Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

16 hours ago, Hermione said:

I just don't like the "musical" singing style on it. It's so melodramatic.

I agree for the most part with this, except for Extraordinary Girl. It's a song far more suited to a musical than the album. Everything else though, I VASTLY prefer the originals. 

Don't get me wrong, Billie has an amazing, iconic voice. But I'd love it if maybe Mike sung lead, like, a lot more often than he does currently? Mike's got a great voice too... and I like variety with vocals occasionally too. BUT I'M NOT HATING ON BILLIE OR HIS BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

Don't get me wrong, Billie has an amazing, iconic voice. But I'd love it if maybe Mike sung lead, like, a lot more often than he does currently? Mike's got a great voice too... and I like variety with vocals occasionally too. BUT I'M NOT HATING ON BILLIE OR HIS BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!!

I also really like Mike’s voice. I agree I wouldn’t want him to take over too much, but it would be cool if he got one song per album to sing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

Yup, I'm loving his vocals on I Wanna Be Sedated with The Coverups

• Like 3

On 16/03/2018 at 5:22 PM, Hermione said:

I've only managed to get through the AI musical soundtrack once because it makes me cringe so much. Not my cup of tea at all.

Same, I’ve seen the musical twice and loved it in the full theatre setting but can’t listen to it otherwise.  Nobody sounds better to me doing Green Day material than Green Day.

• Like 3

Yeah I love Mike's voice too. It's probably why I love Dookie and Insomniac so much, on the former he's essentially a co-lead singer since there's so much of him and he's so high in the mix. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, Mike's backing vocals on Dookie are glorious. I actually really like Governator too, it may be a pretty simple song but it's good punk.

• Like 2

Here is an unpopular opinion. I really don't like Mikes voice at all. I find it to be a strange pitch and monotone. I actually think Tre is a much better singer. However, Mike's voice does lend itself to a good back up vocalist for Billie. But as a solo singer, I would rather listen to Youngblood on repeat.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

Here is an unpopular opinion. I really don't like Mikes voice at all. I find it to be a strange pitch and monotone. I actually think Tre is a much better singer. However, Mike's voice does lend itself to a good back up vocalist for Billie. But as a solo singer, I would rather listen to Youngblood on repeat.  

I like to hear it every now and then but he's a much better back up vocalist. I think in terms of lead vocals, he sounds great on American Eulogy but on Governator and Homecoming, he's alright... Nothing spectacular.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I like to hear it every now and then but he's a much better back up vocalist. I think in terms of lead vocals, he sounds great on American Eulogy but on Governator and Homecoming, he's alright... Nothing spectacular.

I agree he is a very good back up vocalist, but as a lead singer, I just don't find his voice pleasant.

• Like 2

I finally got to see the musical a few weeks ago. Are we allowed to share unpopular opinions about that on here? On the whole I absolutely loved it, but I have a few random thoughts:

- I loved loved loved the performance of Favourite Son. It just worked SO perfectly in the context of the musical, and the whole performance they had going with the over the top Uncle Sam spoof on the TV screens and the cheerleaders worked so well. Just had the perfect tone to it, and was one of my favourite performances of the night. I loved it so much that part of me wishes Favourite Son was on the actual album.

- I didn't think Know Your Enemy worked very well. The performance itself was fine, but to me it just didn't seem to fit in well with the story. 

- Too Much Too Soon, I don't know what to make of that one. It fit in well with the story, but it was probably my least favourite performance. I don't know how to describe it, but something about it was a bit off? My boyfriend, who is just a casual Green Day fan commented on that song as well.

- I could potentially prefer the musical version of 21 Guns to the album version. Definitely my favourite performance of the night.

Overall though I really enjoyed the musical, and it's definitely given me a new perspective on the AI album. I'd definitely see it again one day if I had the money.

2 hours ago, bjrules said:

- I loved loved loved the performance of Favourite Son. It just worked SO perfectly in the context of the musical, and the whole performance they had going with the over the top Uncle Sam spoof on the TV screens and the cheerleaders worked so well. Just had the perfect tone to it, and was one of my favourite performances of the night. I loved it so much that part of me wishes Favourite Son was on the actual album.

I agree completely, Favourite Son was amazing.

I mean I love the song in general but still.

23 hours ago, Not a Salad said:

Uno > RevRad.
I'm gonna get killed, aren't I?

Uno > American idiot. 

I'm gonna get killed faster than you I think :D

I'm not really able to think of Uno Dos Tre as standalone albums. But as a trilogy I do also enjoy them even more than American Idiot (trilogy lovers unite :D)

They're so extremely different it's hard to compare them though. Green Day have so many albums now and I like all of them so at this point it's virtually impossible to rank them and I've pretty much given up on it.

• Like 2

Uno is literally my least favourite GD album. I can say Dos > Dookie though. *waits to get killed too* :ninja: 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Not a Salad said:

Uno > RevRad.
I'm gonna get killed, aren't I?

13 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

Uno > American idiot. 

I'm gonna get killed faster than you I think :D

:runaround: WHAAA!?

Sorry but with some of the lyrics on Uno, I can't really agree with either of those things, especially the blasphemous "Uno > American idiot" :lol:

But seriously, I think Uno could've been a fantastic album if some of the lyrics were improved and if they just gave more time to flesh out the songs. Like, a lot of the trilogy songs sound better on Demolicious and that's kind of a problem. Angel Blue is definitely better on Demolicious and that's not the only song from Uno that sounds better on Demolicious. I'd say Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Carpe Diem and Rusty James all sound better on Demolicious too.

P.S - I still like Uno and the rest of the trilogy a lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

:runaround: WHAAA!?

