Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Crushing Bastards is Loss Of Control, 100%. He even says it in the song, for fuck sake.

See I wouldn't know that having only ever inflicted it on myself twice.

• Like 1

They should have just kept that name for "Loss of Control" and put another "Bastards" song on Dos, with a "Bastards" song on each album. At least that'd be a kind of half-assed throughline that tries to tie the Trilogy into a cohesive whole. Granted, they tried with the repeated "red lights flash", but I have no fucking clue what sort of theme that's trying to convey. :P

Me neither, but it's cool.

See I wouldn't know that having only ever inflicted it on myself twice.

It's literally the only line of the song I can even remember.

"Life's a cruel crushing bastard something something something LOSS OF CONTROL DERNERNERNER(maybe no one will notice we ripped off The Pretenders)NERNERNERNER"

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a disgraceful song, and Nightlife is brilliant. There. Now I can follow this thread again. :D

Wow. yes, you can.

I never heard such an unpopular opinion :D

• Like 1

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a disgraceful song, and Nightlife is brilliant. There. Now I can follow this thread again. :D

here's Nightlife in a nutshell:

1. Poor lyrics
  2. Lazy song structure
  3. Weak guitar tone
  4. Billie Joe harmonizing with himself, and not Mike
  5. Excessive riff copying (even for green day)
  6. Sooo much tambourine...
  7. A girl rapping. I mean, really Green Day? just no!

Now tell me what's wrong with DRB.

• Like 3

here's Dirty Rotten Bastards in a nutshell:

1. Poor lyrics
  2. Lazy song structure
  3. Weak guitar tone
  4. Billie Joe harmonizing with himself, and not Mike
  5. Excessive riff copying (even for green day)
  6. Sooo much tambourine...

I think it is quite popular to believe the trilogy should have been one album. But I do not think it would have changed much in the eyes of the mainstream. There still wouldn't be a song on their that would have charted at all on Hot 100 or gotten top 40 airplay, which is pretty much required if you want a Grammy.

To us on the forum, sure, if there was some quality control I think I could have viewed the trilogy fondly, but not much would have changed.

Brutal Love.

The fact that everyone acknowledges that Billie is a horrible actor is yet another reason that I am baffled that people still want the AI movie to happen.

I wouldn't mind seeing the AI movie if it were a kind of lo-fi production - somewhat under the radar - but no, Green Day shouldn't be in it.

• Like 2

I really respect bands when they try something out of their comfort zone. Nightlife is a pretty drastic change, but what I like about it is that Green Day must've been pretty self-aware to actually put something so different onto one of their albums, so I see it as something very tongue in cheek, as something a bit fun and experimental. They're not trying to be anything other than Green Day doing something new and silly. I like it. Especially that cool little bass riff. :)

DRB however... One of my pet hates is when bands try to rip off some of their older work. Music shouldn't be stagnant and repetitive, but progressive and interesting. So, when I heard DRB, all I felt was that it was a big drunken mess harking back to JOS, 21CB and American Eulogy. I think that's why so many people have problems with the trilogy as a whole. The lyrics are ridiculously poor (full of meaningless buzz words, a telltale sign of poor songwriting), the melody reminds me of MCR fused with a Christmas jingle... it's just embarrassing, overall.

sure, pick the reason you hate DRB as a reason I like it. the storyline-jos-thingy is why i like DRB, besides the solo and stuff.

and are you guys gonna quote me and actually say something underneath it?

Brutal Love.

It's over 5 minutes. Too long. It might have charted highly about 40 years ago, but not now.

sure, pick the reason you hate DRB as a reason I like it. the storyline-jos-thingy is why i like DRB, besides the solo and stuff.

What storyline?

Read what we quoted :P

i love the song Rest

Same! Everyone seems to dislike it but I love how dreamy it sounds, it does make you sleepy ha.

There's only a handful of songs I really like from the trilogy: stay the night, swtrlf, 8th avenue serenade and missing you. Least favs are fell for you and Amy, just don't like them at all :x the rest are just middling, I like certain bits in songs but just not them as whole songs :P

• Like 2

As for DRB it's meh.

