Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

:lol: Complaining about long songs when they are like one of the best songs on each of their albums :lol: oh man this is extremely sad

imo Forever Now isn't one of the best songs on RevRad maybe top 5 and DRB is about the same on ¡Tre! can't be the best when Brutal Love is on the same album again imo 

I agree! All these songs are wicked, I don't know why people are so picky on the sound from album to album and comparing them to each other, with one having to be better, when they are all so great on their own and in their own ways. One of the best things about Green Day to me and why they are one of my favorite bands is the simple fact that for me, they have never done a bad record! Nobody who sais they have could do half as good which is the funniest thing about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

I agree! All these songs are wicked, I don't know why people are so picky on the sound from album to album and comparing them to each other, with one having to be better, when they are all so great on their own and in their own ways. One of the best things about Green Day to me and why they are one of my favorite bands is the simple fact that for me, they have never done a bad record! Nobody who sais they have could do half as good which is the funniest thing about it.

I agree, they are VERY picky! :lol:

2 hours ago, Jake69 said:

I don't know what makes them think they have to have a incredibly long song on every album. Just cause all albums since AI had one? Reason #8000 Revolution Radio plays it way to safe.

Well, they know it works. General opinion is that their long songs are some of their best. Could be a lot of fun writing them. Maybe that's just how it works out when they're experimenting. I don't think it's entirely baffling considering Billie adores JOS, as do most of this forum. 

2 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

I like the song but as far as GD multi-part songs go, it's pretty meh. Forever Now works a lot better. The songs actually connect. Dirty Rotten Bastard has a weird opening of singing "Yeah", then a good catchy drinking song (at least that's what it sounds like to me), then a complete clusterfuck, then the drinking song part but slower and then finishes with 1 minute of Billie singing "We're carried away" for some reason

What's crazy is that this is considered the best trilogy song but the worst GD multi-part song. That says a lot about what people think of the trilogy.

Yeah, pretty much. Green Day being my favourite band, the trilogy is still better than most of the non-GD stuff I listen to, but when you compare it to other GD music it's just apparent that they could do a lot better (and have.)

2 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

If you've only listened to it 10 times, then you haven't given the album a proper chance

Ah come on, you know by now he's just trolling you when he says stuff like that.

• Like 2

Dirty Rotten Bastards considered the best trilogy song? Where do you guys come up with this facts?

Stray Heart? Rusty James? BRUTAL LOVE?

Think they meant, as far as multi-sectional songs go. It is pretty damn good, some of Mike's best bass playing on the Trilogy. Listened to Uno today on cassette! Seriously I don't know, the lyrics on Uno are great on just about every track with very few exceptions. Musically it does have a lot to offer, especially in comparison to RevRad, the guitar solos and riffs are not bad at all. The drums are great as always. I'd say the meanings behind most of the songs are a lot deeper and make more sense too. On most tracks, some others like Still Breathing from RevRad certainly steals the show from tracks like Oh Love. I don't even know why I am comparing them, that is what we do here, talk about the albums and shit, it is fun. This is the place to do it.

24 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

Possible unpopular opinion: not that fussed on Stray Heart. I see a lot of people loving it but I find it meh. 

I agree, it's always been a song I've wanted to like a lot more than I do. 

• Like 1

Just now, tacobellfan456 said:

I agree, it's always been a song I've wanted to like a lot more than I do. 

I don't connect with it lyrically and it just seems to be more of a FBHT song rather than a Green Day song. Which might be why it's popular but I don't really feel it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haushinka! said:

Forever Now is one of the few tracks I love on Rev Rad, but like a couple people have said, I am pretty surprised they decided to make a lengthier song...again. One could say they played it safe, another could say that they just enjoy doing that. Either way, it's predictable and the idea of having a multidimensional track is a bit stale now. But that's just my opinion.

