Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

they're the same song

there are definitely instrumental/tune similarities but I feel like they carry significant differences that work enough to set them apart 

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a bump, but I feel like I've got a good one for this thread:

Don't get me wrong, I love Nimrod. However, since literally the day I first heard it, I've always felt that there's something off about the way it was produced. It's almost like it's too loud and there's too much treble or something. I know people always complain about Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers being affected by the loudness wars, but I notice it way more on Nimrod. 

Especially on Jinx, Haushinka, Take Back and Platypus. I honestly always skip Jinx because it's simply way too loud. Please tell me that I'm not insane and someone else notices this! 

Dookie is a good album but not nearly as good as 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours, kerplunk or even insomniac

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mychemicalgreenday12 said:

Dookie is a good album but not nearly as good as 1,039 smoothed out slappy hours, kerplunk or even insomniac

Wow really Unpopular.

• Like 1

I couldn't handle watching Ordinary World... it was too upsetting.  I wanted to kick the guys out of the hotel room who were being disgusting perverted 3qt8y34hfeshfushfuewfufhshfwehoufws!

There is nothing entertaining about watching a female get undressed... especially when you are a married guy who gets to see someone you LOVE do that almost daily...  they should've known better.. idiot characters.    

7 hours ago, mychemicalgreenday12 said:

I'll give you Kerplunk. If that album was recorded like Dookie, and you dropped Dominated Love Slave, I think it's an overall better album than Dookie. 

I'd also argue that it's a more mature album than Dookie in a lot of ways too. I think it's certainly a lot more introspective.

• Like 2

I absolutely agree that Insomniac is way better than Dookie. I definitely like 39/Smooth and Kerplunk more than Dookie, but I can't decide if they are better.

• Like 1

Dookie was never one of my favorite albums but I always thought that was because half of the songs were such hits they got overplayed.  Because of that I don’t listen to it much unless I’m really in the mood for that sound (and I’ve already played Insomniac lol)

On 4/24/2020 at 10:15 PM, mychemicalgreenday12 said:

100% agree. I'd say Dookie is their worst 90's album tbh

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, jengd said:

I like Insomniac better than Dookie too but still can’t pic a favourite!

I basically have nothing to say except to reply and say "yay another scottish person" lol

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Kerplunk sucks (though it does have some good songs). I hate it. The only people who can honestly say they like it are the sentimental fools who love the 90s.

RevRad is better than American Idiot.

Nightlife is a good song, it's just that damn filter on Billie's voice that makes it unbearable.

Dookie is overrated. 

Christian's Inferno is one of the worst GD songs. 

Homecoming isn't that good of a song, and it's overhyped. 

• Like 1

I agree with you about Dookie. Insomniac is a much better record.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Kerplunk sucks (though it does have some good songs). I hate it. The only people who can honestly say they like it are the sentimental fools who love the 90s.

Is it because of the production quality? When I first listened to it I felt this way, the sound was so jarringly bad compared to later albums that I thought I'd never enjoy it the same as them. But after a few listens I noticed the difference less and less and soon it just blended in with their other stuff. It doesn't sound weird or different to me at all now, the rougher quality to the singing and music just became part of it's charm the way other variations between their albums do and I enjoy listening to it exactly the same as any of their albums. Same with 39/Smooth and the other old stuff. The last four "bonus tracks" on Kerplunk (the Sweet Children EP) are a rough one since they're clearly very old songs and have the worst recording quality but everything else holds up fine for me. 

It's pretty much a slightly rougher Dookie (which makes sense since they got signed to make their first major label album - Dookie - based off it), imo if you're into Dookie you'll probably be into it and one is no more "90's" than the other. All of Green Day's 90's stuff is very "90's" so liking Green Day and that time period's sound go hand in hand. 

