Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

54 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I'd kill for a music only version of Nightlife.

Now I wish I had a music only version of every Green Day song

• Like 1

I used to have earphones that broke and somehow played music only version of anything I wanted to listen to. Then I lost them. :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

find the rockband multitracks and go to town in audacity

• Like 2

6 hours ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

find the rockband multitracks and go to town in audacity

Those are great, still a ready to listen to instrumental version of every song would be amazing though

13 hours ago, Hermione said:

I have loads of those! I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the Downloads section for most songs but I got most of mine from Youtube. You hear things you never heard before :D sometimes I'll actually choose the instrumental over the proper version. Jesus of Suburbia is pretty interesting to listen to, and both Viva La Glorias.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeJennsitized said:

I have loads of those! I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the Downloads section for most songs but I got most of mine from Youtube. You hear things you never heard before :D sometimes I'll actually choose the instrumental over the proper version. Jesus of Suburbia is pretty interesting to listen to, and both Viva La Glorias.

Didn't know it was a thing so thanks! I'm going to get them

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Didn't know it was a thing so thanks! I'm going to get them

If you (or anyone!) wants a link, here you go: 

It's been a few years so some might not work but you can just search 'green day instrumental' on YT and get them there too :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@The Insider recommended I put this here from the Random Green Day Thoughts Thread so here it is... What would you guys think of an album of all Mike with Billie being the backing vocals?? I think it would be interesting and pretty damn cool.

• Love 1

I really like Mike's voice, and I'd really really love to hear him sing a song or two, but not the whole album. I'd miss Billie too much, his voice is like the main reason why I started listening to GD.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jengd said:

Honestly, I don’t think Mike has voice for it.  I love Mike and I love the Newtork album where he has a lot of vocals, particularly x-ray hamburger which is pretty much what you describe but while I love it, I don’t think he has enough variation to carry a whole album and that it would be boring to listen to. I think one of the attractions about the network is the novelty value and I think they know it.  I would really love to hear more of their old harmonies again though.

This exactly. We pretty much got that with the Network so we can imagine what that would be like. Mike solos are great for one song but it’s a bit of a novelty like how the Beatles would give Ringo a song to song on every album.  It’s his harmonies I miss. 

• Like 4

On 2/19/2019 at 1:15 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

This exactly. We pretty much got that with the Network so we can imagine what that would be like. Mike solos are great for one song but it’s a bit of a novelty like how the Beatles would give Ringo a song to song on every album.  It’s his harmonies I miss. 

Comparing it to Ringo's Beatles songs is harsh :D 

But yeah as far as singing goes I enjoy Mike most as a back up singer doing harmonies with Billie, he's perfect at that

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Insider said:

If the trilogy was released with proper promotion and a world tour without the time delay of rehab it would not have copped so much flack - especially here.

*listening to Kill the DJ now & its a banger😁

That would make a good alternate  universe suggestion. I still think the three back to back releases would have had declining sales though, just maybe each slightly higher. It was still too much material and wasn’t all of equal quality. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That would make a good alternate  universe suggestion. I still think the three back to back releases would have had declining sales though, just maybe each slightly higher. It was still too much material and wasn’t all of equal quality. 

I'd say not only was it not of equal quality between the three, but they were subpar in comparison to virtually every other Green Day album. In my opinion, the trilogy is weaker lyrically than all the other albums. Also, the song structure itself follows a basis of a few power chords with nearly the same lyrical "layout" for almost every single song. (verse, chorus, bridge, and solo structure) 

This isn't to say that the trilogy isn't wonderful in itself. I still like a lot of the music on the trilogy - but not nearly as much as I like the other albums. I'd say 3 albums in a year was possibly a bit too ambitious. 

This is just my opinion though, and not necessarily the best or most informed opinion. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The songs imo are way better live.

I mean even Youngblood was kinda fun #sorry @Adorkable

3 hours ago, The Insider said:

If the trilogy was released with proper promotion and a world tour without the time delay of rehab it would not have copped so much flack - especially here.

*listening to Kill the DJ now & its a banger😁

I think the same. Remember those times full of excitement. Oh love was a kind of a bummer in first place but the stuff was coming and it was getting a lot better. I mean, I enjoyed pretty much all the stuff they actually played live, because this band is always better live. Wild one still gives me chills.

The sudden halt of promotion due BJ's rant killed the albums before the release of the first one, and it was a huge miss for the casual listeners and all the press. It's sad.

I'd wish those shows at Fillmore would happened. Those would have been remembered even today

• Like 2

The trilogy had some variety, and some really good songs. I think they just tried to be everything all at once and didn't quite pull it off. I just like my distorted guitar too much, not a huge fan of the garage-type stuff, it was a bit too fluffy. Though Brutal Love is a masterpiece

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greendepent said:

I think the same. Remember those times full of excitement. Oh love was a kind of a bummer in first place but the stuff was coming and it was getting a lot better. I mean, I enjoyed pretty much all the stuff they actually played live, because this band is always better live. Wild one still gives me chills.

The sudden halt of promotion due BJ's rant killed the albums before the release of the first one, and it was a huge miss for the casual listeners and all the press. It's sad.

I'd wish those shows at Fillmore would happened. Those would have been remembered even today

Idk why Oh Love was considered a disappointment. I still love that song. One of my favourites from the trilogy. Great choice for a lead single imo

13 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Idk why Oh Love was considered a disappointment. I still love that song. One of my favourites from the trilogy. Great choice for a lead single imo

I think its just because it was the first single. Im sure if they made Nuclear Family or Let Yourself Go or Kill the DJ or any more high energy punky rocky song the first single and made Oh Love the third or fourth one, people'd like it more. People prob mostly prefer the more punky song to be a first single and the more slower one to be a later one. Like how Bang Bang was the first single and Still Breathing was later or AI was an earlier single than Boulevard or whatever,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

I think its just because it was the first single. Im sure if they made Nuclear Family or Let Yourself Go or Kill the DJ or any more high energy punky rocky song the first single and made Oh Love the third or fourth one, people'd like it more. People prob mostly prefer the more punky song to be a first single and the more slower one to be a later one. Like how Bang Bang was the first single and Still Breathing was later or AI was an earlier single than Boulevard or whatever,

I agree. Marketing is key for singles. And people expect more upbeat punk songs from Green Day rather than slower songs, so defying expectations like that worked against Oh Love. 

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with Oh Love and it's still not my fave but I think I'd have been even more disappointed if another song was the first single because in Oh Love the thin guitar/vocals thing actually kind of works :P

I don't think any of the other tracks on Uno would've done as well as a leading single tbh except maybe Let Yourself Go