Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

If I promise to go to church O-ON Sunday...

Oh, in the last chorus? No, I don't think I ever thought it was faulty.

• Like 3

Me neither, but then again I didn't hear the thing on CD, so there's little to no reason to suspect that what I heard was the disc's fault. ;)

Oh I always thought it was part of the song too (and a nice part of it, too!), that it's intentional. But when you say "the defective part" people usually know what you mean, otherwise you'd have to call it "the part where it skips" or something but that's a bit vague.

I think it is, too..

If I promise to go to church O-ON Sunday...

On the one hand I agree that Sassafras Roots is rather bland compared to the other songs. But on the other hand, I can't help but feel pity for the song since it's one of the 'forgotten' songs on Dookie. That, and Emenius Sleepus (another song IMO that doesn't really make any sense but at the same time, can't help but pity).

Hey, the thing's chord progression (?) is quite similar to Life During Wartime.

They've played it like that live, so no, it's intentional

Congratulations on not being one of the painfully musically illiterate people who hear a band play triplets for a bar and assume it sounds that way because there's something wrong with the CD.

Yeah, I was confused as fuck, I never thought that it was "defective".

Congratulations on not being one of the painfully musically illiterate people who hear a band play triplets for a bar and assume it sounds that way because there's something wrong with the CD.

Random triplets ftw! Green Day need more random triplets in their songs.

Strange how they only did it right at the end though? I wish green day would have a song where they go nuts with time signatures, not just slowing down or speeding up slightly :(

• Like 1

I don't think the lyrics are too bad. There are so many terribly worded lines in the trilogy that are worse than Carpe Diem, I mean, that line from Fell For you is terrible, just a new breed of bad: "I woke up in a pool of sweat. At first I thought that I pissed the bed".

Well, obviously it's a song about Billie's menopausal symptoms.

• Like 2

Strange how they only did it right at the end though? I wish green day would have a song where they go nuts with time signatures, not just slowing down or speeding up slightly :(

I don't think it's strange, it's just another way of changing things up in the last chorus.
  • Like 2

You wish Green Day were Biffy Clyro? :P

I don't think it's strange, it's just another way of changing things up in the last chorus.

I guess if they did it from the start no-one would have thought of it as a 'defect' then :P

Nooooo as much as I love gd they could never be Biffy, not in a billion years :lol:

Even Biffy wish they were Green Day, so that's an interesting thought.
  • Like 1

They've played it like that live, so no, it's intentional

Finally! I was waiting to see if anyone was smart enough to know it was just a short change of rhythm.

• Like 1

How they play Church On Sunday live just bothers me so much that I refuse to acknowledge that they've played it. Way way too fast.

Spoils a great song.

• Like 1

to be fair it would be nice to hear Green Day have a go at something more progressive

to be fair it would be nice to hear Green Day have a go at something more progressive

The Netw...ohhh, you meant something else. :D

The Netw...ohhh, you meant something else. :D

I would never call The Network prog rock. They're very new wave

• Like 1

I would never call The Network prog rock. They're very new wave

Hence the comment - 'progressive', not prog rock. I feel like a dork.

• Like 1

I think the Trilogy is the best thing Green Day has ever done. I just love it! That's how I found them.

I think the Trilogy is the best thing Green Day has ever done. I just love it! That's how I found them.

Keep listening to all their stuff, you'll think differently by next week. Or just put on AI, and you'll think better in about 10 minutes.

Hi DookieLukie.

• Like 2

Keep listening to all their stuff, you'll think differently by next week. Or just put on AI, and you'll think better in about 10 minutes.

What stuff should I listen to? I have listened to AI. Everyone seems to hate that album and says it's no good compared to old Green Day. I just sort of believed them haha. What else of Green Day's sounds like the Trilogy?

People keep saying that Billie Joe Armstrong is a nice guy. I have trouble believing it... because he had said that his behavior on stage is really him. If that is the case then everything else he does is an act.

• lizziebix featured this topic