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

Is it because of the production quality? When I first listened to it I felt this way, the sound was so jarringly bad compared to later albums that I thought I'd never enjoy it the same as them. But after a few listens I noticed the difference less and less and soon it just blended in with their other stuff. It doesn't sound weird or different to me at all now, the rougher quality to the singing and music just became part of it's charm the way other variations between their albums do and I enjoy listening to it exactly the same as any of their albums. Same with 39/Smooth and the other old stuff. The last four "bonus tracks" on Kerplunk (the Sweet Children EP) are a rough one since they're clearly very old songs and have the worst recording quality but everything else holds up fine for me. 

It's pretty much a slightly rougher Dookie (which makes sense since they got signed to make their first major label album - Dookie - based off it), imo if you're into Dookie you'll probably be into it and one is no more "90's" than the other. All of Green Day's 90's stuff is very "90's" so liking Green Day and that time period's sound go hand in hand. 

It's a mix of the production quality and that godawful singing. I think the songwriting aspect is good for the most part, but I just can't listen to it. There's like six or seven songs off that album that I will listen to. And the "bonus tracks" are bad (except My Generation. That's a good cover).

18 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

It's a mix of the production quality and that godawful singing. I think the songwriting aspect is good for the most part, but I just can't listen to it. There's like six or seven songs off that album that I will listen to. And the "bonus tracks" are bad (except My Generation. That's a good cover).

I felt the exact same the first time I heard it, great songs/lyrics but the production and singing was so rough sounding I thought it would stop me listening to it. But it literally just sounds like any of their albums to me now, no more different than the differences in style between any of the others. And yeah I don't consider the last tracks part of the album, it's an earlier EP they made when they randomly happened to get some time in a studio when on the road and just knocked out some old songs they hadn't recorded before plus the cover.

I guess the early stuff isn't for everyone but that was my experience anyway so I would recommend giving it some more listens, since it's a great album. Same goes for 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

• Like 1

Isn’t it funny, their cover of My Generation is probably my least favourite.  I think there are great songs on Kerplunk but while I know they would never do it,  a little part of me would like it really-recorded  with a little more polished production but I do like it as early, raw, GD and I especially think you can sense their potential in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I guess the early stuff isn't for everyone but that was my experience anyway so I would recommend giving it some more listens, since it's a great album. Same goes for 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours.

1039 is my favorite album. I'm all for the old stuff, but Kerplunk just missed with me. But I'll definitely give it some more listens.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jengd said:

Is it the hair? 😂

It's totally the hair...and that suit! If only Billie would borrow Fink's wardrobe.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

1039 is my favorite album. I'm all for the old stuff, but Kerplunk just missed with me. But I'll definitely give it some more listens.

Ahh so it must be something different for you than it was with me then. Maybe just not your cup of tea. I love it and will always recommend giving it a chance though :D 

On 11/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

RevRad is better than American Idiot.

Nightlife is a good song, it's just that damn filter on Billie's voice that makes it unbearable.

Dookie is overrated. 

Christian's Inferno is one of the worst GD songs. 

Homecoming isn't that good of a song, and it's overhyped. 

Well. I agree on Kerplunk.

Disagree with the rest. 

On 3/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Slave To The Network said:

Warning is not a very good album. Definitely my least favorite.

Whoa, that's my 2nd favorite album!

-1,000 Hours to American Idiot is the only stuff worth listening to. Severe precipitous decline in lyrics, songwriting, authenticity, originality, edge, panache and finesse since the AI album cycle ended. Revolution Radio is the best thing they've released since AI and even then....EHHHHHHH.

-Foxboro Hot Tubs is terrible. Recycled progressions, song structures and riffs (I know its Green Day but it's still nice to hear something that hasn't been done 10,000 times before)

-The Longshot is incredibly dull and boring.

-The Frustrators are the best "Green Day related" band

-The albums rank as follows:

13. Father of All Motherfuckers

12. Dos

11. Tre

10. 21st Century Breakdown

9. Uno

8. Revolution Radio

7. 39/Smooth

6. Warning

5. American Idiot

4. Nimrod