Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Cut way down on the hey-ohs, get rid of KYE and open with a song that's actually good, stop making so many songs last 10 minutes, calm tf down with the scripted BS and for the love of god switch up the setlist. Also get rid of Matika but that's a given. 

I will bitch about these things forever. As a precaution, since I've posted aka bitched about this before: them already being amazing live doesn't have anything to do with it. There's still room for improvement imo. Them 'doing it for the CaSuAl FaNs' is not a valid argument to keep doing the same show over and over. That being said I can't wait for tour!!!!!!! Even if they keep all the BS I've listed above I'll love it as always, duh. Best live band on the planet but damn I hope they've at the very least updated their show. Best case scenario they give up most of the scripted stuff and let loose. 

If they replace KYE with 21CB (the song), I will go crazy. Ik they played that a lot in 2009/10 but if they actually play that in 2019/2020, that'd be awesome. Or basically any other song from 21CB

• Like 2

Opening with KYE last tour made NO SENSE. NONE. 

They really do need to switch up some of their regular songs. I love that they play so many classics and cover a wide range of their discography, but if you’re a big fan and see them three times during a tour...man, it sucks to see the SAME SHOW three times. And maybe that’s my problem for buying so many tickets, lol. I know a lot of artists play the same show every night. But they’ve been playing nearly the same show since the AI tour.

• Like 3

I honestly hate the whole oh but if we remove this song then someone who is seeing us for the first time will be disappointed. I get that, but you can't please everyone. When I saw them for the first time I really didn't care what they played. I was thrilled to finally see them!

Please change up the setlist! No matter what they'll always be amazing live but it can be frustrating when it feels like you've seen the same show several times, especially at this point in their career.

• Like 1

I don't think the disappointment about what you didn't see is real. There's always something else you get to see instead... I've never seen Brain Stew/Jaded, any Trilogy songs, they literally dropped Christie Road out of the shows I want to despite playing it almost every date. But none of that really mattered, their shows are always fun and in the end what's important is what they did play and not what was skipped.

That may not be the same for casual fans though...I've seen people complaining they wanted WMUWSE and 21 Guns, most probably not knowing they were lucky enough to hear Going to Pasalacqua and JAR. :P So I can see the hits need to be played too haha

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kaylubd said:

I honestly hate the whole oh but if we remove this song then someone who is seeing us for the first time will be disappointed. I get that, but you can't please everyone. When I saw them for the first time I really didn't care what they played. I was thrilled to finally see them!

Please change up the setlist! No matter what they'll always be amazing live but it can be frustrating when it feels like you've seen the same show several times, especially at this point in their career.

BUMP :)

Have faith in their catalogue

& @Beerjeezus I have no time for casual fans😑

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nightlife said:

Also get rid of Matika but that's a given

How's that?

I'm gonna give some real unpopular opinion on here:

I like Billie dragging on with the songs and ranting.

I like KYE at the beginning of the show and I think that for a 1st song t's better than Bang Bang. Bang Bang was great in second and then Rev Rad was the icing on the cake

The fact it's "scripted" doesn't mean it's not spontaneous. Nobody forces Billie to do that, I don't see why he would say something he doesn't feel like saying at the given moment.

I actually like KYE and it's a fine opener, but I do agree it was a bit weird to open with that on the RevRad tour and at this point, they can really open with something else.

19 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

How's that?

There's been lots of posts on here, one fairly long and detailed one very recently, describing his shitty personality. People can have whatever opinion about him and his actions they want, but to me he's not a good person. At all. That's the main part of it, the other thing is his contribution to Green Day could be done by someone else and at times, especially with The Longshot, his backup vocals are pure shit. 

4 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

with The Longshot, his backup vocals are pure shit. 

I thought that too, there were times his backup vocals were awful with Longshot, sure Billie must have noticed or someone close to them told him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

There's been lots of posts on here, one fairly long  and detailed one very recently, describing his shitty personality. People can have whatever opinion about him and his actions they want, but to me he's not a good person. At all. That's the main part of it, the other thing is his contribution to Green Day could be done by someone else and at times, especially with The Longshot, his backup vocals are pure shit. 

Oh ok, yeah I know what's said around here about him. :P They way you said "it's a given" I thought you were saying that the band had decided to throw him out (but you were saying it from the point of view of the thread that is unpopular opinions I guess).

Well I have no personal opinion of him personally, but to me his pro contribution is fine. His backing up vocals never annoyed me. Of course millions of other people could do the job, but that's not the point. To me there's no relevance of throwing him out. and moreover I find it a bit pretentious from the forum as a whole (since it has become a trend to say that he is undesired lately) to say that someone should or shouldn't be in the band. I mean it's not up to us to judge or decide... well that's my opinion at least. (and I wouldn't judge someone is good or bad just from impressions and/or reported experiences, but only from my own. Good or bad for me)

• 3 weeks later...

Someone needs to setup a chart or spreadsheet or something to see if there’s a correlation between those who say Revrad was safe and those who don’t like FoAM so far, assuming a lot of their problem with it is that it’s so different 😂😂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jengd said:

Someone needs to setup a chart or spreadsheet or something to see if there’s a correlation between those who say Revrad was safe and those who don’t like FoAM so far, assuming a lot of their problem with it is that it’s so different 😂😂

I think revrad was safe, musically speaking, but I don't dislike FOAM. I like that's it's a bit different. That makes me the true neutral :lol:

I guess what makes this feel underwhelming is that they're basically gping back to what they've been doing 10 years ago so it isn't really moving on, it's regressing =/ I like the idea of doing lighthearted stuff though...it worked for foxboro but they seem to be trying too hard when they try this with gd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I guess what makes this feel underwhelming is that they're basically gping back to what they've been doing 10 years ago so it isn't really moving on, it's regressing =/ I like the idea of doing lighthearted stuff though...it worked for foxboro but they seem to be trying too hard when they try this with gd.

I was thinking something somewhat similar.  I didn't get it at first when people were making comparisons to the Foxies, largely because I see the Foxies as superior to the two songs we've gotten so far (although I do like them), and then I saw someone on reddit say it's like running the Foxies through a bubble gum filter which made sense, and another person call it the FBHT part three, which made me think, how often does someone say part 3 of a movie series is the best one?

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But speaking to Billie’s “new” party attitude, although I like the music and I would be cool with it all if it was just presented as “let’s all escape our troubles and dance” (because I totally feel like escaping these days too) I think I have the most trouble to the throwbacks to the Rev and booze and fuck it all and feel like a badass specifically knowing that this is a person post rehab.  For that reason alone it doesn’t work anymore.

It’s easier to get on board with a badass character and party with them if they appear consequence free, but it’s less fun when you know the fallout was dire and they were very public about being grateful to have survived it intact.  It kills the mood and should make a person feel more cautious.  At least it should unless you’re in complete denial or it’s all an act in which case for the first time he wouldn’t be behaving with sincerity and I don’t know which is worse. 

Regarding the weird song descriptions, I was thinking if Billie was saying them as the Rev, a character (somewhat), I'd enjoy them.  But as Billie, yeah, I'm a bit hesitant.  Part of me throws up my shoulders and says, what can you do, might as well enjoy the ride, but there still is that nervousness in the back of my head.

• Like 3