're talking about older songs, At the Library is definitely the best song from pre-Dookie era. Wish they would play it more or atleast have professional live recording from it (since only good versions YouTube has to offer are from 2009 and 2012 and they are all filmed with phone).

11) I will be really sad if they won't ever play 21st Century Breakdown again. I fucking love that song and it's fantastic opener, even better than 99 Revolutions (as a opener).

12) This is not unpopular opinion, but I'm still wondering how ''I'm Alright'' would've sounded and if it would possibly been another sad song in Trilogy.

13) I won't be sad if they don't play any stuff from American Idiot ever again. I love the album and I love every song from it, but it would be cool to hear more stuff from 21st Century Breakdown and obviously from Trilogy aswell.

Edited by MiksuSH

8 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

It does!

"Easy come and go, gonna go it alone
Knock yourself out with a shot of patron
I wouldn't say I'm straight 'cause I'm bent out of shape
From now till death do we party just before it's too late"

are genuinely great lyrics. Its just "BMXcellent tits" and "Tattoo of a pig sniffing glue" hold it back xP

I honestly have never bothered to look up the lyrics to most Green Day songs, so it's really just a guessing game a lot of the time. Then one day I learn what they actually are and it's a huge revelation. Had no idea that the lyric was "BMXcellent TITS". :lol:

• Haha 1

All I have from the Gods Favorite Band collection is Back in the USA (which I cant remember if I actually bought it, I might have been on the Apple Music trial already) and this t shirt, which was a birthday gift anyway:

Spoiler

11295719_hi?$pdp_hero_standard$

I wasn't even gonna bother with ordinary world because I dont give two shits about Miranda Lambert

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MiksuSH said:

3) I cringe everytime I hear ''My name is Billie and I'm freaking out'' line. I understand word ''cringe'' is used a lot nowadays, but holy god it's so bad it might even be the worst lyric Billie has ever made. Yes, even more bad than any of Drama Queen or in Trilogy overall.

I completely agree with this one

4 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

You wouldn't enjoy AA a lot :lol:

3 hours ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

All I have from the Gods Favorite Band collection is Back in the USA (which I cant remember if I actually bought it, I might have been on the Apple Music trial already) and this t shirt, which was a birthday gift anyway:

Reveal hidden contents

11295719_hi?$pdp_hero_standard$

Nice shirt. The church-y merch is cool in general.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

church-y merch

this made me chuckle more than it probably should!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

In fact I agree the line is super awkward, but it's not cringy in the way BMX-cellent tits are. It seems it's a common opinion that it's uncomfortable or idk kind of unsettling, but that doesn't make it a bad line. After all, the line describes an awkward situation, so the feelings it invokes are spot on :P

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MiksuSH said:

1) Stray Heart is the worst song in Dos. I've always hated it how boring that song is and live perfomances were never good.

5) Even though I love Wild One, it should have been faster. 1.25 speed sounds fantastic. Actually when I think about it, a lot of songs from Trilogy should've been faster, such as Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Wow! That's Loud and Stay the Night. They all sound good with 1.10 speed.

7) Stay the Night, Nuclear Family and Fell for You should've been only singles from Uno. I still don't get it why Oh Love was the one they thought it would be best lead single from that album and Let Yourself Go didn't work as single at all and Kill the DJ has the worst music video I've ever seen.

11) I will be really sad if they won't ever play 21st Century Breakdown again. I fucking love that song and it's fantastic opener, even better than 99 Revolutions (as a opener).

12) This is not unpopular opinion, but I'm still wondering how ''I'm Alright'' would've sounded and if it would possibly been another sad song in Trilogy.

13) I won't be sad if they don't play any stuff from American Idiot ever again. I love the album and I love every song from it, but it would be cool to hear more stuff from 21st Century Breakdown and obviously from Trilogy aswell.

I agree with all of these. I’m sorry you don’t like The Longshot songs but that’s why they’re a good side project, I guess.  I like At the Library too I wish they played it more often now, it’s near the top for me but not my favorite Lookout era song (that would be Going to Pasalaqua). 

I really want to hear more 21CB songs live than AI songs at this point because I feel the AI stuff has been overplayed. 

I definitely think Oh Love was a bad choice for a single. With that slow laggy intro I thought it dragged every time they played it on TV for promotion.  Stay the Night has such great energy it would have been better. 

(And I really like “My name is Billie...” for the reasons mentioned above and for it’s deeper reference)

On 5/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, Shtrudel said:

I'm fine with Green Day not making new music anymore.

Despite this being an unpopular opinion I would say their is actually some validity to this. Rev Rad has many of the characteristics that are seen on band's last albums. Rev Rad is a safe play and doesn't necessary push them into another territory. It just concludes all the territories they've conquered in the past in one album. 

Rush's final album Clockwork Angels does the exact same thing, it brought them back full circle. You hear a little bit of each era of Rush on one cohesive and focused album. 

I would still like to see Green Day make new music but just less often. Warning to American Idiot was 4 years and American Idiot to 21cb was 5. I think they felt pressured to push out more music at a quicker rate at the turn of the decade. It's evident on the trilogy as you can hear from the lyrics most songs were released before they were at maturity.

Nuclear Family is a perfect example of this. It actually could have been a decent song if Billie ironed out the goofy lyrics in it. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I've never seen anyone mention it.. I can't stand Billies guitar solo in American Idiot when they play it live. It doesn't sound good at all to me and when you're at the show it seems like it goes on forever

28 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I've never seen anyone mention it.. I can't stand Billies guitar solo in American Idiot when they play it live. It doesn't sound good at all to me and when you're at the show it seems like it goes on forever

I concur.