Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

3 hours ago, Ham Pascale said:

Don't Leave Me is likely the first (or one of the first) song Billie Joe wrote. During show in 1990 (the recording can be downloaded here) he said that he wrote Don't Leave Me in 8th grade. Best Thing In Town is definitely the first song he write in collaboration with Mike, according to this interview.

Didn't know that one was that early! And thanks for the interviews. There is an interview where he said Why Do You Want Him was the first song he wrote, and another where he said he wrote Best Thing In Town when he was 14. 8th grade is age 14-15 so he might have written all of them during it.

• Like 2

Very unpopular opinion: Nothing about Foxboro Hottubs enthuses me, and I kinda groan every time they're brought back up. That side project was born from dissatisfaction and frustration from being Green Day — which I entirely understand, all artists need a break — but to revisit it time and again doesn't make sense to me. I could take or leave the actual music, and even their post-sobriety performances just seem kinda messy and meh to me. 

I like The Network. :lol:

• Like 2

Don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but I don't like Troubled Times and Outlaws. Those are easily my least favourite tracks from RevRad. I find them rather boring and I think the lyrics of Troubled Times are weak. I do like Youngblood though :D

7 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Don't know if that's an unpopular opinion but I don't like Troubled Times and Outlaws. Those are easily my least favourite tracks from RevRad. I find them rather boring and I think the lyrics of Troubled Times are weak. I do like Youngblood though :D

I don't like Outlaws, but I do like Troubled Times. And I love Youngblood.:D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Very unpopular opinion: Nothing about Foxboro Hottubs enthuses me, and I kinda groan every time they're brought back up. That side project was born from dissatisfaction and frustration from being Green Day — which I entirely understand, all artists need a break — but to revisit it time and again doesn't make sense to me. I could take or leave the actual music, and even their post-sobriety performances just seem kinda messy and meh to me. 

I like The Network. :lol:

Disagree. Foxboro Hot Tubs are awesome, if alone for the ''The Who'' covers they do (which they gave up doing at standard GD gigs, sadly), such as ''A Quick One, While He's Away''. I love The Who too btw:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

The sad thing is, maybe they are a little frustrated to be Green Day right now after the last bid of the European tour ended in chaos and poor Billie felt pressured to explain the world that they're not heartless :dry: So if this is a way to distract them / cheer them up again, I'm fine with it. And I really like the music. But I accept your opinion, I'm tolerant :P

• Like 4

I don't know if this counts as unpopular or not but, I don't think Bang Bang should have been the lead single for revrad, I think it should've been Still Breathing, especially after seeing both videos I feel like SB is so much more symbolic of a 'comeback' (not that they truly went away but yknow what I mean). Bang Bang is obviously in tune with the current state of the world so it's still relevant.

I also fucking love Youngblood and it's so fun live :dance:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

The sad thing is, maybe they are a little frustrated to be Green Day right now after the last bid of the European tour ended in chaos and poor Billie felt pressured to explain the world that they're not heartless :dry: So if this is a way to distract them / cheer them up again, I'm fine with it. And I really like the music. But I accept your opinion, I'm tolerant :P

I guess that's why I'm particularly not thrilled about the Tubbies this time around (if it amounts to anything at all). They got some shitty criticism lately but Glasgow and Mad Cool weren't their fault in any way. I really hope they're not feeling like frustrated because of silly comments regarding situations entirely out of their control. I mean if it makes them feel better, great, but I wish it wasn't bugging them so much to begin with.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, emmericanidiot said:

I don't know if this counts as unpopular or not but, I don't think Bang Bang should have been the lead single for revrad, I think it should've been Still Breathing, especially after seeing both videos I feel like SB is so much more symbolic of a 'comeback' (not that they truly went away but yknow what I mean). Bang Bang is obviously in tune with the current state of the world so it's still relevant.

They don't tend to do emotional heavy songs first - i.e WMUSE/BOBD followed American Idiot - 21 Guns followed Know Your Enemy. They normally come back with a "FUCK YEAH WE'RE BACK" kind of vibe. 

• Like 3

@Destiny.

I actually think KYE was a bad choice for a first single, but then I don't think it should have been 21 Guns either (that's too soft).

