Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Dunno if unpopular since apparently even Billie agrees with me on this, but i hate that the album's called Dookie and it makes me feel weird when i have to bring the album up to another person who's never heard green day :P

12 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Dunno if unpopular since apparently even Billie agrees with me on this, but i hate that the album's called Dookie and it makes me feel weird when i have to bring the album up to another person who's never heard green day :P

At least they didn't go with the original idea of Liquid Dookie :P 

I think most people in the UK aren't aware of the meaning of the word dookie so here it's not a problem. I guess if the album was called "Poo" or something it would be quite embarrassing to mention :lol:  

• Like 1

Speaking of album titles, I don't get why Billie has such regrets over choosing Insomniac instead of 'Jesus Christ Supermarket'. Insomniac is way better, happy they went with that!

31 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

Speaking of album titles, I don't get why Billie has such regrets over choosing Insomniac instead of 'Jesus Christ Supermarket'. Insomniac is way better, happy they went with that!

First of all, what the hell does that even mean??

Secondly, how does that fit in to the content of the album? I heard they were gonna call the album Tight Wad Hill too which isn't as good as Insomniac but still a hell of a lot better than "Jesus Christ Supermarket".

I like Insomniac as an album title, especially considering the content of the album

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I like Insomniac as an album title, especially considering the content of the album

Same. It fits so well. 

He probably doesn't really regret it and just wanted to mention the title Jesus Christ Supermarket :P 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

First of all, what the hell does that even mean??

Secondly, how does that fit in to the content of the album? I heard they were gonna call the album Tight Wad Hill too which isn't as good as Insomniac but still a hell of a lot better than "Jesus Christ Supermarket".

Jesus Christ Supermarket is clearly a nickname for Wal Mart 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think it's a fantastic name but doesn't really suit the album's topics like Insomniac does, Jesus Christ Supermarket to me sounds like it'd be an album of biting social commentary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually like the 'always fuck fucking with my head now' part in Let Yourself Go. I've only seen people hating on it so I guess it's a fairly unpopular opinion. 

1 minute ago, Nightlife said:

I actually like the 'always fuck fucking with my head now' part in Let Yourself Go. I've only seen people hating on it so I guess it's a fairly unpopular opinion. 

It's better than the lyrics they have in the demo version of the song

4 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

It beats the version on Demolicious that’s for sure

ETA: ha! @Christian's Inferno! we had the same thought at the same time 😁

• Haha 1

So many people hate on Uno, but it's my favorite of the trilogy. It's loud, fast, and just fun. No not every song is a hit and the lyrics aren't amazing, but that's okay. It's still a blast to listen to!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

So many people hate on Uno, but it's my favorite of the trilogy. It's loud, fast, and just fun. No not every song is a hit and the lyrics aren't amazing, but that's okay. It's still a blast to listen to!

I agree it's the best out of the trilogy. I don't hate on Uno specifically. I'm just not a fan of the trilogy in general. I feel like the trilogy is the weakest of the Green Day albums because of overall sound and lyrical content. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I think Dos is the best of the trilogy. Most musically interesting, has some good lyrics at places, great highlights and no real low points (except I don't care for See You Tonight at all)

Between Uno and Tré, I think Tré has 2 major highlights with Brutal Love and X-Kid and Tré is overall better lyrically, but Tré also has the worst songs in the trilogy imo (Drama Queen, I'm not that keen on Missing You either). While Uno has its low points, I rarely if ever skip any song on Uno

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think Dos is the best of the trilogy. Most musically interesting, has some good lyrics at places, great highlights and no real low points (except I don't care for See You Tonight at all)

Between Uno and Tré, I think Tré has 2 major highlights with Brutal Love and X-Kid and Tré is overall better lyrically, but Tré also has the worst songs in the trilogy imo (Drama Queen, I'm not that keen on Missing You either). While Uno has its low points, I rarely if ever skip any song on Uno

While Dos isn't my favorite overall I will agree it's got some killer songs while Tre has some songs with better lyrics. It's just that I can't listen to those albums all the way through. But I rarely skip anything on Uno. 

3 minutes ago, disappearing_boy_39 said:

I can understand why Billie Joe doesn't always want to revisit these songs on tour. But it's a shame that some people view these albums as filler. It's just another chapter in the story of Green Day. And I look forward to many more chapters!

He played a few of them on the Longshot tour last spring/summer (stay the night, fell for you, & wild one), so HE might be ready to revisit them for a GD tour, but are Mike and Tre?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DadBod said:

He played a few of them on the Longshot tour last spring/summer (stay the night, fell for you, & wild one), so HE might be ready to revisit them for a GD tour, but are Mike and Tre?

Yeah, it seems like Mike and Tre the way they talk about the Trilogy view the whole power pop experiment as a failed one, but I don’t think Billie does. With the demo release and the remix and playing them with The Longshot I think he wants to revisit and fix certain things but he loves the songs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah, it seems like Mike and Tre the way they talk about the Trilogy view the whole power pop experiment as a failed one, but I don’t think Billie does. With the demo release and the remix and playing them with The Longshot I think he wants to revisit and fix certain things but he loves the songs. 

I did catch The Longshot in NYC last year and yes, he played some Trilogy songs which was greatly appreciated! I was hoping those songs would have received more attention on the 99 Revolutions tour. I think Billie feels a bit more comfortable playing these for die-hard fans. Maybe for Green Day arena shows, he feels a bit more bound to the hits.

Are there any articles you have in mind where Mike and Tre talk negatively about the trilogy? They usually seem to stand by it (especially Mike in Quatro). But in an NME interview, Billie Joe has said:

Those records have absolutely no direction to them. It was about being prolific for the sake of it. So we were just going and going and going...

The only negative I can remember was Mike talking about how they weren't the easiest songs to want to play (because of Billie's bad times when they recorded them and how he sang about it in them) but I think even then he said something about maybe revisiting more of them when more time had passed. I can't remember them saying anything negative about the direction of the music, just that they didn't have the best memories attached to the songs. Might've just missed it though.

• Like 2

They talk about Uno Dos Tre some in this interview: (starts the conversation)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DadBod said:

They talk about Uno Dos Tre some in this interview: (starts the conversation)

I feel like they don't want to talk about the trilogy in that interview :ermm:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I feel like they don't want to talk about the trilogy in that interview :ermm:

I did too. What a way to start off an interview. Maybe if they started off talking about RevRad then went into the trilogy...

• Like 1