Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

It's garbage. Bad songs (except wmuwse), bad production, the whole rock opera thing and mainstream fuck bush theme. Should I start talking about singles? AI must be the most overrated GD song ever. The songs are too long... Just for the start. I don't like it. Is that so wrong?

Can you use any word other than "bad?" Your vocabulary is apparently limited. "It's a bad album, because it has bad songs and bad production." Enlightening. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Can you use any word other than "bad?" Your vocabulary is apparently limited. "It's a bad album, because it has bad songs and bad production." Enlightening. :rolleyes:

Don't ask he'll just just substitute bad with shitty

• Like 1

It occurs to me that we don't discuss Warning nearly enough in this thread.

Misery was good the first few listens, but now I think it just drones on and on.

• Like 1

It's garbage. Bad songs (except wmuwse), bad production, the whole rock opera thing and mainstream fuck bush theme. Should I start talking about singles? AI must be the most overrated GD song ever. The songs are too long... Just for the start. I don't like it. Is that so wrong?

Can I get another Amen? (Amen!)

There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)

A gag, a plastic bag on a monument

vs.

Someone kill the DJ, shoot the fucking DJ

Voices in my head are saying...

"Shoot that fucker down."

I have said it 10000000x. And anyone who's ever viewed this thread or the inexplicable trilogy apologists thread knows the reasons why it fails.

• The lyrics are immature. They are often vague and lack purpose. They were far better at being funny/non-serious in their early careers.
  • The bass lines are lacking. This is something that wouldn't be as big of a deal on something as big as AI, but because of the stripped down production, the fact that we're missing bass is huge downside.
  • Lack of Billie/Mike harmonies. This is something GD is built on. And they're missing it.
  • Vocal filter too high, doesn't match the production. Billie is almost unrecognizable at times.
  • Guitars are too clean for the album sound
  • Drums weak as well

AI had a purpose. It captured that moment in time, back in the middle of the post 9/11 aftermath, so perfectly. They spoke up in a way few did. But the songs aren't all political in nature, the themes are universal. The combination of the lyrical wit and the tremendous rock melodies and harmonies, make for an unbeatable album.

• Like 1

Can I get another Amen? (Amen!)

There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)

A gag, a plastic bag on a monument

vs.

I have said it 10000000x. And anyone who's ever viewed this thread or the inexplicable trilogy apologists thread knows the reasons why it fails.

• The lyrics are immature. They are often vague and lack purpose. They were far better at being funny/non-serious in their early careers.
  • The bass lines are lacking. This is something that wouldn't be as big of a deal on something as big as AI, but because of the stripped down production, the fact that we're missing bass is huge downside.
  • Lack of Billie/Mike harmonies. This is something GD is built on. And they're missing it.
  • Vocal filter too high, doesn't match the production. Billie is almost unrecognizable at times.
  • Guitars are too clean for the album sound
  • Drums weak as well

AI had a purpose. It captured that moment in time, back in the middle of the post 9/11 aftermath, so perfectly. They spoke up in a way few did. But the songs aren't all political in nature, the themes are universal. The combination of the lyrical wit and the tremendous rock melodies and harmonies, make for an unbeatable album.

I agree, but to be fair Kill the DJ's chorus was symbolic.

Symbolic of the lyrical shittiness of the Trilogy? In that case it does it's job amazingly.

To be fair, Kill the DJ has good verses.

• Like 2

As is the verse from "Holiday" that he quoted. Doesn't take much to say which is the better use of symbolism. :P

• Like 1

its one of the most untypical songs of theirs ever

You know what else is untypical? Rest.

• Like 1

American Idiot never gets boring, I've heard the song so many times but it's so cleverly written and extremely important in Green Days career.

It's boring, something a beginner guitarist could come up with. The verse is like: "meh, just get over with it". Worst GD single. And the music video with all that hulk semen is just :sick:. So funny when people say it's extremely important.

That is the one thing the Trilogy has over American Idiot, there are some better basslines in it. The chorus of Kill the DJ is one (of quite a few) examples. The only decent (i.e. non-root note) bassline AI has is the 'Jesus filling out paperwork now' verse. Obviously AI wins hands down in every other department though!

Symbolic of the lyrical shittiness of the Trilogy? In that case it does it's job amazingly.

I don't disagree, but the chorus is painful

Finally other people who agree with me! I said on here a couple of months ago how crappy the KtDJ choruses were and I got shot down for it. :lol:

It's boring, something a beginner guitarist could come up with.

Dude, that is literally every single Green Day song ever :P But as for importance, if it weren't for American Idiot, you possibly wouldn't have your beloved Trilogy

It's boring, something a beginner guitarist could come up with. The verse is like: "meh, just get over with it". Worst GD single. And the music video with all that hulk semen is just :sick:. So funny when people say it's extremely important.

Have you even listened to every Green Day song ever??

Dude, that is literally every single Green Day song ever :P But as for importance, if it weren't for American Idiot, you possibly wouldn't have your beloved Trilogy

Beloved trilogy? Uno is the only trilogy album that's in my top 5. It's still better than AI. And why do you think there wouldn't be no trilogy without AI. AI has nothing to do with the trilogy. If anything if there wasn't AI there wouldn't be that monstrosity of an album 21'st CB was.

You know what else is untypical? Rest.

Untypicality ain't an asset per se. But it can be one.

Anyway, Kill the DJ has amazing verses, and bridge. But the chorus is horribly generic, unimaginative and repetitive. Still, it's a good song for sure, though

Beloved trilogy? Uno is the only trilogy album that's in my top 5. It's still better than AI. And why do you think there wouldn't be no trilogy without AI. AI has nothing to do with the trilogy. If anything if there wasn't AI there wouldn't be that monstrosity of an album 21'st CB was.

They were on the verge of splitting up before AI. Also, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Warner would have dropped them if they had released a different album which had performed poorly. You don't have to like AI, but you can't deny its importance.

They were on the verge of splitting up before AI. Also, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Warner would have dropped them if they had released a different album which had performed poorly. You don't have to like AI, but you can't deny its importance.

So basically you have just confirmed my statement that AI is the album that made them sell outs.

So basically you have just confirmed my statement that AI is the album that made them sell outs.

Green Day was sell outs the very second they signed to a major label... Meaning Dookie is a sell out album...

Who cares they make music they want to make

• Like 1

Green Day was sell outs the very second they signed to a major label... Meaning Dookie is a sell out album...

Who cares they make music they want to make

music revolution != sell out

• lizziebix featured this topic