I love multi-part epics. It's one of the hallmarks features of prog rock and rock operas in general (Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush). Forever Now is in my opinion more coherent than their other multi-part songs because it integrates Somewhere Now in the track and gives it a twist that 'ties up' the whole record. The fact that it succeeds in that, makes it a great track. Besides, it makes for a killer song live to finish the regular setlist with. They take extra effort to write and record and make them feel like one song without obfuscating the melodical diversity. Personally, I'm a huge multi-part epic fan and it's one of the main reasons I fell in love with Green Day.

4 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I don't connect with it lyrically and it just seems to be more of a FBHT song rather than a Green Day song. Which might be why it's popular but I don't really feel it. 

I'd imagine the main (obvious) reason for its popularity is the fact that it's a single with a music video (A music video that from what I've seen, is fairly popular in the community).

Overall I do find it catchy, I don't hate it, and don't really mind the lyrics. But it's just lacking something for me and I don't seem to know what it is. It's not terrible, but not great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I love stray heart. It sounds like nothing they've done before and it works. It live however  :sick:

Yeah, it's a good song, but it doesn't work too well live. Of all the love songs on the trilogy, only the acoustic version of Stay the Night and Brutal Love really work live.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I definitely understand your point here. Even though I do enjoy it, it's extremely similar to Mother Mary, I mean the bass is practically identical :lol:

@Jake69 your new avatar is awesome :D

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Wasn't it hers? original

Like a year ago and I think it was before Jake joined. So I don't blame him, it's not a big deal. :D 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tacobellfan456 said:

Like a year ago and I think it was before Jake joined. So I don't blame him, it's not a big deal. :D 

yeah I know its not either way he would of responded mad about it.

But anyways back on topic... I wish they get rid of a lot of the old stuff from their shows and add the classics from the trilogy! :D I have seen live and from YouTube videos of them playing the same songs for years!

1 hour ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

I definitely understand your point here. Even though I do enjoy it, it's extremely similar to Mother Mary, I mean the bass is practically identical :lol:

Except it's an entirely different tune :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake69 said:

I love stray heart. It sounds like nothing they've done before and it works. 

I guess you haven't heard this then  

• Like 2

I realised the similarity between Stray Heart and Mother Mary the first time I played my Mother Mary 7" on the wrong speed.

15 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I rather listen to Youngblood 5 times in a row than listen to Revolution Radio once. The guitars sound so ugly on RevRad because of the palm muting. The vocal melody isn't catchy imo and the lyrics are absolutely laughable. It's probably my least favorite song on the record. 

I find:

"Give me cherry bombs and gasoline
Debutantes in surgery
And the headline 'Legalize the truth'"

and

"Give me rage, like there’s tear gas in the crowd
Do you wanna live out loud?
But the air is barely breathing
Rise of the slums to the obsolete"

to be incredibly prescient lyrics in light of the new President. There's nothing close to this level of mastery in Youngblood (though, "fuck you I'm from Oakland" is a great lyrical section)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Z J said:

I find:

"Give me cherry bombs and gasoline
Debutantes in surgery
And the headline 'Legalize the truth'"

and

"Give me rage, like there’s tear gas in the crowd
Do you wanna live out loud?
But the air is barely breathing
Rise of the slums to the obsolete"

to be incredibly prescient lyrics in light of the new President. There's nothing close to this level of mastery in Youngblood (though, "fuck you I'm from Oakland" is a great lyrical section)

The chorus is definitely tons better than Know Your Enemy and 99 Revolutions. Still, their strictly political revolution songs are underwhelming mostly. Listen to Forever Now, which is both musically and lyrically far more powerful. Revolution Radio is in my opinion the most generic track of the record.

3 hours ago, Dakke said:

The chorus is definitely tons better than Know Your Enemy and 99 Revolutions. Still, their strictly political revolution songs are underwhelming mostly. Listen to Forever Now, which is both musically and lyrically far more powerful. Revolution Radio is in my opinion the most generic track of the record.

i have never heard of this "forever young" song until you just now told me to listen to it what album is it on?

• lizziebix featured this topic