Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Here is an unpopular opinion for you: I think Dookie is the second worst Green Day album.

2 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Here is an unpopular opinion for you: I think Dookie is the second worst Green Day album.

I don't agree, but I can understand it.  Out of curiosity, what do you think is the worst?

3 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I don't agree, but I can understand it.  Out of curiosity, what do you think is the worst?

Uno. There are only about three songs on Uno that I listen to on a regular basis.

49 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Oh geez 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Uno. There are only about three songs on Uno that I listen to on a regular basis.

Uno's my least favorite of the Trilogy.  It is a bit higher on my list than last, but we agree it is the worst of the Trilogy.

11 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

That is understandable. But still laughable :lol:

No ones opinion is laughable.

• Like 3

While I wouldn't say it's the worst Dookie doesn't wind up in the top 5 for my ranking but that could be because I have overplayed that album in the 90's 

• Like 2

I don't dislike Dookie, I think it's a great album, but I would just rather listen to the other Green Day albums.

I don't like the way that people always compare it to Insomniac. They say things like "Insomniac is basically exactly the same as Dookie, but not as good." In my opinion, Insomniac is way better than Dookie. In fact, Insomniac is my second favourite Green Day album, after Nimrod.

Also, since Dookie is their best-selling album and probably their most famous, the first time I listened to it I had high expectations and, to be honest, I didn't think the songs were that memorable. The only songs that really stood out to me were Burnout, Longview, Basket Case and the last half of F.O.D. However, I will say this: those four songs are better than a lot of the songs on other albums.

34 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I don't dislike Dookie, I think it's a great album, but I would just rather listen to the other Green Day albums.

I don't like the way that people always compare it to Insomniac. They say things like "Insomniac is basically exactly the same as Dookie, but not as good." In my opinion, Insomniac is way better than Dookie. In fact, Insomniac is my second favourite Green Day album, after Nimrod.

Also, since Dookie is their best-selling album and probably their most famous, the first time I listened to it I had high expectations and, to be honest, I didn't think the songs were that memorable. The only songs that really stood out to me were Burnout, Longview, Basket Case and the last half of F.O.D. However, I will say this: those four songs are better than a lot of the songs on other albums.

Well we were agreeing for awhile, until this.  :lol:  Insomniac is my last, by a mile.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Well we were agreeing for awhile, until this.  :lol:  Insomniac is my last, by a mile.

Oh my God, really? :lol: Why? Do you dislike it, or is it just your least favourite?

21 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

No ones opinion is laughable.

Oh it really can be, there are plenty of laughable opinions out there. Not talking about music of course

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Oh my God, really? :lol: Why? Do you dislike it, or is it just your least favourite?

Well it used to be just my least favorite but I'm enjoying it less and less the more I listen to it

24 minutes ago, Master Roshi said:

Oh it really can be, there are plenty of laughable opinions out there. Not talking about music of course

Actually no. Everyone us entitled to an opinion and anyone has a right to disagree with it.  That doesn't make it laughable it makes it different

6 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I don't see any problem laughing at flat-earthers.

You are such a nerd:lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

I don't see any problem laughing at flat-earthers.

Ok point taken

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like Know Your Enemy. I mean I'm a bit sick of it because I've heard it so much (not live, just in general) but as a song I actually like it.

• Like 3

I love it live. I don't think it's one of their best openers, but it works and when Billie goes into the solo and screams: ''Jump, jump, jump, let's go!'' the whole arena/stadium is on its feet! 

When I listen to the studio version though, I'm a bit disappointed tbh. It doesn't have the same punch as live and then it's boring and repetitiv in my opinion (especially the solo, which sounds really weird to me after having listened to his ''live'' solos).

Whenever I hear anyone mention RevRad, both online and out in the real world, they all use the same word - Dissapointing - and I kinda agree.

Whilst I think lots of these people are still in the AI mindset, I still think RevRad could've been better, is this the best album the guys could've produced? If yes, that's kinda dissapointing that BJ's song writing has deteriorated from the past, and if no then why wasn't this the best it could be? They had little inside pressure, they took their time and the album was in their control.