Besides that, I agree with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

I'm a little tempted to agree with you, but only because it would've saved me the money I spent preordering the red vinyl :P I fucking love Bang Bang and immediately preordered hoping the whole album would be as much a punk masterpiece as the song, each subsequent single killed my enthusiasm a bit more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

((Plus y'know, the demo was leaked online and people probably would have been anxious to hear what the finished version sounded like.))

I preferred the demo over the finished version, but then listening to the album as a whole and having it begin and end with the same chords made more sense in the end. 

Its true I guess that they'd want a higher-energy lead single, Oh Love was a bit too laid back and lacked excitement, maybe if they'd have gone with Kill The DJ it would've kicked off the trilogy better (I say better, I mean...anything to make it better would've been wonderful. I always thought KYE was a weak choice, East Jesus Nowhere wouldve been better imo

Just thought of two more:

- The bass solo in Makeout Party is the only reason that song is good. :P

- I Run NY is a good song. Not exactly Green Day  related, but it's a good song! 

• Like 4

I've always liked the vocals in Makeout Party even more! Maybe not more, it is awesome how the bassline riffs through the chorus lines. Sounds so good!

Just now, Spike said:

I don't think Know Your Enemy is a particularly good show opener. 

I don't like it either but I guess it's good to the crowd ready I guess

Yeah, I don't like it that much either as a song, although it's ok as an opener, but especially the slow version of it that they're doing now irritates me. They used to play it quicker and it just lacks some of the energy that it had previously (21CB and 99 Revolutions tour). I really don't get why they're playing it at this speed?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yeah, I don't like it that much either as a song, although it's ok as an opener, but especially the slow version of it that they're doing now irritates me. They used to play it quicker and it just lacks some of the energy that it had previously (21CB and 99 Revolutions tour). I really don't get why they're playing it at this speed?

I don't know why, don't know if it's just me but 2000 light years away seems slower also

Edited by paperlanterns22

My Green Day gripes:

1) I have never ever liked Take Back. I'm fine with it until the chorus, at which point I want to peel my own skin off to stop the cringe from spreading 😂

2) Why why why every damn time they play Minority do they slow down for the chorus?! It is so jolting and they do it every single time they play it live. Please play at the same tempo, thank you. 😄

Also, that whole scene on BIAB where they're in the Imperial War Museum and Billie is knocking on that bomb, please stop. Sam Bayer made that whole thing so cringey, I find it really funny. 

14 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't think Know Your Enemy is a particularly good show opener. 

Absolutely agree. I think 21st CB was an incredible opener, because it starts slowly and then suddenly kicks in and I still remember exactly how excited it made me every time. 

For this tour, a song from Revolution Radio might have been better imo. Not quite sure which one though. 

• Like 1

Somewhere Now would have been perfect, needs to be in set and like 21stCB it starts slow and kicks in heavy. A slow walk onto the stage and then the opening notes would have been awesome!

On 7/10/2017 at 6:01 PM, Yuri Plisetsky said:

I honestly think 21st Century Breakdown should have been the first choice for a single. While it lays down a heavy message, it's the song they came out with during tours at that time, it's the title song, and is a high enough energy song that it would get you pumped up for the rest of the album. ((Plus y'know, the demo was leaked online and people probably would have been anxious to hear what the finished version sounded like.))

I always thought that should've been the lead single. Would've created a lot more excitement than KYE for the follow up to AI and 21CB deserved to do better in the charts and it would've if it was released as the 1st single instead of the 4th single

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

I always thought that should've been the lead single. Would've created a lot more excitement than KYE for the follow up to AI and 21CB deserved to do better in the charts and it would've if it was released as the 1st single instead of the 4th single

Totally agree. 21CB is a great song, and it still sounds as brilliant now as it did when they released the album, I'll never get tired of that chant in the middle - WE ARE THE CLASS OF, THE CLASS OF 13, BORN IN THE ERA OF HUMILITY. WE ARE THE DESPERATE IN THE DECLINE, RAISED BY THE BASTARDS OF 1969! Absolutely brilliant!

• Like 2

• lizziebix featured this topic