Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I think the problem with Loss of Control is that it's just bad. Jarring or not, it's just terrible. It just feels like they're trying way too hard to summon an Insomniac level of anger.

I agree. There's also the fact that the lyrics are just so vague. Billie has always been very descriptive yet concise with his lyrics, so just to say "we're all crazy now" shows a total lack of the depth we're used to from him.

I agree. There's also the fact that the lyrics are just so vague. Billie has always been very descriptive yet concise with his lyrics, so just to say "we're all crazy now" shows a total lack of the depth we're used to from him.

That's the thing with the trilogy, it tries to do things that GD was successful doing in the past but it feels cheap and as you said, vague. The anger, the creativity, the preciseness, just weren't there.

And should've been on Nimrod. instead of Last Ride In.

Nimrod is perfect the way it is.

• Like 1

Ooh ooh unpopular opinion, I find Ha Ha You're Dead to be the worst song on Shenanigans and one of their worst songs of all time (although bear in mind that means I don't like it that much but still don't dislike it). Too football chant-y or something. Plus Pinhead Gunpowder's At Your Funeral (made shortly before it) is the far superior gloating over someone being dead song with vocals by Billie so I'd always rather listen to that instead.

And should've been on Nimrod. instead of Last Ride In.

I don't think Espionage existed when Nimrod came out (I assume, since it was written for the second Austin Powers film that came out in 1999). A fine song though. But I like Last Ride In as a retro, surfy, tongue in cheek interval for having a chilled out break in the middle of Nimrod which complements the retro/surfy sound subtly running through the album, the often tongue in cheek turns it takes and diverse range of songs very nicely and amusingly as well.
  • Like 2

When did he say it was one of his favorites?

He never did say it but I feel like it is because its one of the trilogy songs they play live a lot and they played it as the Foxboro Hot tubs and such. I just feel like it is, I feel the same about Stay The Night too

I don't think Espionage existed when Nimrod came out (I assume, since it was written for the second Austin Powers film that came out in 1999). A fine song though. But I like Last Ride In as a retro, surfy, tongue in cheek interval for having a chilled out break in the middle of Nimrod which complements the retro/surfy sound subtly running through the album, the often tongue in cheek turns it takes and diverse range of songs very nicely and amusingly as well.

It was a b-side to "Hitchin' a Ride", according to Wikipedia. I don't hate Last Ride in, it's just too long to justify its existence. :P

Ooh ooh unpopular opinion, I find Ha Ha You're Dead to be the worst song on Shenanigans and one of their worst songs of all time (although bear in mind that means I don't like it that much but still don't dislike it).

:shok:

• Like 1

It was a b-side to "Hitchin' a Ride", according to Wikipedia. I don't hate Last Ride in, it's just too long to justify its existence. :P

Oh really? I thought they must've written it for the film since it fits so well. Maybe they were just inspired to write a spy-like instrumental after watching the first one then :lol:, wouldn't surprise me with Billie being so obsessed with it he named his child after it and such. I can see it fitting with the other songs on Nimrod but I don't think it'd have a key use as part of the structure of the album like Last Ride In does so it'd be harder to find a place for it.

I just listened to Espionage again and Kay was right. It is awesome. :)

He never did say it but I feel like it is because its one of the trilogy songs they play live a lot and they played it as the Foxboro Hot tubs and such. I just feel like it is, I feel the same about Stay The Night too

I didn't know they played Makeout Party live at all. I thought it was played at Echoplex and that's it.

I didn't know they played Makeout Party live at all. I thought it was played at Echoplex and that's it.

They didn't play it often. I'm not sure what Jolly is talking about.

Even though Loss of control is pretty bad I do like the lines "hanging out all by myself atleast I'm in good company" and "I'm gonna hide in the shadows cause I really got nothing to say, we never had anything in common and I never liked you anyway"

• Like 1

I think he's thinking of the Foxboro shows they've done since the trilogy came out where they did perform it at those shows

I also got the vibe that it's one of Billie's favorites, he really enjoyed himself every time they played it

I also got the vibe that it's one of Billie's favorites, he really enjoyed himself every time they played it

See? He gets it!

I think he's thinking of the Foxboro shows they've done since the trilogy came out where they did perform it at those shows

And yes I am

Is there even a good video of it?

See? He gets it!

Ok thanks

Wow! That's Loud and Amy are the most successful sonic moment of the Trilogy.

*drops mic*

Can you explain what that means?

The music perfectly captures the slide from the wild party of Dos to the morning hangover of Tre. The apocalyptic end of W!TL is a sonic image of the party finally exploding out of control. The neighbors call the police, partiers are dragged away, the stereo is turned off. And then, as the lonely sound of Amy begins, you can see the last man standing, blinking neon lights casting shadows on his face as he eases himself down onto a nearby chair. He takes a look at the carnage around him--spilled beer, scattered trash, used condoms--and sighs at the thought of the cleanup to come. It's the only time in the Trilogy that I truly buy Billie's wankery about a "party concept" integrating the albums. So while there are better songs on the Trilogy, these two are the most successful, to me, in terms of communicating theme.

Now imagine how cool the Trilogy would have been if they stuck true to the theme.

See? He gets it!

And yes I am

My thought on Makeout Party is it could be more that it's a perfect song for Foxboro to play being so dirty and stuff (and they always look like they're really enjoying themselves when playing any song as the Foxies!) than that it's necessarily a favourite. Most likely a bit of both though.

I think the song they've played off Dos most is Stop When The Red Lights Flash? Again that could be more because it's a good fast song to get the crowd going though, like the rhythm is good. This is the kind of thing that makes me wish there could've been more interviews for them to talk about the songs and tell us their favourites.

Now imagine how cool the Trilogy would have been if they stuck true to the theme.

And better lyrics. :P Because even though I'm defending them musically, W!TL and Amy's lyrics still suck.

• lizziebix featured this topic