Dont get me wrong there are some good Green Day songs, Forever and Somewhere Now are good and there are some ok tracks like Still Breathing and Bang Bang, but they're disappointing when you take them out of a Green Day context and put them in a general music context, they're not exactly classics.

So yeah that's my unpopular opinion, RevRad both could and should have been better considering the talent and songwriting ability in the band.

• Like 1

Well, I'm partly with @JoeFrusciante on this one.

My feelings concerning RevRad are mixed. I like a lot of the songs, but I don't think it's the best stuff Green Day has produced or are capable of producing. I also don't like the mixing that much. Yes, the guitar distortion is better than on the trilogy and the vocal filters are mostly left out (thank god for that) and the production overall is definitely better as well, but it just doesn't match the production of American Idiot for example. 

Originally, I liked the idea of them producing their stuff on their own, with no pressure from outside (and the end result is, there's definitely some good stuff), but I now think, some of Green Day's all time best stuff was produced in a studio environment with some pressure and the motivation to work on an album (or even concept album). 

So, after listening to it plenty of times, I'd definitely rank the album somewhere in the middle. Considering the fact that this came after the trilogy and some serious health issues and considering they've been a band for 30 years, I think the album is pretty good and I can't say I'm truly disappointed. However, a part of me does yearn for Green Day to release some even better material, which I sure as hell know they're capable of doing! 

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

This makes me sad. I think RevRad is wonderful and has some of BJ's best ever songwriting.

Really? There are some downright cringey lyrics throughout the album, there are moments of brilliance but considering the lack of pressure to produce an album it could and should've been a lot better. Idk I just feel a much stronger, honest album is within them. It kinda felt a bit forced rather than genuine emotion

2 hours ago, MilleniumFan said:

Well, I'm partly with @JoeFrusciante on this one.

My feelings concerning RevRad are mixed. I like a lot of the songs, but I don't think it's the best stuff Green Day has produced or are capable of producing. I also don't like the mixing that much. Yes, the guitar distortion is better than on the trilogy and the vocal filters are mostly left out (thank god for that) and the production overall is definitely better as well, but it just doesn't match the production of American Idiot for example. 

Originally, I liked the idea of them producing their stuff on their own, with no pressure from outside (and the end result is, there's definitely some good stuff), but I now think, some of Green Day's all time best stuff was produced in a studio environment with some pressure and the motivation to work on an album (or even concept album). 

So, after listening to it plenty of times, I'd definitely rank the album somewhere in the middle. Considering the fact that this came after the trilogy and some serious health issues and considering they've been a band for 30 years, I think the album is pretty good and I can't say I'm truly disappointed. However, a part of me does yearn for Green Day to release some even better material, which I sure as hell know they're capable of doing! 

Yeah maybe they need that pressure to succeed, Dookie was a major label debut and AI was when they were seen as being in a do or die position

I think Rev Rad is absolutely brilliant.  They tried some things they haven't done before.  While one particular song is dire, the rest are amazing.  I love that you can hear the classic rock influences throughout the album.  And I feel most of the lyrics are so heartfelt.  I feel like Billie let us into his soul.  The only thing I would change is one particular song, other than that I'm thrilled with the album. 

• Like 3

I really like RevRad. It made me excited about Green Day again, even though I do like the Trilogy. But I also don't think a lot of the lyrics are his best. Some of them are just weird and feel random. Even with the weird lyrics I still think the album is fun and I enjoy most of the songs.

Revolution Radio is so unoriginal and uninspired. It feels like they are just going through the motions. It's filled with ideas they have executed way better before. 

Its has:

1. Empty political statements 

2. A long multi part song

3. A poppy relatable song just to get on the radio 

4. A striped down ballad at the end of the album 

5. 2 different songs that connect somehow 

There is not one interesting or different idea on the entire freaking album. It's the same thing they've been doing since American Idiot. Revolution Radio is so obviously mediocre.

• lizziebix featured this topic