The first part and second part aren't too bad, and might work ok as fully developed, individual songs, but the final part? With the random key change, time signature change and the random, unconnected warbling on about getting carried away (where did that even come from?!)? No.

You gotta admit though, the bass and guitar solos in the middle are pretty damn cool :P

• Like 2

It's over 5 minutes. Too long. It might have charted highly about 40 years ago, but not now.

What storyline?

Read what we quoted :P

ok maybe storyline was the wrong word, thats why i said jos type thing after it. If i can split up the song it would be like:

I: Calling all Demons (or just Dirty Rotten Bastards)

II: Juliana Homicide

III: Calling all Demons -once again can also be DRB- Reprise

IV: Carried Away

But Dirty Rotten Bastards doesn't have a story to it. It's just kinda all over the place.

I can also listen Jesus of Suburbia, Homecoming, 21st Century Breakdown, and American Eulogy without feeling that the song is dragging on. I can't say the same for Dirty Rotten Bastards.

Actually, it's just under 5 minutes. It's still too long for radio, though.

Speaking of five-minute songs, was Oh Love edited? I can't remember hearing it on the radio.

Lazy song structure? Really not sure about that, although the transitions are questionable. I agree with everything else. On the plus side, Mike's bass tone is awesome and it's one of his best performances.
  • Like 1

BOBD, Wake Me Up and 21 Guns were all fairly long and did well enough.

Having said that about DRB, I wouldn't mind seeing it live - just to see if they could pull off the solos! :lol:

ok maybe storyline was the wrong word, thats why i said jos type thing after it. If i can split up the song it would be like:

I: Calling all Demons (or just Dirty Rotten Bastards)

II: Juliana Homicide

III: Calling all Demons -once again can also be DRB- Reprise

IV: Carried Away

Just because it has different parts doesn't mean it's good? The transitions are awful, two of the parts are exactly the same, and the second Calling all Demons and the Carried Away bit sound like they were chucked on the end just to make it longer and EPICER. Without those it might have been a pretty good song.

BOBD, Wake Me Up and 21 Guns were all fairly long and did well enough.

All of those were edited for radio. And none of those were 3/4 ballads written in a style last seen in 1960 :P

If we were picking songs to chart well, X Kid could've been a winner if it was promoted properly and had a decent video. :)

what, a video of a cassette tape wasnt decent? :P

• Like 3

I really respect bands when they try something out of their comfort zone. Nightlife is a pretty drastic change, but what I like about it is that Green Day must've been pretty self-aware to actually put something so different onto one of their albums, so I see it as something very tongue in cheek, as something a bit fun and experimental. They're not trying to be anything other than Green Day doing something new and silly. I like it. Especially that cool little bass riff. :)

DRB however... One of my pet hates is when bands try to rip off some of their older work. Music shouldn't be stagnant and repetitive, but progressive and interesting. So, when I heard DRB, all I felt was that it was a big drunken mess harking back to JOS, 21CB and American Eulogy. I think that's why so many people have problems with the trilogy as a whole. The lyrics are ridiculously poor (full of meaningless buzz words, a telltale sign of poor songwriting), the melody reminds me of MCR fused with a Christmas jingle... it's just embarrassing, overall.

What Buzz words are you talking about?

Just because it has different parts doesn't mean it's good? The transitions are awful, two of the parts are exactly the same, and the second Calling all Demons and the Carried Away bit sound like they were chucked on the end just to make it longer and EPICER. Without those it might have been a pretty good song.

All of those were edited for radio. And none of those were 3/4 ballads written in a style last seen in 1960 :P

I didn't know they were edited actually. But in that case, they would have edited Brutal Love. That would have been blasphemy, but I guess you can cut the beginning and end a bit and not ruin it too much. It's by far the best song on the trilogy, so I would hope it would have some success!

• Like 2

HIT THE LIKE BUTTON ONCE YOU DISTANT RELATIVE OF A GOAT I GOT 5 FUCKING NOTIFICATIONS FOR ONE POST

What can I say? I love to piss you off.

• lizziebix featured this topic