Sorry but with some of the lyrics on Uno, I can't really agree with either of those things, especially the blasphemous "Uno > American idiot" :lol:

But seriously, I think Uno could've been a fantastic album if some of the lyrics were improved and if they just gave more time to flesh out the songs. Like, a lot of the trilogy songs sound better on Demolicious and that's kind of a problem. Angel Blue is definitely better on Demolicious and that's not the only song from Uno that sounds better on Demolicious. I'd say Nuclear Family, Stay the Night, Carpe Diem and Rusty James all sound better on Demolicious too.

P.S - I still like Uno and the rest of the trilogy a lot

Thanks for your PS :D and the "blasphemous"

I love the lyrics in Uno, it's deep and fun at the same time. I remember in a 2012 Interview Billie was talking about Nuclear Family and said "I write this shit, I don't even know what it means" (but I can't find the interview right now) and I find that awesome, the lyrics may not be obvious but they're far from empty. I have a very cool feeling about all the album. Makes me feel good. I love AI but to me it's the most depressive GD album (at least in the way it's recorded) and I can't listen to it too often. Still, I'd rank it right behind Uno. The trilogy / Demolicious debate is endless, and even though I may love some stuff on Demolicious over the trilogy versions, all the songs you've named I prefer them trilogy versions... :P

• Like 1

I feel like Uno is definitely underrated, it's got at least 5 stone cold GD classics on it imo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

They're so extremely different it's hard to compare them though. Green Day have so many albums now and I like all of them so at this point it's virtually impossible to rank them and I've pretty much given up on it.

Sorry if this of off topic or anything, but here's my ranking (that may be somewhat unpopular but not really) since I like doing that. 1) Dookie 2) Nimrod 3) Insomniac 4) American Idiot 5) Kerplunk 6) Warning 7) 21st Century Breakdown 8) 39/Smooth 9) Revolution Radio 10) Uno 11) Dos 12) Tre

Uno is actually my favorite of the Trilogy. I don't think it's better than AI or Dookie, but I really liked it when it came out. It made me so excited and happy! And I remember so many people hated it. Felt like I was in the minority for a while :lol: 

I'm sticking to my opinion that Uno is Green Day's worst album. It sounds like they went with whatever ideas came to their heads first and made no attempt to make the songs the best they could be. Also the production on that album is so boring, it's just a few guitar tracks with nothing interesting going on in the background or anything. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the album that came before it (21st CB) which was so creative and ambitious.

• Like 1

I think Dos is the best of the trilogy. Musically, it's the most interesting definitely. Lyrically, I think it's not as good as Tré as a whole but it still has some songs that have some pretty great lyrics i.e Lazy Bones, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Stray Heart.

I think Uno's lyrics are pretty sub-par throughout. None of the songs are great lyrically and there are a few times where the lyrics are just bad. But Uno is probably the album where I'm least likely to skip a song out of the trilogy. Tré has the best lyrics but some of the songs are kind of underwhelming or forgettable imo like Drama Queen, Missing You or The Forgotten, although it does also have my 2 favourite trilogy songs Brutal Love and X-Kid

So Dos is my favourite. Tbh I'm not sure which is better out of Uno and Tré.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AmyxLongview said:

I'm sticking to my opinion that Uno is Green Day's worst album. It sounds like they went with whatever ideas came to their heads first and made no attempt to make the songs the best they could be. Also the production on that album is so boring, it's just a few guitar tracks with nothing interesting going on in the background or anything. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the album that came before it (21st CB) which was so creative and ambitious.

I don't agree at all that nothing interesting goes on in the background, I'm addicted to half of the songs on Uno, and it's for the whole of what they are : lyrics, vocals, instruments, overall atmosphere of each song. It is very different from 21st CB (in a deliberate way, according to what they said in interviews at that time), it doesn't mean it is not ambitious as well. It is, in a different way. Moreover, in terms of creativity, I find that every trilogy album has nothing to envy to any other album they made.

21 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think Dos is the best of the trilogy. Musically, it's the most interesting definitely. Lyrically, I think it's not as good as Tré as a whole but it still has some songs that have some pretty great lyrics i.e Lazy Bones, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash, Stray Heart.

I think Uno's lyrics are pretty sub-par throughout. None of the songs are great lyrically and there are a few times where the lyrics are just bad. But Uno is probably the album where I'm least likely to skip a song out of the trilogy. Tré has the best lyrics but some of the songs are kind of underwhelming or forgettable imo like Drama Queen, Missing You or The Forgotten, although it does also have my 2 favourite trilogy songs Brutal Love and X-Kid

So Dos is my favourite. Tbh I'm not sure which is better out of Uno and Tré.

My favorite trilogy album is Tre, than Uno, and in third Dos, but I still enjoy it a lot, and I agree it's the most interesting musically. I wouldn't skip a song on there.

On Uno, the lyrics seem rather spontaneous than too far-fetched but it doesn't make them bad at all, a lot of them make me really go for a ride.

As for Tre, it has too many songs I love too much for it not to be my favorite. Brutal Love is one of them, X-kid too but there are others, including Missing You and The Forgotten that I love even more than X-kid.

I think the production of Insomniac is pretty much perfect, it totally fits the mood of those songs. A lot of people love that they add solos to those songs live and change the vocals up but I don't like it, I think they seem out of place. I love that it's a darker album, it reflects what they were going through at the time... I love punk rock and this is just a great punk album. Some people don't like that, which is fine, everyone's entitled to like what they like, but adding trilogy guitar tones like someone suggested in another thread? Fuuuuuuuck that!! I love the super distorted tone, but I do gotta say that Kevin Army did a better job mixing the tone in JAR than Jerry Finn did on the album, the songs were from the same session but idk, maybe they used a different setup for that song? The only thing I would change is the drum mix, they sound a little dull to me

• Like 2